Monday, October 31, 2005

A Grab Bag: Three-Day's Worth

So it's now Monday night - it's Halloween. The last time I posted was Friday night. It's been three days and a lot has happened. Instead of the good ol' paragraph form, I'm gonna list all these fun events (and not-so-fun times). Sound good? Ok, good, here it goes: (and this is NOT in any chronological order whatsoever - enjoy :)

- Watched the following movies: THE BIG LEBOWSKI (A), THE MAN WHO WASN'T THERE (B-), SAW II (B), THE WEATHER MAN (A-) - grades given follow each film's title. The first three I watched today actually. The first two were for class. My paper on a director is due Friday and I picked Joel Coen. I couldn't use the great O BROTHER, WHERE ART THOU? as one of the "three minimum" films because we did that one for one of our weekly films. So I had to pick two Coen movies that I hadn't seen in addition to the near-flawless FARGO, which I was certainly going to use. LEBOWSKI was funny, original, and quite entertaining; it was a Coen brothers movie. SAW II was disappointing until the final 20 minutes or so when it redeemed itself. It, as did the first movie, threw me for several loops and drove me crazy cuz I couldn't figure it out. Overall, the first one stunned me SO much that it gets the nod, but the second one is defintely a keeper, not an ultimate letdown. Bring on SAW III! And if you are a fan of the dark comedy/dramedy kinda thing, go see THE WEATHER MAN with Nicolas Cage. This man is a brilliant actor! I will see anything that he comes out with in the future. Even if it looks crappy, I'll be there. He has my $5.

- I really like THE EXIT, a new band that Chelsea showed me. They describe themselves as "punk with catchy pop hooks played by guys who hate pop bands with catchy hooks". This description alone makes me like their music. But, I like the music anyway. Check em out: www.theexitrock.com

- Because the NBA season is about to start again, ESPN CLASSIC has been showing great classic NBA games. I've been catching bits and pieces of games with the greats: Bird, Magic, Jordan. It's been awesome. I really like watching these guys play, cuz they are so much better than players today, despite the media's best efforts to get us to forget the greats. Yes, Lebron, Dwayne Wade, and Kobe are good players, but they are no Jordan. There will never be another "His Royal Airness". Ever.

- Had an AMAZING Saturday with my baby girl. We met at the Howard Hughes Promenade off the 405 Freeway (amazingly enough, we got there at the same time) and had just a great time! I knew that she was gonna wear this new skirt that she had gotten, so I came in nice black slacks and a long-sleeved blue collared shirt. I also got to wear my wing-tipped shoes (you know the "swing" shoes - black with the white on the sides) for the first time. Man, those things are awesome looking! I relished in the looks of others. I guess they really weren't looking at me though :) We went to that Putting Edge place (glow-in-the-dark mini golf) and it was pretty neat. Too many little kids running around for my liking, but the experience was well worth it. Afterwards, we went to a chicken place that I thought would be like Boston Market. It wasn't. It sucked. Then we saw the aforementioned THE WEATHER MAN. Heather liked it too, which was cool. I like the experience of a movie more when I know she's enjoying herself. We were able to have some time at her apartment for Egyptian War, Family Guy, and laughing as that is always a must. An outstanding day altogether.

- I won this week's football pool! I correctly predicted 11 out of 14 games and had the closest points to the Monday night game (I said 47, there was 39) so I won almost $90. Sweet!

- Went to work on Sunday. It was actually pretty sweetness. I ran the board (Desk Coordinator) and it went really well. Imagine my surprise when Sunday ran smoothly and didn't require a manager's assistance. Imagine no surprise and you'll be about where I am. Now, I'm not arrogant. I'm just confident that I know what I'm doing at the Host stand.

- Got an extra hour of sleep on Saturday night. Wait, you did too! O I thought I was special or something. Dangit.

- Went to church on Sunday. Pastor Dave was back from a two-week conference in Australia. He spoke really well, and again I wish I was a better Christian. Then Monday comes and I seem to forget everything he says. Some call it not really listening, but I call it my human nature. Cuz, get this, the human nature sucks. Check out the world people. Need I say more?

- Witnessed the following oddities:
1. A black woman (maybe mid-twenties) who was clearly intoxicated was yelling at this group of white guys in the Movie Theatre parking lot, asking if they wanted "a treat". I think she was implying herself. This woman was no treat.
2. Trick-or-treating on Saturday. That's right. There were kids at the Promenade who were going from store to store getting candy. We were just plain flabbergasted. One girl didn't even have a costume. Come on! Both Heather and I decided it has to not only be Halloween to trick-or-treat, but a costume is pretty mandatory. We would have turned away that one girl. Sorry, but we just had to. She wasn't prepared!
3. I miss my buddy Cy. I didn't witness this. I just really realized it tonight. He's my scary movie buddy - he likes that crap and he got me kinda into it. It kinda sucked seeing SAW II tonight without that wuss sittin next to me. I missed his yelp for help like when we saw the first SAW. Ha I will never forget that one bud - -

- I'm gonna add a couple things to the blog beginning tomorrow, November 1. Every post on the first of the month will include a list of the 3 most anticipated movies/music/DVD's and whatnot that are coming that month. Yes, that's right. A new feature. Also, maybe 3-4 times a week (which of course means only twice) I'm gonna try to have a sports-dedicated section in preparation of my future. Gotta start somewheres. Thanks Tom for the idea. You get credit.

- I was gonna post this on Saturday night when I got home, but I was beyond tired, and could barely walk up my stairs, let alone wait for this page to load and type it, so: I am SO in love with Heather Lynn Acuff! It's not that high school "Tee hee, he/she is cute" love. It's not that "O, so-and-so makes me happy, so I guess I love em" love. It's that "God, let the time between now and our wedding day fly by so that I can spend every night next to her and every day working so she can have whatever she wants and at the same time making her happy just by being there and did I mention how much better looking she is than me and I am the luckiest bastard on the planet right now" kind of love. It's real. You can be jealous. You can be skeptical. I could not care less. I am the happiest I ever been, thanks to this lovely young woman. Today was 21 months for us, and as I put it "It must be for real if she's hung around this long". Thanks for everything baby. I hope I make you as happy as you make me. Always.

- Another week begins. This is week 11 of 16 in my first semster of college. Holy crap!

So that's been me the last few days. This could be a book, sheesh! So, yeah, hope y'all had a Happy Halloween, and that your November rocks! But, remember, I'm here for you (I guess). And start dieting now for the holiday run. It'll be here o so fast. Yes. It's true.

- - - "You know, strikes and gutters. Ups and downs"
- - - The Dude (Jeff Bridges) in THE BIG LEBOWSKI in response to the "How've you been?" question. Picture perfect line. O and bowling rocks.

Night world,

JUSTIN

No comments: