Friday, February 17, 2006

Curious Capote and An Early Evening

Isn't alliteration fun?

Happy Friday (Saturday is in 10 minutes) little kiddies! I hope that the first day of a 4-day-weekend (for some) was a great one for everybody. I've had a rather eventful 2 days, and I know that you're just dying to hear about it in the crazy, rambling way that I tell it. Well, I wouldn't want to disappoint you. . .

I had school yesterday. History went by as usual. Philosophy was kinda interesting. This one kid was hardcore arguing (albeit respectfully) with Dr. Zhu about what sentence was the conclusion and all that kind of jazz. It was funny to listen to, because he was so adament that his answer was correct. Too bad the teacher disagreed. Communications was not interesting at all. It was actually kinda funny because we were talking about the process of listening and even discussed the ineffective ways of listening. I'm not completely sure what she said though (I was hearing, not listening ha ha). Astronomy was easy and brief, as it was a review day for our test on Tuesday. I was out of there a little after 1500 and on my way home.

I got home and didn't do all that much (a little NBA LIVE action) until 1645. Then I took Caleb to DCHS and waited for my mom and Aimee to get out of their little meeting they had. You see, I was helping my dad out. My mom and he had planned to go out to dinner for a late Valentine's dinner last night. Well, little did she know that he had planned to make her dinner and have a nice little night together. I was willing to help cuz I thought it was a great idea and I found it to be quite romantic. Hints of me. . . Anyway, I got Aimee and the 3 Gott kids headed to CINEMARK 22 to see CURIOUS GEORGE. This was the only film that Caleb could see. It was a cute family movie (geared towards the little ones) that had some funny moments thanks mostly to David Cross. The monkey was cute (Heather, you'll love him!) and the story was innocent and kick-back. Nothing special, but not a complete waste of time. The role of Jack Johnson as the "background music" upgrades this film a single letter grade, thus - Grade: B- . . . After the movie (which Caleb loved) we went to IN-N-OUT for dinner. I wasn't sure what to do then because it was only 1915 and I told my dad I'd come back between 2000 and 2030. I needed another hour. Well, by the suggestion of my wonderful Heather, we attempted CHUCK-E-CHEESE'S. We spent around 45 minutes playing arcade games and the time flew by. Once we were done there, I took them through the AVC parking lot and showed Caleb my "new school". After that it was home again home again. My parents had a great dinner (salmon, which apparently was quite good) and were playing MARIO KART when we returned. Fun stuff.

After all of the hubbub of telling them of our evening, I wandered upstairs to play some more NBA LIVE. It was then that I decided to see the 2135 showing of CAPOTE right back at CINEMARK 22. This is the last of the Academy Award nominees for Best Picture for me to see. This was also the last showing of it in Lancaster, for as of today, it is no longer at a local theatre. So, I got my lazy butt up and went and saw the critically-acclaimed film. For me, it was a pretty good film, but not one that rocked my world. What did rock my world was Philip Seymour Hoffman's amazing performance. He was just plain incredible at playing the lispy, dark, and brilliant Truman Capote. The night before the OSCARS air in March, I will give my predictions and hopeful picks, and you can expect Hoffman to be named somewhere in there! About the film though, it kept me interested for the full 2 hours and really kept the tension well. But it's all about the Hoffman performance. Grade: B+

I got home around 2330 and went to bad soon thereafter. I woke up this morning around 1000 and puttered around til 1230 or so. I did some homework for my online class and played a little more NBA LIVE (I beat the Lakers - I'm the SUNS of course - 119-112 in overtime!) before I had to get ready for work. I left around 1525 and made a stop at the Mall. I found BORDERS and went in and bought IN COLD BLOOD, the "non-fiction novel" that is the subject of the aforementioned CAPOTE film. I thought that I would read it because it sounded really good based on the film. I look forward to beginning a book that I can read for fun!


It was then time for work. I was there at 1600 and TTed until 2100, when I was prematurely cut. I was completely fine with it, though, as I didn't feel like working tonight. We were not busy at all for a Friday night. I may have made $40. But hey, that's $40 that I didn't have before tonight. Some fellow graduates of DCHS (Class of 2005 as well) came in tonight so that was kinda cool. My good buddy Tom was among them, and it was really nice to see him (You still need a haircut pal). We might grab lunch tomorrow. That'll be fun.

Well as much as I'd like to share some more anecdotes and such, it's after 0100 and my wonderful Heather is on the phone. I miss her so much and I really wanna chat with her as I fall asleep. Hope everyone's Saturday and Sunday is great and I'll see in the next edition of THE WEEKEND GRAB-BAG.

Goodnight - -

- - - "Ever since I was a child, folks have thought they had me pegged, because of the way I am, the way I talk. And they're always wrong." - - - Truman Capote

The Rambler

No comments: