Thursday, September 01, 2005

Pocahontas was not a Buxom Indian Woman

Just a quote from my history teacher today. I thought it was funny. He was discussing how when John Smith was in Jamestown that Pocahontas was actually 5 or 6 years old, not, as he put it, a buxom indian woman. His description was priceless, I thought. Plus, it does grab your attention, doesn't it?

I woke up at 7 and got ready for school. A brief summary of each class:

PHILOSOPHY - Took a quiz (got em all right) and got back my essay from last week (45 out of 50 - meh I guess that's ok). Our teacher lectured all period, which is never boring, but not always interesting. O well. Everyone has there boring class.

HISTORY - Discussed the settling of some colonies. Fun class today. Great Pocahontas reference. Also, I made a potential friend. A girl named Esther sat behind me and I helped her on the notes from Tuesday. She's nice, and I gave her my email. I found out that she has a distanced relationship (like me) and is planning on going to Cal State University at Northridge next semester (like me, only for me it's in 2 years). That was cool.

MATH - Wow, today went by fast. The two hours flew today. It probably helped that George and I were laughing half the period at random things, but still, it was better today. We'll see how the next 14 weeks are. . .

I came home and was on the computer for a little bit, but then I had a couple errands to do. I took back a movie to Blockbuster for my sister, and then went to the nearby Barber Shop to get my ears lowered (that means hair cut). The lady moved fairly quickly, and did a good job. It was easy (I get a Number 5 all the way around - don't ask me what that means) and I was able to head home a few pounds lighter.

After a shower, I went to my room to relax. I watched some TV (another episode of HOUSE)and honestly tried very hard to fall asleep. I didn't accomplish this feat until a little after 500, but was then awoken less than 20 minutes later for dinner. I ate dinner (my brother is home - my dad picked him up today) with the famliy and then went on the computer.

Cy and I made plans to go to a dollar movie later on, and I left for his house a bit after 800. We hung out for a bit, and then left a little after 900. We went to the new-fangled 99 CENT store to get some candy (me - Zours; him - Sour Punch Straws) and discussed the unfortunate size of the sign on the front wall of the building. It is way disproportionate. It needs to be way bigger. Just a side note.

Then we went to CINEMARK 12, ("The Cheapest Seat in Town") for the 925 showing of CRASH. If you have not seen this movie, see it. Trust me. It's amazing, incredible, astounding, brilliant, unbelievable, and near-perfect in every way, shape, and form. Go to the imdb page (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0375679/) to learn more about it. It's top notch entertainment though. Do yourself a favor, and view this film. You won't be disappointed.

Now I'm home, counting down the hours until I get to see my Heather. She is coming home after her last class of the day gets out around 1130. I can't wait!!!!

Sleep well children - tomorrow is Friday. And you know what they say about Friday, so let's thank God, shall we?

- - - "It's the sense of touch. In any real city, you walk, you know? You brush past people, people bump into you. In LA, nobody touches you. We're always behind this metal and glass. I think we miss that touch so much, that we crash into each other, just so we can feel something."
- - - Don Cheadle's character in CRASH (opening monologue of film)

Love one another y'all,

JUSTIN

1 comment:

Cy said...

great movie. and yeah the sign needs to be changed.