Sunday, August 28, 2005

Cold Chicken and Cold Hard Cash

So today was a good day, but not a great day. Those only come once a week nowadays. Those of you who know me know why. And that's not to say I don't like good days. They're just not great. But good is ok. Wait, no. Good is good. O forget it. . .

So this morning I woke up and got myself ready for church. Our guest speaker today was a guy named Bob Beltz. He is an ordained minister and most recently an employee of Walden Media, a company partially responsible for the upcoming film (and box-office smash hit) THE CHRONICLES OF NARNIA: THE LION, THE WITCH, AND THE WARDROBE. He spoke well, and I was interested, being the bona fide film buff that I am. He spoke on Christ and film, the role of the church in Hollywood throughout history, and the ways the church and its people can influence the evil world of Hollywood (cmon, you know it is). It was good stuff. Plus, he showed a longer trailer for the film than is out on the internet (Psst. . . It looks AWESOME!)

I had lunch with the fam (minus mi hermana - she is in N. Cali with my mom's sister) and then came home. It was just too hot today to do anything! At one point the Weather Bug on the computer (isn't that the most annoying thing - the buzzing of the Weather Bug?) said it was upwards of 107 outside. That's almost as hot as Hell, I'm sure of it. I was sitting and sweating. I wasn't doing butt clenches, or some other strenuous activity. I was sitting. And sweating. Gross.

I had a POKER game tonight though. I got there at 600 with my new chips, which we would break in tonight, and set up the stacks for everyone. There were a total of 5 players, and at $10 each, it was a 40/10 pot (40 for the winner; second gets their money back). I played alright early, but I was losing my stack quickly to the big stacks. I got a good river, went ALL-IN, and doubled up nicely, and held on to the chip lead until there were 3 left. It was a roller coaster of a night, but finally, I pulled it out, winning with POCKET ROCKETS (two Aces as my hold cards for you novices) against an A/10. It feels good to win again. That's two games straight at this game. The one guy (who's house we were at) said he wouldn't be surprised if I was on the World Poker Tour one day, if I applied myself and learned some tricks and Math. That was quite a compliment. Thanks Randy - I won't forget you when I make it big : D

I came home and chilled for the rest of the night. I ate some cold fried chicken, (always a treat) and then later some more Ben and Jerry's Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Ice Cream (Holy Crap is that good!) The news is all that's on anymore with Hurricane Katrina ready to utterly destroy New Orleans, so I watched some of that. I feel bad, but at the same time, New Orleans is a BAD town. Sodom and Gomorrah anybody? Plus, they have had a day's notice to get out of town! I heard there were still partiers on Bourbon Street - That is a retard, my friends. No offense meant by that, except if you're still in New Orleans and plan on drinking so much that you think you won't feel the Hurricane. You, sir, are a retard.

So now that I've offended many of you, I'm gonna head to bed.

So sleep well you knuckleheads - a new week is about to begin. Let's hope it's a great one. Or at least a good one. Oddly enough, I'll settle for OK : )

- - - "I'm ALL-IN!"

The New Kid Poker (sorry Daniel Negreanu, but until I can get a better POKER name, I'm using yours).

No comments: