Tuesday, November 01, 2005

Terrible Tip-Off

OK so my day was, in a quick review:

Meh.

I went to school and nothing really happened outside the ordinary. I came home and did 3 straight hours of math homework to try to get caught up. I did 4 lessons and now sit 2 lessons behind. That's all you need to know.

But, the more important thing was truly that this was day 1 of the 2005-2006 NBA season. Basketball has, is, and always will be my sport. Tonight showcased my team, the Phoenix Suns, at home against the Dallas Mavericks. The Suns are the only team in any sport that I truly am a die-hard fan of. It's just that simple. If the Suns lose, I'm pissed. It ruins an entire evening if they come up short at the end of 48 minutes. I hate when they lose!

They lost.

They were up by 17 halfway through the 4th Quarter and gave the game away wrapped in pretty packaging with bows and everything. It went to overtime and they got back up by 5 with less than a minute left. Leave it to the Suns to the let the other team back in it. They lost in double overtime. Now I'm mad.

But none of you are probably interested in that anyway. On to this month's ENTERTAINMENT picks:

MOVIES:

JARHEAD (November 4) - Academy Award winning director Sam Mendes (American Beauty, Road to Perdition) shows us what happened in Desert Storm and Jake Gyllenhal, Jamie Foxx, and Peter Sarsgaard play soldiers. I can't wait! This has been my most anticipated movie of the year actually, ever since I saw the early trailers. Great stuff.

WALK THE LINE (November 18) - This year's RAY. This one is about the life and music by country/rock-n-roll superstar Johnny Cash. Joaquin Phoenix looks just like him and Reese Witherspoon looks bearable as June Carter Cash. I'm excited to see how it turns out. My hope is for a response much like the one that RAY received last year, and hopefully Johnny Cash can get some more recognition for the amazing career that he had. Even after his death, I'm sure Cash would appreciate the filmmaker's efforts.

HARRY POTTER AND THE GOBLET OF FIRE (November 18) - A no-brainer. Ever since Heather made me (yes she made me - I resisted) watch the first one, I really became interested in the films. We watched all 3 within a couple of weeks and they are all quite entertaining actually, especially the third one. The trailers for this one have been way awesome, and I'm excited to see one of these in the theatres. Plus, it's the first Harry Potter film that is rated PG-13. Should be fun.

Honorable Mention: CHICKEN LITTLE (11/04) (Go Zach Braff!) and THE ICE HARVEST (11/23) (dark comedy with the always great John Cusack and Billy Bob Thornton).

DVD:

SCRUBS: SEASON 2 (November 15) - Need I say more? The funniest show on television arrives in another season pack. I bought season 1 on the first day it came out and will do the same for this one. Go do the same.

SEINFELD: SEASONS 5/6 Collector's Gift Set (November 22) - The funniest show EVER comes out with another gift set. Last Christmas, seasons 1-3 were my only gift wishes and this Christmas is no different. All I want for Christmas is some Seinfeld! And not that there's anything wrong with that.

MR. AND MRS. SMITH (November 29) - A surprisingly great film that was just plain enjoyable this past June. Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie, despite ruining their names with their affair, have great chemistry and Vince Vaughn is one of the funniest guys in movies right now. Great film for men, women, and, well, that about covers it.

That's the stuff for today. Hope you enjoyed it. I would have but my boys lost. Dang Suns!

- - - No quote tonight. I'm pissed.

Night,

JUSTIN

No comments: