Sunday, November 27, 2005

The Weekend Grab-Bag: The AIDS-free Version

Welcome internet kiddies - it's the Weekend Grab-Bag! This is the fifth installment of the Weekend Grab-Bag; just thought I'd point that out. I'll get to explaining the title a little later, cuz as you know, the following is in no way chronological. . .

- I worked 6 LONG hours on Friday night and 3 1/2 short hours tonight. I also got paid today. Next week I only have 3 days scheduled (Wed. night, Sat. morn, Sun. night) so I might try to cover for some people again. It's the only way I can get any hours it seems. Apparently the management fired 5, count them, 5 Table Tenders this past week and Hosts are on deck. There should be at least 4 heading to the chopping block, although I've heard at least 3 saying that they're gonna leave. Meh. That just means more hours for me and less competition on the moving-up-to-Server plan. We'll see.

- Listening to constant Johnny Cash music. I love everything about it.

- Watched two TIVO'd episodes of HOUSE with Heather. She is now caught up with me, but WE are now three episodes back. We'll have to pull a marathon come Christmas break. This is the best drama on all of television. You heard it here first folks!

- Did anyone go shopping the day after Thanksgiving? I did it once (about 4 or 5 years ago) and will never, EVER, do it again. This is one reason why: http://video.woodtv.com/index.php?video_id=1837 - watch this video. This might be one of the stupidest moments in human history. People ARE stupid. It's unbelievable the lengths we humans go to for such useless, materialistic crap. In a way, the video is funny. Funny sad, I guess, more than funny ha ha. Still, you've gotta crack a smile! (Sidenote: The first time I watched this, I was rolling with laughter. So, yeah, I guess it is funny!)

- Is anyone else tired of turkey?

- I have 4 more days of school! I can't believe it! In two short weeks, I will be officially one-fourth of my way thru AVC. That's kinda cool.

- I went on a double-date on Saturday night. It was myself, my beautiful Heather, her best friend and my good buddy Chary (that's short for Charmayne) and her new flame Nathan. We met at 1700 at good ol' CINEMARK 22 for the 1720 showing of RENT, the movie musical based on the super-successful Broadway play of the same name. Now, let me just say that it was the girl's choice of movie. They wanted to see it "Cuz it's a musical!" - this is not a good enough reason. As I told my friend Emily, maybe I wasn't intelligent enough to understand all of the underlying satire and jabs at politics and our world and all that jazz, (did you like that "musical" analogy??) but I just didn't get it. I did not like the singing (it was talk-singing; think Tevye from FIDDLER ON THE ROOF, only crap-like) or the music, which is something that I actually do enjoy. I own burned copies of both the MOULIN ROUGE and CHICAGO soundtracks cuz I like the singing and such. RENT's music just didn't appeal to me. Plus, the performances didn't do much for me either. I don't know - I just didn't like the movie. Is that not enough for you?

RENT - (D)

Don't judge me. And I did not dislike the film cuz it's about AIDS and homosexuality and such. I'm ok with it to an extent. While I don't agree with homosexuality and find it truly gag-inducing at times, if it's for you, I will not tell you not to do it. I don't think it's right that some hospitals (so I've heard - it might be all, it might be none) won't let partners see their significant others in some areas when it's just reserved for "relatives". Ok, sure, they're not "related" but on some (albeit very very odd) level these people mean something to each other. Don't deprive them of being with each other just cuz they're a little different. Don't make gay marriages illegal. Yes, it's gross. I agree with that. But why can't they be together like Heather and I can't wait to be. If all they want is to have every moment together (I know how this feels) then go for it. Just don't kiss in front of me (That, my online friends, is not pretty). Ok, so my point: I didn't feel sorry for these people in the movie! I don't feel bad for these people with AIDS cuz they should have known not to put that diry needle in their arm or sleep with that other gay man. Yes, I know that AIDS wasn't prominent then, and that they didn't know about it. HOWEVER, they could have figured out that it wasn't beneficial for their bodies to be doing those things. So, I think this was a central issue in the movie. Are we supposed to feel bad for them and love them JUST cuz they have AIDS? Why can't we have sympathy for them cuz they're poor? Young? New Yorkers? (Ok, so that last one is jokey, but you get my point) Meh. I just don't get it.

- After the movie, we went back to Chary's and had fajitas made by the women (good stuff) and then watched RUNAWAY BRIDE on the TV. Nothing special of a night, but it was fun at times. I did it for Heather and I would do it again.

- ROUNDERS is one of the greatest guy films ever. It is certainly the best Poker-based film. It is on my list of favorite films (not greatest films, favorite - there is a difference) and will continue to stay there for all of time. Ed Norton is great, as is Matt Damon. But then again, when are they not?

- Tomorrow is a free day for me. I have lots to do, but I have plenty of time to do it in. Should be fun.

- Check out this site: http://www.blastbilliards.com/ - I am addicted to this game. I have played several versions of it and it just plain rocks my socks. Also, do yourself a favor and watch some of these: http://www.angryalien.com/ - (The 30-Second Bunnies Theatre Library ~ in which a troupe of bunnies parodies a collection of movies by re-enacting them in 30 seconds, more or less). Good stuff for those who have never seen these.

- I miss my Heather! She went back to Long Beach today. We had a great week together. Every week is a great week with her though. AWWWW :D

- That's pretty much it for this installment. I'm tired, as it's now 0011 on Monday morning. I have been playing online poker, watching ROUNDERS and now SILENCE OF THE LAMBS, burning a Johnny Cash mix CD for myself, and other miscellaneous stuff so this has taken me awhile. It's done though. This is gonna be a fun week (you'll see when we get there) and I'm looking forward to it. Have a good Monday y'all - I know I will.

- PS: If you want to comment and you're not a member of blogger.com, it is possible. Just post as anonymous and make sure in your post you state your name so I know who you are!

- - - "Three words: No More Turkey!"
- - - Me again (I'm done with it!)

Pining,

JUSTIN

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, this is new. I like. Now I don't have to store up...thoughts? Anyway, I'd like to discuss your stance on Homosexuality sometime. But I'd rather just be able to hang out with you and be part of your blog. I don't know, there's just something about seeing my name in print...anyways, I enjoyed the blog (as always).

Anonymous said...

"Thanks! It was great to see you, too! Yes, Justin's house was AMAZING! And don't worry about missing church, I forgive you!"
(What I would have posted, but you left me out of your weekend. Thanks friend...)
;-) Just kidding!
~Mallory Jill~