Monday, January 02, 2006

The Weekend Grab-Bag: The Centennial (and by the way, it's 2006!) Version

Happy 2006 everyone! Can you believe it? Just like that, we've gone into a new year. Sure, 2005 was good, but I anticipate that o six will be even better. But that's just the optimist part of me speaking I suppose. The realist/cynic part of me knows that it certainly will be tougher than the past year and that it's only gonna provide more trials and such that I'm gonna have to trudge through. But that's cool. That means I'm getting older. And THAT is way cool. So folks, welcome to my weekend. And, as always my little bloggees (that means you're being blogged for - I just made it up!), it is in no way chronological . . .

- Well work has just been crazy lately. I worked on New Year's Eve (scheduled from 1200-1600) from 1200 to 1825 and clocked out at 1800. I didn't want to get a "Break Violation" so I just clocked out and worked over. O well. It was consistently busy all day and so we were on a 10 minute wait (or so) all day, even during the slow times between 1400 and 1600. Then at 1700, the rush hit. We were at a 45-50 minute wait by 1825 when I left. I'm so glad I wasn't there any later. Sunday I had to work, and did so from 1600 to 1930. I also worked tonight and did that from 1600 to 1930 as well. I'm raking in the hours and will continue to do so the next 2 weeks. One of the hostesses called in "sick" on New Year's Eve (she was far from it) and they told her, "See you January 16". Apparently, the rule was made that if anyone called in that day, they could not come back for a whole pay period. Wow. Hope it was a good party. Anyway, so I got the first chance to pick up her shifts, as they had already scheduled her. I got 2 more days, giving me 6 days! And next week I get the same schedule. That check'll be ginormous! Can't wait!

- So the storm that just came through was absolutely insane! The rain was freakin' going horizontal I kid you not!

- So here's my New Year's Eve: Well I got off of work at 1830 and headed to Heather's. I got there, picked her up and headed back to my house. I changed into more comfortable clothes and then we ate dinner with my family. My mom had made shrimp creole and it was really good. After dinner, Heather and I went to CINEMARK 22 and saw FUN WITH DICK AND JANE starring Jim Carrey. It was funny, but certainly not on the level of the summer R-rated comedies. Good ol' Jim does have a few moments that are high comedy, and overall it's a fun movie that doesn't require any thinking whatsoever. Grade: (C+) - - So then we headed to her house and picked up her mom and headed to JOHNNY CARINO'S, that evil place, for dessert. We ordered a spamoni (Italian ice cream - chocolate/cherry/pistachio - that looks like neapolitan. Comes with 2 Nilla Wafers :D) and ate up! Then we headed back to her house and watched good ol' New Year's celebrations from all around the globe until it was time for ours. We toasted the New Year with Sparkling Cider (I love that stuff!) and went to bed very soon after. Call us party poopers - we were tired!

- I'll give you a quick rundown of the ENTERTAINMENT picks for January 2006. There's only one must-see film, one will-see film, and one must-own DVD. Here ya go:

- - GLORY ROAD (01/13) Check out the film's database (http://www.comingsoon.net/films.php?id=5908). I love basketball films, and Heather actually wants to see this one, so I win! This one looks great and I can't wait to see it!

- - HOSTEL (01/06) Check out the film's database (http://www.comingsoon.net/films.php?id=11453). This film looks brutal, unforgiving, and intense. It also appears to be quite violent. From the people that brought us CABIN FEVER (the writer/director) and TEXAS CHAINSAW MASSACRE (producers, I think) plus the mind of Quentin Tarantino (he also produced) makes me excited to see how it turns out. Long live scary movies!

- - WEDDING CRASHERS: The "Uncorked" Edition (01/03) This comes out tomorrow baby! The funniest film of 2005 is finally out on DVD and I can't wait to pick it up! Do yourself a favor and rent this at least. You won't be disappointed, trust me!

Ok folks, have a good week. I'll post this week, and that you can believe. Sleep good!

Night,

JUSTIN

No comments: