Wednesday, August 24, 2005

I would be LETTUCE. . .

I'll get to that later. . .

So greetings to you all. Tonight's blog is the culmination of one fast-paced, busy, busy day and one boring and slow day. That's why I don't feel bad about combining them. I think. . .

So I woke up at 630 yesterday morning to get ready for . . . SCHOOL! Holy Crap I can't believe it's that time again. So I got myself together and left the house at 725 and arrived at ANTELOPE VALLEY COLLEGE at 730. As I was driving, my hands were shaking I was so nervous. I had a pit in my stomach, and I was cold. First day fears. What a maroon, I know, but come on. It's my first day of COLLEGE.

My first class was to begin at 800, but I wanted to get there early, (mostly for parking reasons) and so I did. I found my first class quickly, and when the teacher showed up, I held the door for a few people (a lost art. I'm serious.) and found a seat in the middle of the middle aisle.

PHILOSOPHY 106 - So my teacher's name is BARBARA HOGAN. She's pretty cool. I would rank her (and strictly on first impressions) a 7 out of 10 on the "JUSTIN'S TEACHER SCALE". The class is gonna be harder than I thought. A lot of reading is to be done, and there is a quiz every morning of class. We're gonna learn all about plato, SOCRATES, aristotle, and guys like that. I'm holding out hope that the class will be ok, and I think it will. It runs from 800-920, so it's not that bad. There's a guy in my class (African-American guy) who's name is Miles Davis. I think that's funny :D . . . So we went through the syllabus and were let out about 20-25 minutes early. This would be a trend throughout the day.

HISTORY 107 - This was my most stressful part of the day. I was attempting to crash the class, because I could not register for it. The professor is probably the most well-liked one on the entire campus, thus his classes fill up quickly. I was twelfth (an odd-looking word) on the waiting list (which was almost thirty long) and was barely hanging on to hope. I took a seat, though, and waited. That was all I could do. It ended up that several registered people failed to show up and over half of the waiting list in front of me did the same. I was the last crasher to earn a spot in the class! It seems like it's gonna be an awesome class. It's American History from the exploration and colonization to 1877 (about 10 years after the Civil War ended) and I truly enjoy that era. It runs from 930-1050, but I kinda wish it was longer, because DR. MATTHEW LEE JAFFE is awesome (a 9.5 out of 10 on the SCALE)! He is somewhat eccentric and has a dry sense of humor, but I love it, and I spent most of the class laughing. I can't wait to see how this class goes. (Read: I'm very optimistic at this point)

MATH 130 - This is a college Algebra class. It runs from 1100 to 105 and that is one long-ass class, (have you ever seen someone with a long ass? I haven't, but if it looks anything like this math class, then I don't ever one see one) let me tell you. A plus is that two of my fellow graduates of DESERT CHRISTIAN HIGH SCHOOL (George Argyris and Angela Shoemaker for those of you keeping score at home) are in the class as well. George and I have been buddies for awhile, so it was definitely helpful to see him in the room. The teacher, MICHAEL TRAN, is ok (a 6{4+2} - 6{3+2} - 1 on the SCALE; psst. . . that equals 5). He doesn't speak great English, so it's a little difficult to comprehend all that he is saying. He had us get into groups of four - - we got into these by drawing the same cards out of a deck; odd, I know, but innovative - - and we had to interview each other in a round. You know, A interviews B, who interviews C, and so on. We had to answer 3 questions: 1) Name; 2) Goal/Major at AVC; 3) If you were a fruit/vegetable, based on your personality, what would you be and why? - WEIRD!!! I wondered if I had entered the Antelope Valley Preschool or something. So George and I started coming up with some fun entries (I'll leave it at that) and ended up with these: ME: I would be lettuce cuz I can be useful for many different things (i.e. Salad, Hamburgers, Cole Slaw) and I am better dressed (cue laughter)! GEORGE: I would be brussel sprouts cuz I am an acquired taste and you'll like me better smothered in butter (cue a bit more laughter than mine)! Needless to say, that part was fun. The class will probably be similar to the Trigonometry class I had Junior year, but we'll see. I'm not really looking forward to this one, but hey, its only twice a week. We were let out an hour early (thank goodness) and I had to take care of some things in ADMISSIONS AND RECORDS before I could go.

Also, for those of you who were keeping track, I have a fourth class. It is an online class, which I think I have mentioned before (hmmm, I'm not sure right now). The first film we have to watch is called THE PURPLE ROSE OF CAIRO by woody allen. I can't find it - stupid Blockbuster doesn't carry it - so if you have it let me know. That would be awesome! I'm excited for this class too. What an excuse to watch movies! But enough about school. . .

I then journeyed into the parking lot and decided to spend 10 minutes searching for my car. Turns out, it's not that easy to find. I rode over to the high school just to see who was hanging out or playing ball and whatnot. I showed up and some of the guys who were on the Varsity team with me last year were playing pick-up games. So I ran home, grabbed my shorts and shoes, and played some games for a half hour - I'm so out of shape! I can still hold my own, though, which is a good feeling.

Not much to report on the rest of yesterday, except I went to BLOCKBUSTER and rented the first season of HBO's comedy CURB YOUR ENTHUSIASM. It's pretty funny. It's written by and stars the guy who created SEINFELD with Jerry himself. I like it. It's more adultish, but it's still enjoyable. I watched several episodes, and that was good enough for one day. I went to CY's house for a few hours (read his blog at insidecy.blogspot.com) and that was cool. I came home around 1100 and went to bed shortly thereafter. I fell asleep a little after 1230 (I have difficulty sleeping, even when I'm exhausted) and that was Tuesday.

Today I woke up at 930ish and stayed in bed til 1100 or so (MAD ABOUT YOU, baby!). I got out of bed, showered, got dressed, ate some Fruit Loops, and went back to AVC. No classes today, but I had to return a textbook, and purchase another. It was a quick trip and I was home again, safe and sound. Not much happened the rest of the afternoon (several visits to the world of LARRY DAVID - that's CURB YOUR ENTHUSIASM, mind you) and as of now I have watched 7 of 10 episodes. Funny stuff.

I did spend over an hour researching, planning, customizing, and buying a computer. Dude, I'm getting a DELL!!! It's gonna set me back a few pesos, but I think it'll be worth it. I spared no expense (that didn't work out for Hammond in JURASSIC PARK, though, huh?) and I'm excited for its arrival in a couple of weeks. O yeah, and I also did my MATH homework - that was odd. It was easy enough (a review of sorts) but I still was not happy with writing down anything on paper period. Grrrr says I!

The blog is at its end for the evening. I'd like to get some more relaxation in before another big day at the ol' College tomorrow. Maybe I'll watch more ENTHUSIASM. Yes, I think so.

I hope all is well for all of you, and I hope you return to my world soon.

- - - "I would be a bunch of grapes because I have many facets to my personality, as there are many grapes to a bunch. Without one, you just wouldn't have a bunch of grapes. They would just be grapes. Likewise, you can't have me without all my facets. Thank you." - - My initial answer to the stupid fruit question :D

Sleep ti-zite to-nizzle (I'm so white),

J U S T I N

No comments: