Friday, September 02, 2005

Nut'n Like Bee'n There

This, ladies and gentlemen, is the ridiculously idiotic and sophomoric catchphrase of the 2005 Antelope Valley Fair and Alfalfa Festival. Not they were any better in the past (among the past entries was "Space Suits and Cowboy Boots" - cmon!) but I especially don't like this one. It's just one man's opinion though.

I woke up and had a completely unproductive morning/afternoon. Heather was on her way home, but I wouldn't be able to see her until almost 600, so you would think that I would preoccupy myself with many things. You would think wrong. The one thing I did that I'm quite glad about is a math lesson. Two math lessons are unofficially due on Tuesday, and I figured that I would be spening a lot of time with my lady friend this weekend, so I got one lesson out of the way. This was a little over an hour of my afternoon. The rest of the afternoon was made up of computer browsing, channel surfing, and magazine reading (this week's Entertainment Weekly came in the mail today - Fall TV Preview). Not the most desireable time, but I made up for it in the evening.

Heather showed up around 600 and we chatted with my mom and sister for a bit. Then it was off to the Fair. Heather wanted to go, and I was willing to accompany her. As it turns out, the Fair isn't as good as we thought. We looked for a good dinner place for about the first hour. We settled on a steak quesadilla and roasted corn (two different booths). We walked around, watching a couple of minutes of random shows to pass the time. We found the animals finally, which was actually the reason Heather wanted to go. She is a huge animal-lover and it was worth the price of admission to see her face light up while petting the baby goat or holding the little chick in her hands. She brings a smile to my face so quickly and so easily, it's crazy. I really miss her when she is away.

We did a couple more kinda shows (where we'd sit for a bit and watch and applaud half-heartedly) and then we payed a total of $4 to see a gigantic horse and a gigantic steer. They were, in fact, gargantuan! Biggest things I've ever seen. I have not been that uncomfortable in a long time, I'll just put it that way. That steer scared the crap out of me and it was tied up and in a pen. Goodness gracious!

We rode the ferris wheel (a must for any Fair visit) which is something I'm not that excited about. I can pretend to be big and bad, but get me on a ferris wheel, and all I want is to get the heck off and be back on solid ground. One of the few dreams that I can remember from my life (I can only recall a few and I'm not sure why) is one involving me on a ferris wheel and it breaking off the restraints or whatever and rolling away like a gigantic tire. Scary stuff. We made it okay, though, and the ground and I were together again. We had not one, but two, desserts (Dippin' Dots and a Churro) which made us both feel like running again, for fear of becoming like the rest of Obese America. Then we laughed at ourselves for that silly thought, because we realized that we have self-control! :D

One thing I realized while at the Fair was that I am quite happy and content with who I have become already and who I am turning into. The people who live in this town are just ridiculous. If people from outside the Antelope Valley come to this thing (hey, it's possible) then our teenagers and young adults are giving off a seriously bad light to this town. And maybe it's the correct light, because our town just might be that bad. Or is it humankind in general? That's my guess. I said this evening to Heather: "You know, it's people like that that make me rethink the whole creation thing and consider the fact that maybe we did come from monkeys. Because seriously, look at them. I would consider him to be in the initial stages of it all, actually, and maybe we're in the final stages." I'm kidding of course, but it's true. Teenagers, as a group, are animals. I would rather hang out with feces-slingin chimpanzees then with some of these juveniles. And this is not to say I'm perfect or beautiful or flawless (that's perfect, but you get the point). I'm just saying that I'm happy with me. It's not everyday that you can say that. So I'm gonna say it today.

That was enough Fair for us and we headed out at 1000. It was a fun night, but mainly because it was just the two of us again hanging out. We both really miss it, and it is certainly enjoyable. She headed home after chatting with my mom about pedicures and such and realizing that she was tired (a long day will do that to you). Tomorrow will be a good day. I can feel it.

I'm not tired, but I'll probably go to bed soon. I hope all of you guys had a good day, and I'll be back with another day of my life tomorrow night. I know it's hard, but just try to contain your excitement. Good night all - Have good dreams, and not bad ones involving ferris wheels.

- - - "If you ever start feeling like you have the goofiest, craziest, most dysfunctional family in the world, all you have to do is go to a state fair. Because five minutes at the fair, you'll be going, 'You know what, we're alright. We're dang near royalty."
- - - Comedian Jeff Foxworthy

JUSTIN

1 comment:

Cy said...

"That steer scared the crap out of me and it was tied up and in a pen."

"I can pretend to be big and bad, but get me on a ferris wheel, and all I want is to get the heck off and be back on solid ground."


Wuss.