Sunday, February 12, 2006

The Weekend Grab-Bag: The "Honkytonk Badonkadonk" Version

Yes folks, this is a new blog. Can you believe it? It's interesting how I chose right before midnight on a Sunday night/Monday morning to catch everyone up on the last three days or whatever. I guess I do it when I can. . .

Now, about the title. Well, first off, I think it's funny. Second, I'm listening to country music more and more nowadays and that is quite a popular song at the present time. It's a Trace Adkins song and is quite catchy actually. The lyrics aren't all that groundbreaking ("Got it goin' on/Like Donkey Kong/And whoo-wee/Shut my mouth/Slap your grandma") but dangit if I don't blast it when KTPI plays it every hour! Thus, ladies and gentlemen, welcome to the most recent installment of THE WEEKEND GRAB-BAG. And, as always, it's very unlikely that any of this will be chronological (it's hard enough remembering what happened!) so just hang on with me. . .

- Well the whole JOHNNY CARINO'S situation has shook from the ground up, very much like the earthquakes that so rock our Southern California communities (Although not recently, thank goodness, but don't you feel like we're way overdue? I think about these things. .). I headed into work on Friday at 1600 as I was scheduled and clocked in, but it clocked me in as a Table Tender again, meaning that I would be making less for hosting again (I had done that on Wednesday night too). So I asked around (it was Pay Day, so it was a little chaotic) and I finally decided to just check the schedule and see what had gone on. WELL, the schedule for this week (actually, last week - it was this past week) had been changed midweek! Instead of being scheduled to host on Friday night, I was scheduled to Table Tend (from now on, for the sake of my fingers, Table Tending will be referred to as TT - you can add the appropriate suffix my friends)! That meant a long night, but I was up for it. Well I looked at next week's schedule and I was completely off the Host schedule! I couldn't figure it out! Then I looked at the TT schedule. There was my name followed by 4 days (Tuesday, Friday, Saturday, Sunday) scheduled as a TT. I have finally done it. I pushed my nose into places and said all the right things and worked just hard enough to finally get Charlie to give the OK to make me a TT. This is great! Although they say I will periodically Host (for example, I can still cover Host shifts - like tomorrow morning - and I am scheduled on President's Day) but I am now a TT. I am smiling in my chair right now. Well, I TT both Friday night and Saturday night. I also hosted Saturday morning. Saturday was spent almost entirely at JC. I spend a lot of time there, but I'm starting to regain some stability in my checking account (finally!) and for that, excitement fills me up.

- Now for the same reasons that I'm excited, I'm frustrated. I know that I'm gonna be busy (very busy) and I fear that I'm gonna get behind in school. The class suffering the most is my online class because it's very easy to go a week and completly forget about everything that's due. It's tough, but I gotta keep up my grades. Basically, I'm just not getting A's right now (although, in my defense, most of my classes have had very limited grade opportunities). I'm not failing or anything - it's just not usual Justin schoolwork. Three more months!!!

- I stayed up late on Friday night and Saturday night with my wonderful Heather who was home this weekend from THE LB. Friday night we stayed up til almost 0300 watching TIVO'd episodes of AMERICAN IDOL, getting her all caught up. Last night we stayed up playing MARIO KART: DOUBLE DASH at her house with Chelsea. All in all, I just plain enjoy spending time with my beautiful girlfriend (Yes, I have a girlfriend! It feels great to say that!). Today was our Valentine's Day. It was the only opportunity we had to celebrate the holiday that is so commercially motivated, it's not even funny. We went to Valencia for lunch and shopping - that's it. With us, we don't have to do some gigantic date thing to celebrate V-Day. We ate lunch at T.G.I. FRIDAY'S and then went looking around Town Center and the Mall. I had already told her that I would get her whatever she wanted at her favorite store (Charlotte Russe) and she finally agreed when she found a cute dress that she really liked. Throw in some gold high heels and some earrings and it was Happy Valentine's to my Heather. I figured I could do that with the tips I am now earning. Thanks CARINO'S! We went to BEN AND JERRY'S for our favorite Cherry Garcia and ate it by that fountain in front of the movie theatre. After that, it was time (very very unfortunately) for her to head back to THE LB. When I kissed her goodbye, I couldn't help but wish for the day when I don't have to say goodbye every weekend (at the most - sometimes it's a bigger gap between visits). When I got home, I was apathetic and unmotivated to do anything. That's what happens when you're gone Heather. . . Sure, I did a few things, but is was only to distract my mind from dwelling on my selfish loneliness. I won't apologize for missing Heather, so don't even tell me not to do it! It's all I can do at this time.

- Is anyone else happy with our warm weather? I'm quite ecstatic by the lack of the need for a jacket. This is the time of the year that is my favorite. Sandals are back!

- O yeah, Heather got a job! She walked into PETCO down in THE LB and they practically hired her on the spot! I said, "Good goin' Cy" (those who know Cy know what I'm talking about - you know I'm just jealous bud ha ha) but I was honestly very happy for her. She's going to Australia this summer and still has a bit more to pay for (it's half-school stuff, half-recreational fun; she's going with Chelsea, so that's cool) so the job will be really good. The only bummer is that she's gonna work Thursday-Sunday. You can read between the lines on that one and find out why I am bummed out. I'm happy for her (stoked, elated, jovial) but still bummed out. Hey, I can do both!

- I have resisted the temptation to see FINAL DESTINATION 3 through one weekend. Cy, I will do my best to hang on til you get home. Maybe you'll have to come back early!

- The Desert Christian boys basketball team lost their last regular season game in Boron (by 13 points even), finishing just one win shy of a perfect 10-0 league record. I was at practice with them on Thursday, and I predicted that they'd lose. Maybe it'll be a wake-up call for playoffs. Congrats on a great season, guys! Undefeated just wasn't meant to be.

- O and one more thing: WEEZER is the greatest band of ALL-TIME! Just thought I'd mention that real quick and subtle like. . .

Night for now my internet friends. Gotta work in 10 hours (it's now 0100) so I need to hit the hay. Hope everyone is doing well and maintaining their busy lives as I am trying to do. Remember to prioritize and don't forget to tell those you love how you feel. It's just that important! See you tomorrow night!

- - - "But I'm shaking at your touch/I like you way too much/My baby, I'm afraid I'm falling for you/And I'd do about anything to get the hell out alive/Or maybe I would rather settle down with you"
- - - "Falling For You" by WEEZER (Track 09 on PINKERTON)

Feeling a GRAB-BAG of emotions,

The Rambler

No comments: