Thursday, September 06, 2007

The Rest O' The Year Movie Preview 2.0

(UPDATE: I ORIGINALLY POSTED PICTURES FOR EACH OF THE TOP 11, BUT FOR SOME REASON THEY DIDN'T SHOW UP - - I'LL WORK ON IT TOMORROW TO TRY TO GIVE YOU SOME IMAGES TO MATCH UP WITH THE BORING, PLAIN MOVIE TITLES!)

Ok, so here's the thing. . .

My original list for the upcoming Fall/Winter season of movies was 25 films deep (plus one wild card, as always). However, as trailers began to hit the internet, I noticed that some premises had not been carried out very well (or at least that I had no desire to find out). So I began to look at my list. . .

Even though I had numbered them out 1-25, it seemed to me that there were films in the teens that I would either a) gun-to-my-head rather see than some in the top 10; or b) end up seeing instead of some in the top 10 because of my usual company at the movies. Understand?

So I went through my list and I circled the top 10 films that I want to see. These are not necessarily going to be the best films of the next four months. These may not even be the most enriching films, either. But these are the 10 films that I hope to see over the next four months (which, seeing my busy schedule, would be quite an accomplishment). Please enjoy as always. . .

O wait!!! Those other films - - -

Well you see, I had all those other films taken down because they do interest me, but they just don't crack the top tier. So here is just a list of the notable films that are releasing during this Fall/Winter (or THE REST O' THE YEAR) that didn't quite make the top 10 (in order of release date):

September
- The Hunting Party (09/07)
- King of California (09/14)
- The Kingdom (09/28)

October
- Michael Clayton (08/05)
- Lars and the Real Girl (08/12)
- 30 Days of Night (08/19)
- Gone Baby Gone (08/19)
- Rendition (08/19)
- Reservation Road (08/19)
- Run, Fatboy, Run (08/26)
- Saw IV (08/26)

November
- Martian Child (11/02)
- Lions for Lambs (11/09)
- No Country for Old Men (11/09)
- Beowulf (11/16)
- Mr. Magorium's Wonder Emporium (11/16)
- Hitman (11/21)

December
- Leatherheads (12/07)
- National Treasure: Book of Secrets (12/21)
- Aliens Vs. Predator - Requiem (12/25)

- - - - - -

Now that's a lot of films - - which is why I had to cut the list down. Those films all interest me in way or another, but the following 11 films (there's always a tie somewhere!) are the gotta-see films coming up. For me. But I don't see any other writers. . . So away we go!

(tie) 10. SWEENEY TODD

TODD stars Johnny Depp, Helena Bonham Carter, Sasha Baron Cohen, and Alan Rickman in the film directed by Tim Burton. The dark (of course, it's a Tim Burton film!) musical adaptation is promising inasmuch as it brings former collaborators Burton, Depp, and Bonham Carter together again. And for me, as long as Depp is not playing Captain Jack Sparrow, I will get excited. After having been extremely disappointed by the final two PIRATES movies, (I refuse to even acknowledge their existence) I feel like Johnny Boy owes us Depp-fans a wonderfully twisted performance a la Ed Wood or Ichabod Crane. Here's hoping he avoided the rum in this one. . . (12/21)

(tie) 10. CHARLIE WILSON'S WAR

WAR stars Tom Hanks, Julia Roberts (in her first film since having some kids), and good ol' Philip Seymour Hoffman in a film written by Aaron Sorkin, the brilliant mind behind TV's SPORTS NIGHT, THE WEST WING, and STUDIO 60 (call me a fan!). Acclaimed director Mike Nichols is directing this adaptation of a book about the CIA's largest and most successful covert CIA operation: the arming of the Mujahedeen in Afghanistan. . . confused? Yeah, me too. And not that interested, right? Well the star power alone is what is going to get me in the theater! I figure, Tom Hanks made CAST AWAY interesting, and Hoffman is the best supporting actor in Hollywood (yes, you can quote me on that). So, yes, I'll be there. . . (12/25)

09. ENCHANTED

When I heard about this movie, I thought it sounded like absolute crap. Girly and/or little kid crap. But then I saw the trailer. Amy Adams (quite possibly the next Julia Roberts) plays a Cinderella-like animated princess who ends up in the real world after falling through some sort of tunnel. New York City sets the scene for a romantic triangle between the princess, the prince who follows her to NYC (James "Cyclops" Marsden), and a charming divorce lawyer (Patrick "McDreamy" Dempsey). The riffs/spoof of the classic Disney tale make this film look extremely smart and witty, which are two things that will always get me to put my money down. And I'll be doing that here for sure! (11/21)

08. DAN IN REAL LIFE

The thing going for this movie: Steve Carell in a dramedy (he definitely has the chops!). Thing going against this movie: Dane Cook. GAHHH!!!!!!!!!! But you know what? In the trailer, he looks restrained; normal, even. So for that reason alone (and the fact that the character Cook plays is in a relationship with CHOCOLAT star Juliette Binoche is just a little interesting, no?) I'm willing to give it a shot. Carell will get me into the theater. Cook will decide if I enjoy my time there. (10/26)

07. THE ASSASSINATION OF JESSE JAMES BY THE COWARD ROBERT FORD

I have been looking forward to this long-winded film (both in its title and running time - it's supposedly nearly 3 hours long) for over a year now, and it will finally see the light of day this Fall. Brad Pitt is playing the famed gunman Jesse James and the brilliant Casey Affleck is taking on the role of Robert Ford, the infamous colleague/assassin of James. A beautiful-looking film (the cinematography looks fantastic!), this JESSE JAMES appears to be giving the western another chance in Hollywood (along with another film, which I'll get to later). Along with Affleck and Pitt, Sam Rockwell and Sam Shepherd provide supporting roles for sophomore director Andrew Dominik. But it's really all about Brad Pitt, who is the perfect fit for one of the most mysterious characters in history. (09/21)

06. BEE MOVIE

Jerry Seinfeld's first attempt at a film comes to life in the form of this potentially wonderful animated adventure about a bee who ventures outside of his hive for the first time. Seinfeld wrote the script and provides the main voice in what is sure to be a brilliantly funny movie. Among the humans lending their voice are Renee Zellweger, Matthew Broderick, Chris Rock, John Goodman, Kathy Bates, Alan Arkin, and Patrick Warburton. The one thing that I am willing to bet about this "yet-another-animated-animal-adventure" is that it is not going to be just that. It's going to be original. And it's going to be funny. Not that there's anything wrong with that. . . (11/02)

05. I AM LEGEND

For the record, I am a huge Will Smith fan. I think he is charismatic, funny, and without a doubt, one of the most sure bets when it comes to the box office. Even though it appears that there is little cast besides Smith, I have a feeling that the film won't be harmed in any way. People will go to see this movie about "the last man on Earth" to find out why "he is not alone". . . dun dun dun! A very creepy trailer leads me to believe that this is no INDEPENDENCE DAY or MEN IN BLACK. . . and that this Christmas might just be better off with a scare or two, with much thanks to the Fresh Prince! (12/14)

04. GRACE IS GONE

This film festival darling is being heralded as this year's LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE without the laughs. . . seems like a downer, huh? Well, when you have material like this (a man finds out that his wife has been killed in the War in Iraq and takes his two young girls on a cross country trip to avoid telling them the news) I can imagine it would be hard to fit in some chuckles. However, the brilliance of John Cusack conquers all, in my opinion. In what will assuredly be one of his most restrained performances to date, the whole films revolves around him and the emotions that run rampant on his character. There is no doubt that a tear or two will be shed during GRACE, and that all viewers will be better off for it in the end. (10/05)

03. SHOOT 'EM UP

I don't need to explain why I want to see this overly violent, sensationalized, basically "let's just see how much shit we can blow up" kind of film. It comes out tomorrow and I will be going ASAP. Love Clive Owen. Love Paul Giamatti. Love mindless (but well-done) action. I don't see how this one can fail. . . (09/07)

02. American Gangster

All you need to know right here is this: Russell Crowe. Denzel Washington. Ridley Scott. . . but if you need a little more nudging, then here's the plot: Denzel is a crime boss in 1970s Harlem and Crowe is an outcast cop who is just brave enough to take down a kingpin. Action, wrongdoing, and no doubt some serious drama ensues. Bring it on, indeed. . . (11/02)

01. 3:10 TO YUMA

No matter how good JESSE JAMES is, it will still only be the second best western of the year, as YUMA is an absolute blast. The action is hardcore and gritty. The acting is phenomenal (the always fantastic Christian Bale is awesome and Russell Crowe - yes, him again - is so deliciously evil as the rogue Ben Wade). What is more, I have already seen it (special screening down at Arclight on Tuesday night), and I can tell you right now that it is unlikely any of these other films will top it. Having spoken to director James Mangold (he was at the screening on Tuesday night for a Q&A following the film - I approached him after and spoke with him for a couple minutes), I can only hope that the film is both profitable and received well across the boards, as he is quite a cool guy (and also the director of two of my personal faves, WALK THE LINE and IDENTITY). I'm contemplating writing a review for it, but I doubt it, with all of the other stuff that I'm writing (plus, this thing here!).

But all I can say is this: go see 3:10 TO YUMA this weekend. It's not a strictly guy movie, as I believe that women will enjoy it as well. O, and look for a phenomenal turn by Ben Foster (Angel from X-MEN 3) as Charlie, Ben Wade's right hand man. He just might have stolen the show from the two big leads. . . Almost :D

. . . . . .

So I hope you enjoyed the preview of the upcoming films. It's after doing one of these posts that I really enjoy comments, so go ahead and comment away :D

Gotta go to bed now - - school in the morning and then work at night. . . I have a long day ahead of me! Have a great Friday everyone!

Until later,

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am excited for some of those movies, and some of them I didn't even know were coming out until I read this so...THANKS!!!

:)