Wednesday, February 15, 2006

Valentine's Day + Restaurant = AHHHHH!!!

I swear it was like anarchy. I have no other words that can describe the absolute chaos, confusion, and did I mention chaos that was present at good ol' JOHNNY CARINO'S on Tuesday night. My life actually passed before me eyes. I kid you not. But I didn't begin my day at work (although it sure felt like I did). Here's my Tuesday and Wednesday folks (and thanks for checking in on The Rambler!):

I woke up late yesterday (0900) but still made it to class in time to snag a seat. History went fine (notes as usual) and I got my test back (shockingly, a 91 - I thought I did worse) so that was nice. I then went to Philosophy and turned in the paper that I was up til 0130 doing (see my last blog. .). Just as class ended, my phone began vibrating so I answered. My manager Tim was calling me in early to work. You see, they only had one busser in the morning and then the other 5, including me, scheduled for night. Well the lunch rush proved to be busier than usual (no kidding) so they were trying to get someone in there. Well I went to Communications and saw that my friend Joyce was in class (this is rare - ha ha). She's also in my Astronomy class. I gave her my homework for Astronomy asking her to turn it in for me. We had a group project work day in Comm so I was thinking I could get out of class easily. Thus, I left school and headed home to eat and get ready. I was at work by 1330 and began the LONGEST NIGHT EVER!!!!

It was funny (not at the time mind you) that the first table I bussed, the plastic cups fell off the tray, spilling water over the booth and the floor. It only took me another minute to clean it up, but I should have seen that as a sign for things to come. I bussed for a little over 2 hours and then went on break at 1600 when another TT came on. I ate and chatted with our MIT (Manager In Training) Veronica who is super cool. This was the best 30 minutes of my work day. After that, I went to go TT some more, ready for the busy night. All of us TT were on by 1700 and it appeared as it was going to be a cake night. WELL, all that changed when one host didn't show up. There were only 3 hosts up there plus our manager Jennifer and that was not nearly enough as we had a line out the door just to put names on the list! The girls were just not productive enough to handle it on their own unfortunately. Well Tim asked me to go up to the Host stand and help, as I wasn't necessaily needed as a TT. I was bummed, shared that disappointment, and then trudged to the front. Around 1800, I ended up taking names and I didn't move from that spot until 2230. We were on a 2 hour wait! Throughout the night, I went through 19 pages of names for out wait! I could go in to greater detail, but it's really not important. It's interesting, but it's not important to go into again (can't you tell I'm trying to avoid thinking about it?). Last night was long, difficult, and one that I hope I will be able to forget. Can't wait for Mother's Day. . .

I woke up this morning around 1000, and pretty much putzed around the house all day. I did do some laundry for the family and I did clean up my stairs and began the chore of cleaning my room. I also played some Nintendo with Caleb and browsed my many movie sites for new information. It all culminated in my buddy Justin coming over to hang out. He was here around 1700 and we were able to hang out til 2230. We watched two movies (THE ARISTOCRATS, a crude, pervasively profane documentary about a joke that's been around for centuries. It features anecdotes from almost 100 comedians and it certainly had it's funny moments. It's not for everyone though. Very crude. Grade: B- . . . HUSTLE AND FLOW, a gritty, hard-hitting drama about a pimp who hits a mid-life crisis and attempts to break onto the rap scene. Terrence Howard, who also appears amazingly in CRASH, gives an incredibly powerful performance, and although the music won't appeal to everyone, I found it to be quite amazing-sounding. Great film with great performances. Grade: A) and just got a chance to hang out, which was cool. Wednesdays seem to work out well for both of us, so it has kinda turned into our movie days. Fun stuff.

It's pretty late now, so I'm gonna head to bed. Another school week is ending tomorrow (Yes Yes Yes!!!) so that's exciting. I'll either be posting tomorrow, or waiting til this weekend. We'll see. All five of you reading certainly won't mind waiting, right???

Hope everyone had a great Valentine's Day. I didn't, but then again, it's JUST A DAY. It's no different than today or tomorrow. That's what people don't understand! Wow, it just blows me away! Ok, I'm done on my soap box. .

Sleep well world - - See ya on the flipside

- - -

JUSTIN

No comments: