Sunday, January 15, 2006

The Weekend Grab-Bag: The Lung-Come-Up Version

Hello all - and my deepest apologies again for my tardiness. I didn't blog Thursday (I guess that's the only thing I did wrong. . ) but now I have to do so tonight, the night that I really don't feel like doing so. Well, here goes (and of course, folks, it's not completely chronological). . .

- School was okay on Thursday. I don't remember anything spectacular or anything terrible so it must have been just your regular day of college. Or, actually, my regular day of college. You may not be in college. But that's ok. You don't have to be. I've decided that I don't like school and that I do it cuz I have to do so. I think that can be a truth with a lot of things (do I hear a "work" from the choir?) but it's frustrating being on the homework trail yet again. Blah -

- I am still coughing and having fluids run out of my nose faster than Star Jones at an All-You-Can-Eat Buffet (obligatory Star Jones joke right there! - that's for you, Cy - remember the Kool-Aid man joke??). It's frustrating. I've been unwell since my wisdom teeth separation and that has now been a month or more. After that is when I got this evil cold and it has clung to me like Linus to that blue blanket (not-so-obligatory Peanuts joke). It's crazy. I just can't shake it.

- I worked Thursday night, Friday night, and tonight. On Saturday, I went to work at 1200 and there were already 3 hosts on, and that is two too many (only 2 are really needed for a Sat. afternoon). Well, the manager on saw this and decided to send 2 hosts home. I asked the one girl (she owes me a few) to stay for me cuz I felt so bad. She agreed and I got to go home. Score. I worked 20 1/2 hours this week and after a 29 1/2 week last week, that check will have just about 56 hours (including 01/01) which is going to be just spectacular. There are 2 new hosts now. I take that back, there are now 3 new hosts. There are 2 girls that I have worked with (one has already assumed the leader position despite not having any work to support her - us veteran hosts have not taken this lightly; the other is a sloth-like moving girl who is very nice) and a guy that I have not worked with. Apparently he is cool and not too bad at hosting. We'll see.

- I spent a bit of time with George on Friday night after work. We talked about basketball for most of the time despite having planned to work on our screenplay. It's cool to talk to him about the NBA as I don't have many outlets for that. I also spent a great deal of time (well as much as I could) with my wonderful Heather. We had a date night on Saturday. We ate at BLACK ANGUS and then went and saw (wait for it. . .) BROKEBACK MOUNTAIN. Yes folks, I Justin Gott, the son of a Conservative Christian payed money to go see the "gay cowboy movie". And you wanna know what? I liked it! I thought it was a spectacular movie with powerful performances by Heath Ledger and Jake Gyllenhaal (as well as the female leads) and a really great love story. It was interesting to watch and compare it to your usual chick-flick romance. The two men connected (you immature people can enjoy your gay jokes with that comment) and they truly did care for each other. Needless to say, there is a scene or two with the two men and there are a few saliva-swapping moments, but I did not find it all that "gross". I was not uncomfortable. Heather wasn't uncomfortable. This was great. Here's my opinion on all of this: I am not gay. I will never be gay. I think that homosexuality is not a trait that someone is born with. I think that every person (man and woman) has to make a decision for him/herself about their orientation. I have already thought about this and overwhelmingly decided that I am straighter than an arrow. However, I do not judge those who are, in a phrase, "Queer as a four-dollar bill". If that's for you, then have it. As Jacque (Chelsea's friend) and I discussed, gay marriage does not threaten the "sanctity of marriage" and you wanna know why? That's cuz half of straight marriages end in divorce and that, my friends, is what has destroyed marriage. Not the gay people. Now, since CRASH, I have become more tolerant or everyone (races, orientations, etc) and I guess watching this film is another step for me. If you can get over the fact that, yes, that is two men kissing, then you might be able to watch a great film that is out right now. A beautiful, sad, and heartwarming story that wouldn't hurt anyone to see. Grade: (A)

- You know what, that's all I can produce right now. I want to go to bed, so I will.

- - - "God, I wish I knew how to quit you!"
- - - Jack Twist (Jake Gyllenhaal) in BROKEBACK MOUNTAIN - A quote that goes right up there with "You complete me" from JERRY MAGUIRE if you ask me.

Night folkages,

Husteen

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

hey I have labels now I have arrived

Anonymous said...

I haven't read your blog for a few weeks...why do you have to update so regularly!? I was overwhelmed! so I just read this one and will get to the others later. I would leave scathing comments about the brokback mt. thing, but as I am highly ignorant and rather one sided on the subject, I will refrain, you pugnacious twit...heh. Anyways, I have a week or two left, and I'll call you sometime to see if you're available to grab lunch--I still need to see Collateral.