Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Another First-Third Movie Preview: Part Two

Continued from Part One, which I posted last night. . .

05. LEATHERHEADS (April 04)

Another film that has been postponed from its original release date (it was originally slated for this past Christmas), this one stars was directed and co-written by lead actor George Clooney (you might have heard of him). The film involves football in the 1920's and is a romantic comedy that also stars The Office's John Krasinksi and the usually great Renee Zellweger. The trailer shows a good mixture of humor and drama that should result in a good flick for both the guys and the gals. Plus it's got both Krasinski and Clooney, so the cool guys are featured quite prominently and I am a softie when it comes to forking over my money for movies that have actors that I think are pretty cool. So, yeah, that's the case here.

04. HAROLD AND KUMAR: ESCAPE FROM GUANTANAMO (April 25)

If the title to this sequel doesn't even ring a bell, then you have no idea what I'm talking about here and could never understand why this movie is number four on the list. But it's here and it's not going anywhere. Just like me when I sit down in the theater when this comes out!

03. CLOVERFIELD (January 18)

What can be said that hasn't already been brought up about this little flick about a mysterious monster that terrorizes New York City? All of the promotional material that has been around since July when this first teaser came out before TRANSFORMERS



is beyond anything since, well, SNAKES ON A PLANE. That might scare some people (although I thought SOAP was everything that it should have been) but this looks like a completely different type of picture. It looks scary, creepy, interesting, entertaining, and most of all, secretive! There has yet to be a sneaky picture of the monster or a featured article with the big guy in all his glory. And I love it. I'm probably gonna go at midnight here on Thursday night because I'm so excited to see what all the fuss is about. . . And I'll let you know after that!

02. BE KIND REWIND (February 22)

The final film that was postponed from its original date, this very original film stars Jack Black and Mos Def and is directed by Michel Gondry, who directed the brilliant ETERNAL SUNSHINE OF THE SPOTLESS MIND. The film is about a man (Black) whose brain becomes magnetized and unintentionally destroys every tape in his friend's video store. In order to satisfy the store's most loyal renter, an aging woman with signs of dementia, the two men set out to remake the lost films, which include Back to the Future, The Lion King, and Robocop. How could you not love that premise!?!?

01. PRIDE AND GLORY (March 14)

I knew nothing about this movie until I saw the trailer before AMERICAN GANGSTER and I was immediately aware of the fact that I would be spending money to see this movie and it is all about one guy: Edward Norton. With the exception of 2006's THE ILLUSIONIST, Norton has not starred in a widely released film in four years! He has been doing very small independent films that no one sees and that's it. Well this year, he will star in three anticipated films, including this summer's THE INCREDIBLE HULK, in which he takes over the role of Dr. Bruce Banner from Eric Bana. But it's this film, which co-stars Colin Farrell and Jon Voight, that has me really excited. The classic cop family movie (you know the one where there is good and bad cops, but lo and behold, one of each of those is from the same family. . .) to be sure, but with Norton and Farrell (almost always guaranteed to be at his best) headlining, there is no way that it can miss. Get ready for the year of Edward Norton everyone. . . And I for one could not be happier for the guy.

And that's that! Hit me up with comments on these movies and any that you think I might have left out (I have good reasons -- trust me!).

Hope you enjoyed it all! Take care - - -

Until later,

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Do you have any opinions on "And There Will Be Blood"? I think that is the correct title. It seems like it will be a lot like the Gangs of New York. Maybe we can see it together.