Saturday, August 12, 2006

Two Halves Make A Whole

Ok, so if you wanna read the first half of this here post (well, kinda) then head here first before you read on. Just a precaution. You might get lost in a minute if you don't read that first. Secondly, well, I guess I have no second thought. So. . . On with the post!!!

I left off with George and I seeing TALLADEGA NIGHTS: THE BALLAD OF RICKY BOBBY. Well, after we got out of the movie we started looking around at the other screens. You see, this theater that we went to has each movie listed at the door into the screen and also has the time that the next show begins. Well we got out of RICKY BOBBY around 1630 so we started looking for convenient films that we could sneak into. There were no employees to be found, so we figured we'd take the chance. We had our choice between a few films (unfortunately, MIAMI VICE, the film I wanted to see, began about fifteen minutes before we got out of our first film) but we ended up settling on M. Night Shyamalan's new film LADY IN THE WATER. This film, let me tell you straight up, is very, very weird. Some (like a reader responding in this week's Entertainment Weekly) saw it as a much deeper film (or something like that) but I just found it to be exactly what the teaser trailer said it was: "A Bedtime Story. . ." Was it entertaining? Kinda. And is it recommendable? Sorta. If you like Shyamalan's films (or at least some of them, like me) then it certainly won't hurt you. Paul Giamatti and Bryce Dallas Howard both give convincing performances, even when saying words like "narf" and "tartutic" and "scrunt" however. Well, I guess I can say go see this movie if you have an open mind to experience a film that is different from pretty much everything else out there (well, except for all his other films). So, yeah. (Grade: C+)

After seeing LADY IN THE WATER, we headed back to his aunt's house (that's where he lives with his aunt and high school age cousin) to change into basketball clothes. We then headed to the park where we played basketball for almost two hours. That was fun. From there, we headed back and his aunt got home around the same time. We proceeded to make dinner (really good steak, mashed potatoes, and buttered carrots) and eat that up pretty fast. From there, it was back to the jacuzzi for the continuation of our stories and conversations. His cousin joined us for a lot of the conversation (she's pretty cool for a high schooler ha ha) and we finished around 0100 or so (I can't really remember). We had to get up kinda early on Tuesday morning though because George had to be at work kinda early. We said goodbye and see ya later (either me going back down there or him coming home for a brief amount of time) and then I hung out at the house for just long enough to get ready and whatnot and then I headed out.

I went to BEST BUY first to take advantage of a couple of deals they were having (Buy 1 Get 1 Free on Special Edition DVD'S - I bought SE7EN and MEMENTO - and 3 for $25 - I bought GOOD WILL HUNTING, ROUNDERS, and THE ROCK). From there, I headed south to meet up with the 76 freeway to take me west to Oceanside where Heather's dad works. He lives in San Clemente but his shop (he owns an Auto Body Shop called CARCOA) is in Oceanside. I had called him the day before asking if it was cool if I stopped by for lunch (figuring the attempt would count for something) and he had agreed. So I met him and then him, his wife Claudia, and I went to this French restaurant called Le Passage (I had been there before with them and Heather) for lunch. Lunch was really good and I think that our conversation was pretty good as well. I still get kinda stressed out (well not really stressed out, but nervous) when I am around her dad, so I kinda get a little jovial over a "successful" trip.

So I left there and began the long trek home (the trip took me about 2.5 hours). I got home and didn't feel very good actually. I laid in my bed watching the World Series of Poker on ESPN and then Cy called asking me to come rescue him and his sister Amber from COSTCO. I obliged and met them there and we headed to the Mall. We ate dinner at RED ROBIN (which was ok) and then walked around the Mall for quite awhile. Cy bought some VANS and I bought a couple more bargain-priced movies at GameStop (I bought the JURASSIC PARK 3-pack and THE GAME for a grand total of $17!). We had a good time people-watching and stuff (Amber's pretty funny when it comes to people) and then we left the Mall. We decided to go see a late-night movie (it began at 2140) because on Tuesday night's, the price for a ticket is the same as the matinee price. We went and saw what turned out to be one of the scariest films I have ever seen. THE DESCENT, a British horror film just recently released stateside, is scary, gory, and actually a good movie. Not a whole lot of horror movies are actual good films (read: none) so this one being so intense, scary, and actually a quality film makes it the surprise of the Summer. (Grade: A-) - - O and don't tell anyone, but I slept with my television on that night cuz I was still scared :D

I'm kinda blanking on Wednesday but that night I went over to Cy's and we watched a critically-acclaimed film from this year called BRICK. This was, by far, one of the most quirky films I have ever seen. The dialogue was so over-the-top (no one talks like this!) and the film was quite difficult to follow because of it. I didn't really like the movie. I was quite anticipating the movie because it was supposed to be so good and all and then with all the film noir bits and pieces it was supposed to be great. Well I was unimpressed. It was actually funny in the Unintentional kind of way. Bummer. (Grade: C)

I had to work on Thursday night, and then, obviously, tonight. I have to work tomorrow night also but then I'm off again until next Thursday. Yeah.

Well, I do have more to say (I think there's other things I was gonna say here tonight) but it is indeed 0300 in the morning. That's late (Or early, depending on how you look at it :D ).

- - - "Working hard and being hard at work is not the same thing."
- - - No joke: this quote was the quote to work by tonight at JOHNNY CARINO'S. It was posted by the main computer. Upon reading it a second time, I realized it was kind of a double entendre. Read it again. And think kinda dirty. . . Sorry :D

Goodnight everyone out there (and good morning to the East Coast!),

Late-Night Justin

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Maybe if you actually watched film noir, you would understand Brick's dialogue and its function in the movie. There is a brillant moment in the film when the main character realizes that he has to solve the murder of his old girlfriend, and he switches into the film noir mode. BRICK was the best movie I have seen so far this year. ~Emily