Monday, January 23, 2006

Bambi Two Cents Worth

Do you like that Before and After I did right there? You see, I watch too much Wheel of Fortune. This is my problem. Although, I still believe that all they have to do is call me and I'll set new records for that show - ask anyone that knows me and they'll tell you that I have a sixth sense for answering the puzzles on that grand game show. Or at least they will now. . . Plus, when I was going to THE LB the other day, I saw a billboard for BAMBI II, going straight to DVD. This is why I hate Disney. They are ruining all of their movies by making crappy sequels to them and selling them on a straight-to-DVD status. It's ridiculous. Anywho, I just thought I'd combine that with what you're all gonna get tonight - my two cents. However much it really means, it's coming at ya; are you ready???

First, what I did today - not much.

Well I woke up at 0945 after going to bed around 0230. I couldn't sleep. I honestly was pining that badly last night. It was rough. These nights are somewhat frequent but I get through them nonetheless. It's just a sucky time right now. As discussed at tonight's dinner table, if I won the lottery (presently at $84 million) then I would set the wedding date tomorrow. Now, I wouldn't make it for tomorrow, but I certainly would start planning it tomorrow. You see, it's just a matter of stability. It won't be until I can fully support myself and my wonderful Heather will I even think about popping the question. We've already discussed that our plans are to in fact get married someday, but when is the ever-present question. So, with her 2 hours away and us not seeing each other but maybe twice a month (four tops) I'm just struggling. Call me a romantic, call me a pansy, or call me wrong for being this way at a young age - it doesn't matter to me. I miss Heather. And that's all I can truly say.

After I woke up, my dad and I watched FOUR BROTHERS (a great guy flick that surprised me - I was impressed through and through; GRADE: B) and then he had to go pick up Caleb from school. I showered and then ate some lunch while watching ESPN, my favorite lunch time partner. Most of the hubbub was still on last night's incredible performance by Mamba (only Bill Simmons fans would get that one) or as he is known everywhere: Kobe. Mr. Bryant poured in 81 points against the sorry Toronto Raptors, which is the second highest scoring game by an individual in the history of the league. Only Wilt Chamberlain's classic 100 point effort some 50 years ago tops it. Well everyone was talking about how this is more impressive because of the athleticism of the players today and because Kobe is smaller than the dominant Chamberlain. I disagree. Kobe has the 3-pointer (and he used it last night - he made 7) which was something Wilt couldn't use. Kobe also took 46 shots! That's an incredible amount. Yes, he made 28, which is outstanding percentage-wise, but still, if someone shoots the ball 46 times in 48 minutes, I think that's just a bit too much. I am impressed by his efforts and give him the applause that he deserves, but no more. For he is still a Laker. And I will always consider them lowly. Always.

After lunch, I spent time cleaning my room and stairs up. I finally put together my webcam and set it up on my computer. Heather and I got webcams for her birthday (did you follow that?) and so now we can see each other when we chat online. Isn't technology great?!?! We did just that for a little while and then Chelsea got there and Heather needed to go (she went for a visit today). I contemplated getting ahead in Astronomy but elected to do other stuff instead. I played NBA LIVE 2003 a bit and then it was soon dinner time (tacos).

After dinner, my dad and I went to Desert Christian High School for tonight's game between the Knights and Silver Valley. I haven't been there as much for the guys as I wanted cuz of my schedule but I am planning on going to Wednesday's practice. They pulled a win out tonight (55-53) to remain undefeated in league play. Good job guys - kinda. They didn't play all that well and it was difficult to watch at times. I wanted so bad to jump out on the floor and make a different pass or hit that 3. I miss basketball.

When we got home, Aimee asked me to help her with her Algebra. An hour later, I was mentally drained and couldn't do anything productive if I had wanted to. So, I played MARIO KART with my parents who were already dueling it out. It was fun and we just finished a half hour ago or so.

Before I head out tonight, I wanted to write a little bit of clarification on a recent review of mine of the film BROKEBACK MOUNTAIN. Upon hearing that there has been some uneasiness with my response to it (or even my attendance) I decided that I would just put out a more direct line to my opinion on the whole subject. Let me begin by saying this: Homosexuality is WRONG. It is evil and I certainly do not recommend it, and would never suggest the lifestyle to anyone. Now, I also think that it's real. If you don't think that it is prevalent in today's culture, then you're not looking outside of your own house at all. I have met several gay people at AVC and have seen even more. It's everywhere. Now, because it is everywhere, there must be a certain level of tolerance by those of us who view it as the wrong way to live. I cannot tell so-and-so that they CAN'T do what they're doing, because, straight up, they can. That is their choice, as is every single sin that every single one of us commits. If no sin is different (it's all sin, right?) then their homosexuality is no worse than stealing, gossip, or adultery. All of it causes us to fall short of the glory of God (Romans 3:23) and we're all guilty of it. Plus, if God loves the sinner (he's God so he loves all of us and wants us all to come to repentance) then why shouldn't we? What I'm saying is that for me to view a movie featuring two characters who give in to homosexual temptations (although they really just want to be together as partners or whatever to be happy because they live crappy lives apart from each other) does not drop me down a level or cause me to all of a sudden become a part of GLAD and go to rallies and such. I will be the first to tell you that it's wrong, that you shouldn't do it, and that it's so very obvious how it's supposed to go (I mean, cmon!) but I will also tell you that it is your choice to be that way. And that I can't take away from you. No one can. And that, my friends, is because we are not robots. We are free people with a free will to make choices that we can either regret or embrace. I do not regret seeing BROKEBACK MOUNTAIN. I would not mind seeing it again. It's a powerful film about friendship that is more real than any sappy chick-flick with cutey Kate Hudson picking one guy over her other guy. Or whatever. You get my point on that one. Altogether, I would also add that I relate to the guys' temptation of wanting to show someone you care for how much you care for them and not being allowed to/not supposed to/etc. In the day that the film takes place, homosexuals were looked down upon and sent to the outskirts if they weren't killed as an example. They couldn't be seen together. That's what causes them to ultimately part ways. I fully understand wanting to be with someone and show them exactly what they mean to me in as many ways possible. But I can't. It doesn't matter how bad I want to do so, I have already set personal boundaries that cannot be broken. Plus, in my situation, I respect my partner so much as not to cross her boundaries as well. All in all (and all is A LOT, eh?) I think you can see where I stand. I don't think that I'm any more desensitized than the next guy, either. When I viewed said film I watched it with an open mind and an open heart so that I could gain access into what the filmmakers were trying to get across. I hope everyone can understand where I'm coming from, because it's truly JUST A MOVIE and not something that eternity rests upon. And finally, the statement son of a conservative Christian was used 100% for the purpose of showing who was at the core of the boycott of the film. It has been the conservative Christians, the far right wing folks (of which I lean towards more often than not) that have been encouraging theatres to not show the film. I felt it necessary as a writer to use that description of myself to further the experience of me watching the movie. It's not a complaint nor is it used to put down a sect. I'm just explaining my background for those who may not know me well at all and just like to read long ramblings like tonight's.

And that's that.

It seems more like four cents what do you think?

Thanks folks - much love to all!

JUSTIN

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

One thing...Even if the three point line existed back then it wouldn't matter...the majority of Wilt's shot's were five feet from the hoop...Wilt would never shoot threes!

Kobe took forty plus shots in a game where he was in the ultimate zone and the rest of his team was lethargic...can I hear MVP!!!

Anonymous said...

He's still a Laker! Kudos to him, but he'll never be Steve Nash in my book! Mom