Monday, October 24, 2005

Bittersweet Symphony

You pop-culture buffs might remember this great 90's hit by The Verve. It was truly one of those one-hit wonder kind of things. It's that song that plays at the end of CRUEL INTENTIONS when (spoilers ahead) Ryan Philippe has just been hit by the car and Reese Witherspoon is crying over him as he dies. Yep, that's the end of the movie, which contrary to many people that I know, I quite enjoy. But that song. Great song. And I'm liking it more on a day like today, which saw my two best friends up and leave me, if only for a short period of time.

I woke up this morning a little before 1000. My lovely Heather came over around 1100 to see me before she had to leave at 1230. This was the nicest yet hardest hour and a half I've been a part of in recent memory. We sat in my recliner and she fell asleep for a little while I watched some football. It's just so comfortable to have her near me. So she left to head back to Long Beach and that was number 1 on the bad list of the day.

After she left I moped around for a little while I watched the end of the morning football games. After they finished I got myself together and I took a shower and stuff. After that I got ready for work and headed out around 1500. I stopped by Cy's house to drop off our portable DVD player so he could use it on the plane today. He was all packed and ready to leave for the most part, but was still not heading to the airport for another 2 hours. I hugged him goodbye (in a macho way of course ha ha) and said "See ya in 5 months". It sucks. That's number 2.

I went to work and was there a bit early. I went in and watched some football in the bar til it was my time to clock in. I did and another fun night at Johnny Carino's had begun. It wasn't too bad tonight. It got a little crazy, but not so bad. A buddy of mine named Paul came in tonight with his family and that was cool. I haven't seen him in awhile, so that was nice. My loneliness took a step to the next level when I heard that the guy at Table 71 was proposing to his girlfriend at our restaurant. I mean, it's exciting for him sure (especially since she said yes) but I'm not gonna excited unless it's finally my turn to do it. I can't wait, but I know I have to, so that's how that is. It was kinda cool how he did it though. He had the server bring a big plate (our "grandioso" plate) with the words "Marry me" written in caramel on it. The ring was nearby in the case and that is that. She cried. They kissed. Everyone was happy. Pity party at the host stand! And the only one invited is me. Cuz that's all that wants to come :( Aw sad times

I came home and watched some TV/played on the computer for most of the night. I had a late night snack around 1130 (cold fried chicken and cole slaw) while I caught up on the new season of CURB YOUR ENTHUSIASM (thanks TIVO). Funny stuff.

Now I'm tired. Free day tomorrow. Gonna catch up on some schoolwork. I hope.

- - - "Cuz it's a bittersweet symphony this life.
Trying to make ends meet,
You're a slave to the money,
Then you die.

- - - "Bittersweet Symphony" by The Verve

Nighty night,

JUSTIN

No comments: