Saturday, January 05, 2008

The Best Movies of 2007 - Part One

Simply put, I love movies. If you visit this blog with any frequency, you know this to be true already. Of all of the films (and there were many) that were released this calendar year, I saw 31 of them. And the thing with this year's group of flicks is that a majority of them were really top notch. And there's even more (eleven, actually) that I want to see (the ones I really want to see are INTO THE WILD, CHARLIE WILSON'S WAR, and GONE BABY GONE).

But of the 31 that I did see, I created a top 15 list (with a tie for that 15th spot - just because) of the films that rocked my world in one way or another and I'll tell you why you should take the time to see them yourself. I've included the letter grade that I gave each film and you can see that there was not much that was wrong with movies this year (except of course for the awful sequels National Treasure 2 and Pirates of the Caribbean 3, both of which are on my Worst Films of 2007 list). . . Enjoy! (Due to time reasonings, this will be a three-part post with numbers 10-6 coming tomorrow and 5-1 coming on Monday!)

15. (Tie) 300 - (B+)

The best film this year about Ancient Greece featuring ripped Spartans in red leather briefs. . . O wait. . . Well it's undeniable the effect that 300 had on filmgoers this year. The visuals are stunning and the action is non-stop. For flat out fun, this has to be your go-to. For my full review, which I wrote back after I saw it, head here.

15. (Tie) GRINDHOUSE - (B+)

If you have three hours to kill and you enjoy films that have an overabundance of blood, zombies (in the case of part one, PLANET TERROR), and Kurt Russell (in the case of part two, DEATH PROOF), then make sure you pick up the Quentin Tarantino/Robert Rodriguez celebration of, well, those previously mentioned features of the movies. And for the record, PT is better. Sorry Quentin.

14. THE BOURNE ULTIMATUM - (B+)

A perfect end to a fantastic trilogy. Arguably the best of the three films featuring Matt Damon as the lead character Jason Bourne, TBU keeps you on the edge of your seat the entire time thanks to fantastic acting by Damon (of course), David Strathairn, and Joan Allen and a fast-paced script that takes you all over the globe. Put Bourne on the level right below James Bond - if we get several more of these Matt Damon flicks, however, Bond there might have some competition.

13. SUPERBAD - (A-)

Filled with brutally awkward, excessively dirty, and shockingly hilarious humor SUPERBAD was one of the biggest surprises of the year. Written by KNOCKED UP's Seth Rogen and his pal Evan Goldberg, the film masterfully portrays the last week of a group of partying high schoolers' time in grade twelve. The film concludes surprisingly sweet and leaves you both laughing and thinking about the time you spent with your friends. Quality humor all around.

12. BLACK SNAKE MOAN - (A-)

Criminally unappreciated. Samuel L. Jackson gives a haunting performance as a righteous man trying to find both his soul and a cure for a scandalous woman (Christina Ricci, in a daring role). Sure, it's probably better known for the fact that he chains her up to a water heater in her underwear, but the powerful blues music and the heartbreaking final minutes leave an undeniable memory for the viewer. This is HUSTLE AND FLOW director Craig Brewer's second film and he is now two-for-two. I look forward with great expectations to his next one!

11. NO COUNTRY FOR OLD MEN - (A-)

When I got home from seeing it, I gave it no grade. The next day, I decided I would give it a B-. One week later, since I still could not get the haunting power of Javier Bardem's performance, the Coen brothers' direction, or the frustrating ending out of my head, I moved it up to a solid B. Now, after having read the book by Cormac McCarthy (from which the movie is adapted from), and contemplating the ending and all that surrounds it, it has become more of a masterpiece in my mind. I truly believe that after another viewing, this one is gonna fly up the charts (much to Heather's chagrin -- she absolutely hated it haha!). Check this one out if you really love the art of movie-making and take in every bit of it. You won't regret it!

Ok, I'll be back with the next set tomorrow! Thanks for reading!!!

Until later,

No comments: