Saturday, October 15, 2005

Saturday Night's Alright (for Fighting)

Title of one of the few good Elton John songs. I think he is an amazing pianist, but I just don't like his type of music. This song however, I find to be very catchy and it gets stuck in your head real good. Plus, today is Saturday. And tonight was alright. For fighting though???

So I woke up around 1045 and stayed in bed til 1130 or so. My friend Tom (hey Tom) called and said that he was home for the weekend. He goes to Biola University in La Mirada and was home for another one of his friend's birthday. Tom was my first friend at Desert Christian and was a constant influence in my life from grade five through the hell of middle school and the awkwardness of high school. Good friend. One of those you know will always be there no matter how long it's been since you talked. We actually worked together all of the summer of 2004. We got a job together at Healthsouth Antelope Valley Surgery Center (thanks Mrs. Serrano) and worked countless mind-numbing hours in the filing area of a Surgery Center laughing at the oddest names and the colonoscopy photos (quite possibly the grossest thing ever). Good times. So, anywho, we had talked about getting some lunch since he was in town and did just that. I picked up some In-n-Out and brought it back to my house where he met up with me. We ate our double-doubles and talked about old times, new times, and well, times in general. It was nice and he left around 1415 or so.

I was able to get one math lesson done before I had to get ready for work. I really really really really really didn't feel like working today. O well. So I go in and from the second I get in there it's crazy. Within 10 minutes of clocking in I was already hit with a table of 12 and a table of 10. We sat them and then were hit with another two parties of 10. From there, it went beyond crazy. Within the next 45 minutes, we had the following large parties: 7, 6, 8, 10, 7, 10, and 8. So I was trying to figure out where all these were going and I still had the small parties to seat. So the general manager comes up and sees that there's all 6 hosts standing there and says "There's too many hosts on. Who's going home?" What he meant was just for tonight, as he was cutting 2 hosts for the night. One of the hosts who works really well with me volunteered much to my chagrin and she was gone for the night. So I raised my hand, much to the chagrin (isn't that a cool word?) of the other hosts who actually like me. Well one of em that doesn't like me was like "It's ok. I can be desk coordinator. I'm cool like that." She said this very snooty and I was like "Peace out!" I was gone o so fast, you have no idea. I am partially hoping that it didn't go well tonight so that they appreciate me a little more. We'll see. But, heck yes! Freakin A! A Saturday night off!

So I had only worked an hour and a half and it was 545 or so. I went over to Heather's house (although she is not there) and relayed said story to Chelsea and Barbara (that's her sister and mom). After hanging out for almost 45 minutes or so, I headed home and in the rain no less. I was home and then got to play a great joke on my mom. As I came in the house I said "It's a good thing Famous Dave's is hiring" referring to the new barbecue joint going up next to Johnny Carino's. She was bummed immediately, saying "You have GOT to be kidding me". I said yeah and told her what happened. It was a good laugh to say the least.

So I was able to eat dinner with the family (minus the hard-working father) for the first time in a long time and just chill after that. I watched the Angels lose again and then watched DOGMA, my third Kevin Smith film in as many weeks. It is good and seems to be more philosophical than comedic, but it's good nonetheless. I put it under CLERKS and MALLRATS though. Both of those were funnier.

I got another math lesson done and have been browsing on the internet while watching JERSEY GIRL (also a Kevin Smith movie, albeit a way different Kevin Smith movie then the norm) on TV. I like this movie actually. Now I'm tired and ready for bed. Tomorrow I have church and work at 1600. I can't contain my excitement about work. Actually I can. And I am.

So goodnight then world,

- - - "It's the humans - it's always the humans. They were given paradise; they threw it away. They were given this planet; they destroyed it. They were favored best among all His endeavors; and some of them don't even believe He exists. Their ego-mania corroded Hell and made it dark and crimson."
- - - Bartleby (Ben Affleck) in DOGMA (seriously, some of it is very profound)

Justin

No comments: