Sunday, December 04, 2005

The Weekend Grab-Bag: The Gigantor Version

Welcome to the sixth edition of the Weekend Grab-Bag. You are always welcome around my neck of the woods. And please take off your shoes while you're here, cuz we're Asian and that's what we do (It never gets old Cy!). And of course, this is in no way chronological. . .

- O boy, good ol' Johnny Carino's. I spent 14 hours there in 2 days this weekend. On Saturday, I went in at noon for my very first afternoon (AM) shift. My schedule said I was to be off at 1600 and this made me quite excited. Well, one of the hosts scheduled at 1600 failed to come in (she just recently gave her two weeks notice - not the lame sandra bullock/hugh grant movie - so she really couldn't care less at this point) so I was supposed to then stay til 1800. A little bummed, I continue to work hard cuz I knew I would still have the remainder of the night. Well the rush of all rushes occurred a little after 1700 and hit us hard. We went from a miniscule wait to almost an hour wait just like that (snaps fingers for dramatic effect). Well, our General Manager came up and said he wanted me to stay around (a good sign, but I wanted my Saturday night!) so I had to take a break. I ended up finally getting out of there at 2015, a 7 3/4 hour work day. Dangit. Then, today I ended up working from 1600-2200. There was only 2 hosts on tonight and me and Stacy certainly held it down tonight, despite the onslaught of the busiest Sunday night I've ever seen. Whew, I'm tired just reliving it!

- I love JIMMY EAT WORLD! (read on to see why! - don't you just love cliffhangers??)

- On Friday, I had a doctor's appointment to check out my situation that's been hanging around since Thanksgivingish. Remember? Okay, good. So basically I had the most embarassing moment of my life as I described my deal to the female doctor that has helped me out with everything from strep throat to open head wound since I've been in my teens. Awkward!!! It's just the topic is all. Well to make a somewhat lengthy story shorter, I got to take a home a brown paper bag filled with 4 small test containers for some samples. Yipee! Well this is just ludicrous if you ask me. I guess there is really no easier way to do this, but can't we discover one right now please. I will pay someone a whopping $5 to create an alternative way to find out what is wrong with me! Anywho, that's what happened me there. Gotta take in the cup thingys tomorrow (Monday) for analysis. Meh. We'll see.

- Had school on Thursday. Here is my day: BLAH!!! Well all my classes are preparing for next week's finals, so it's kinda slow on the school front. The only exciting thing that happened was getting my History paper back. I got a 94 on it, only receiving -5 for not having justified margins (I didn't know you could do this - bummer) and -1 for not having a separate Bibliography page (I saved paper, give me a break). That's cool with me though. I don't have to take that Final! Yes!!!

- I went 13-2 in the football games today. I went for the upset by St. Louis over Washington and that didn't happen and I'm disappointed. If Seattle wins tomorrow night, I might win again, which would pretty much be INCREDIBLE! Either way I'm gaining on the front of the pack and nearing the grand TOP 3. Stand by for celebration . .

- So Thursday night. You might be asking why this is the quote Gigantor Version end quote of the Weekend Grab-Bag and I'll tell you: I didn't post on Thursday night! And this is why: Left school and ran some errands around town (including the post office, credit union, and mom's work for a quick hello). Then I met Justin at the new FATBURGER in Palmdale for lunch. Ok, can someone explain to me why this certain establishment has a large black audience? We felt so white in this place! I never knew that this place was heralded like that by the African-American community. This was something learned. Food was good (as it usually is there) and then we headed to his house to drop off my car. (Tangent: Justin's house is ginormous! His dad just finished getting it built. It's off Barrel Springs Road and the view is of the Palmdale Lake. Dang is right. We had a get together last week with him and Emily (his girlfriend) and our friend Mallory and her new flame Mike when they were finished moving in. Wow. Niceness!) So, we headed off in his automobile to the ol' City of Angels. We got to Emily's apartment around 1700 or so. Now, the reason we were there? I see. Okay, nosey people, well we were going to the pep rally at USC for the upcoming weekend football game betweent USC and UCLA (USC easily won the game 66-13 fyi). This is a big deal. This is a HUGE deal. Well, the real reason that we were going is that it was a free event and that none other than my second favorite band (WEEZER would be numero uno) JIMMY EAT WORLD would be playing a concert at the end! That's right! This was my second time seeing them live. Justin and Cy took me to a concert of theirs (Taking Back Sunday opened) for my birthday in Long Beach. Awesome memories! So basically, there were enough drunk 20-year-olds moving around this area to make your head spin. Cuz you know their's were! (Ba-dum-chuh) JIMMY was awesome (although they were turned WAY down) and the pep rally was kind of a fun experience. Hey, I was less than 100 feet from THE Matt Leinart. O yes. AND!!! I talked, albeit for just a second, to the bass player of JIMMY. I saw him exiting the stage and moving quickly. He walked right by me and Justin and Emily and I said "Hey, you rocked man!" I know. Real eloquent. But he said "Thanks" and kept moving. It was cool. Emily gave me a half-tour of USC and then me and Justin headed home. We got home around 2330 and I was exhausted, thus no blog. Sue me. I had fun though, thanks for asking. Thanks again Em!

- Friday night was real kick back. Heather came home again this weekend for the Women's Christmas Tea they have at my church every year (don't ask - I don't feel like tellin) so I got to see some of my baby again! So her, my sister, and I went to JOHNNY CARINO'S (I may have mentioned this place before) for dinner. Dinner was good and it was kinda fun to eat in the place I work. It was so stress-less! I had the Baked Cheese Tortellini. Good stuff. Get it. After dinner (my treat - hey Cy, I can treat too!) we went to Desert Christian School - more specifically the world famous MUB - for Caleb's Preschool Christmas Program. It was cute, of course, and garnered many laughs. Good times. Afterwards, me and Heather caught up on some television (good ol' HOUSE) and then I took her home. Sad times. I didn't see very much of her this weekend. Dangit. This is always a regret I have towards work. When I am there so much, it leaves less time for us. Although, without work, I could not support us. "You take the good. You take the bad. You take them both and then you have: The Facts of Life!" Yay for random classic television theme songs!

- O yeah, so on Saturday I received the film ELEPHANT from NETFLIX for my final for Film class. I opened it up to check like I always do and what do I find but PRINCESS DIARIES 2: ROYAL ENGAGEMENT in the sleeve marked ELEPHANT. This could not be further from what I was expecting. O well. I had to send it back and go get the real deal at BLOCKBUSTER. Chaos avoided.

- Sorry about missing this month's movie and DVD recommendations. I'll give em to ya tomorrow howsabout?

I am quite tired now as it nears 0100 on Monday. Enjoy your week all - I'll see ya round the bend!

LAST WEEK OF SCHOOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

- - - Currently listening to:
JIMMY EAT WORLD (duh)
FINCH
COLDPLAY

Night again,

JUSTIN

-

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

NICE!!!Looks like you had fun. Jimmy Eat World is so awesome. Got some ideas for the movie...we need to meet this week.

George

Cy said...

Yeah I heard about you going to that concert. That rocks hardcore man.

Sigh... I miss you guys incredibly right now.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the shout out, late is always better than never... ;-)

Anonymous said...

^
:
:

(From Mal)