Tuesday, October 18, 2005

Satan is a Parabola

Or a Hyperbola. Or an Ellipse. . .

Cy and I had a song entitled the above when we took Trigonometry our Junior year. Now, I'm right back in the middle of the world of conics thanks to college Algebra. On to the last couple days. . .

So yesterday I went to Long Beach. Once I got down there (1400ish thanks to the torrential downpour that made me feel like freakin Noah for awhile) we went to BORDERS to get my first fun reading book since probably middle school. Now I Can Die in Peace : How ESPN's Sports Guy Found Salvation, with a Little Help from Nomar, Pedro, Shawshank, and the 2004 Red Sox by Bill Simmons is a book that I have been looking forward to reading for many a day. I have been reading the SPORTS GUY's column for a few months now and really enjoy his style of reading. His book is a collection of his columns from the past seven years or so that he has edited and commented on. He includes footnotes all along the sides of the pages adding his commentary on what he wrote way-back-when. I bought 2 copies, one for me and one for my cousin Travis. He lives in Maryland and is a huge Boston Red Sox fan. Coincidentally enough, Bill Simmons is going on a West Coast Book Signing Tour this next week, and I'm gonna go meet him a week from today in Westwood and get both books signed. I'm stoked!

So after BORDERS, we headed to her dad's house in San Clemente. We sat around and chatted while dinner was prepared and then enjoyed a top-notch meal of Filet Mignon, Twice-Baked Potatoes, and Asparagus. It was crazy good and I was sufficiently stuffed afterwards. We stayed til a little after 2100 and then headed back to her apartment. Once there, we had barely enough time to snuggle up in a blanket and get warm before I had to head home. This is always the worst possible thing. Maybe ever.

I made it home around 1230 this morning and fell asleep around 200. Needless to say, when 700 came around for school, I didn't want to get up. I reluctantly did and proceeded to get ready for school. Today was. . .

PHILOSOPHY - Pretty boring again. I learned that it's REALLY hard to stay awake in this class on 5 hours of sleep. My head did that whiplash thing about 11 times or so. I think I actually dozed off a couple of times, but o well. I got my midterm back and I got a B+ on it, giving me a 92 in the class. Yay for an A!

HISTORY - Kept awake by taking good notes. Next test is Thursday. Hope I do just as good.

MATH - Grrrr! As stated before, we're getting into conics, which are hyperbolas, parabolas, and ellipses. It's getting hard and confusing, so we'll see how it all goes.

The rest of the day was veging. I read my book (it's great so far!), watched some TV, did some computer stuff, ate dinner with the family, watched some more TV (TIVO'd episodes of tonight's THE OFFICE and MY NAME IS EARL were both high comedy!) and am now blogging.

I'm really tired and am gonna go to bed here really soon. Tomorrow I work, so expect another Johnny Carino's update tomorrow night.

Sleep good -

- - - "Remember my running joke about all the ways to spell "Antoine" in sports? Well, I think the name "Caitlin" is the white/female version of that -- there's Caitlin, Katelyn, Katelinn, Kate Lynn, Catelyn ... I kept waiting for someone to ask me to sign for a "Kate'lin." All the Caitlins need to get together and decide on one spelling. And while we're at it, same goes for Jennie/Jenny, Shaun/Sean/Shawn, Kelly/Kellie and Kristin/Kristen. Strangely, the Kristins/Kristens had the biggest attitude -- when I asked them how to spell it, each side would say "With the e!" or "With the I!" like they were completely incredulous that I had to ask."
- - - Bill Simmons on his East Coast Book Signing Tour

JUSTIN

No comments: