Tuesday, August 30, 2005

California: Only the Tan Survive

There was a girl at school today who was wearing a shirt with the above title printed across it. I found it ironic, because she was, to be honest, not all that tan. And as I began to dwell on this concept, I wondered how I am going to survive in the big C-A in all my pale wonderness. We'll just have to see if some vanity t-shirt maker from Beijing or Taipei or the Caribbean really knows about the survival rate of the inhabitants of California. I doubt that he does. I think I'll be fine. . .

I had school today (woohoo?) and although I didn't want to go, it certainly made the day go by faster. Here's a brief rundown of what happened in each class:

Philosophy - I was still half asleep at this point of the morning. I turned in my essay, took a quiz (26 out of 28 thank you very much) and listened to a lecture. Not too interesting today. Some girl in the front spilled her coffee at the beginning of the class trying to get out of a guy's way. She seems kinda buth, and he's a geeky-looking guy, so I was worried for him. Everything was resolved with paper towels, though.

History - Just some good ol' lecture. JAFFE always makes me laugh though. The class has an Honors Option, for those of us in the AVC Honors Program. The requirement for this class is to write another term paper in addition to the one due for the whole class in November. Not too bad, considering what other classes expect of you. "It shouldn't be that hard," he said optimistically.

Math - Holy crap, two hours of math is a long time! The first hour was easy, with simple equations being the main lesson. The second hour was a bitch, though, due to the evil world that is word problems. This is my kryptonite. Give me an algebraic equation and I'll give you "X" in not too long of a time, or even better, give me something to compute, I'll do it right now. Just like that. However, give me a story before the math problem and you lose me. Needless to say, I struggled during the second hour. Grrrr!

I came home and vegged (veged? how do you spell doing nothing? o well) for a couple hours. I got on the computer a bit later and read all the required notes for my film class, and then proceeded to watch "The Purple Rose of Cairo" (directed by Woody Allen) for the class. It was only 80 some minutes, so that was refreshing. It was a fine movie; nothing special, but it wasn't terrible either. I did my required work after watching it and headed back to my prior hypnotic state in front of the good ol' TV.

The family and I (now minus the brother - he's in Arizona with the g-parents) went to Olive Garden. It was easier without a 4-year-old, but also a lot quieter. Actually, change that. We had drunks at the table across from us, trailer trash in the other table next to us, and we could barely hear ourselves talk. We had fun making fun of them though. Good ol' family. Don't you feel better about your own family after seeing other, much crappier versions of famliy? I do.

I took the sister to Circuit City to buy a couple CD's and a TV season, but they didn't have it. I hate Circuit City. Just a thought. . . So we went to Best Buy, and snuck in just as they were closing up shop at 900. I grabbed my two CD's (for you nosey bodies: new Death Cab for Cutie and Jack's Mannequin - the latter is the solo effort from the lead singer of Something Corporate) and picked up House: Season One. I was gonna buy it, but then I found out we had a $20 gift card to this place at home. I'll go back and get it at half price. Yes, that's better.

I hope your day was good. Tomorrow is looking like errand-day, with a little bit of chill-time in there too. We'll see how it goes. 2 days til Friday! I can't wait! Can't you tell?

Currently listening to: Those 2 previously mentioned CD's - both AWESOME! Go buy Jack's Mannequin. Seriously, you won't be sorry.

See you tomorrow you knuckleheads,

HUSTEEN

1 comment:

Cy said...

It's time I got a new CD(s).