Tuesday, October 10, 2006

The Week Grab-Bag:
The Optimism Through Misfortune Version

(Note to Heather) There you go, baby. I can be positive. Even through adversity. . . (ha ha!)

Anywho, how are ya? I don't apologize for not posting in a week because I've been pretty doggone busy. But I figured that I would throw something your way before I got caught up in another week. Because you know that it would be next Monday again before I knew it and I would have much to relay to all of you. So, without further ado, allow me to get into the post that you've been waiting a week for. Enjoy the (AS ALWAYS!) non-chronological goodness. . .

- All is pretty good on the bowling front. I still go every Monday night and Chris has decided to make it a weekly thing too. And that's cool. I really like the guy (he's a cool dude), and he is almost as competitive as I am, so it's a rip-roaring good time when we get warmed up. Last week I had an average of 150 and this week it was around the same thing. That means my average is up a good 30 points from when I used to bowl a lot. So, needless to say, I'm stoked. I'm happy that I've found another hobby (besides movie-watching, poker, and blogging. . .) and that I have friends to participate with me. However, last night was the worst night of bowling, but not because of my performance. Not only have they reduced the times (it used to be 2100-midnight and now it's an hour shorter) but the lane was being stupid tonight and the jerk guy who works there was working tonight. Chris and I were pissed at how the night went but we wanted to bowl so we did our thing and left. O well. There's always next week. . .

- I had a poker tournament (which you can also read about on Cy's and George's blog) on Sunday night. There were 10 participants, and I felt like I was one of the top 3 players in the room. I started slow (a bad indicator) but made it to the final table of 5 (I was the short stack at this time, though). I really did not get good hands all night. I had probably three good hands all night. Anyway, I went out in fifth. George won (good job, buddy). I was pissed. I probably looked like such a tool on Sunday night, but I don't care. Anyone who knows me, knows how competitive I am. Plus, there was $20 at stake! So of course I was upset when I got knocked out. I was steaming the rest of the time that they were playing. O well. I guess I can't win them all. . . But Why???

- I worked on both Thursday (by myself) and Saturday (with Chris) nights. And you know what I finally did? I finally put my ego aside and was friendly to my GM Charlie. I even made him laugh a couple of times throughout the night! I felt like this was a huge step! It may not be, and he may just be humoring me to later screw me over (yet again) but for right now, I'm hopeful. You see, this week's TT schedule looks like this: Chris (4 days); Gerardo (5 days); Alfredo (5 days); Justin (2 days). Isn't that crappy!?!?! Charlie took over the schedules from the guy who gave me four days and I immediately went to 2 days. A bit fishy, no??? So we'll see how my new approach to working (sucking up!) affects my schedule. . .

- So Friday night was mine and Heather's big date. And it was, in a word, FANTASTIC! We first went to dinner at a place called Parker's Lighthouse. We had reservations for 1800. But here's where I get romantic points. . . I had checked the weather online and the sun was gonna set around 1830. So I asked when making the reservations if we could be by one of the windows looking towards the West. It was perfect. The sun started to go down right before our dinner came and we watched it set while watching boats come into the harbor (the restaurant sits at the end of a pier on the LB harbor. We left there and headed to the Long Beach Terrace Theater just down the street. As you may remember, I bought tickets for us to go see CHICAGO on stage in the LB. It's a touring version of the play, giving other people a chance to see it without having to go to Broadway or London (Thanks!). We were 13 rows from the stage, but kinda close to the right aisle. I wish we had been more centered, but it was still great. The play caused me to laugh, cringe (just one part), laugh, be awed (the lady who played Mama Morton - Queen Latifah in the film - had a jaw-dropping voice), laugh, wish I was musically talented, and laugh (did I mention that already?)! The girl who played Roxie was incredible and was very crowd-friendly. Our Velma, according to Heather, was a little too dramatic, but she is insanely talented when it comes to singing and dancing. I loved the Amos (Roxie's husband) in this as well. However, the thing that was the greatest of all was the bantering, wise, and quick-witted Billy Flynn. Gregory Harrison (who apparently is in AIR BUD 2!) was great in the role made famous by Richard Gere in the film. I loved how different of an adaptation it was (Although there were many similarities as well). From simple ways of saying a line to dance steps to the long Roxie monologue (one of the highlights of the night), it was a wonderful experience!

- The first issue of the AVC EXAMINER has now been released to the school! For a few of you relatives (I'm talking specifically to you GP and Mom-Mom), I was able to get a copy for you, but until I see you to give it to you, you can go here to see what it looks like (although you are gonna need Adobe Reader to access it. . .). I have three articles in (pages 3 and 9) the issue and I'm really excited! I took a copy to Mrs. Horning, my high school English teacher, and she was so happy it made me even more happy! I know it is not that big of a deal (Well, maybe it is) but I'm really stoked about the whole thing! Stay tuned with this one!

- I have only seen one movie in the last couple of weeks, but it was a great one. JACKASS: NUMBER TWO is exactly what you would expect it to be. It's dumb! It's painful (to watch)! It's naked men! And you know what? It's hilarious! I mean, when you look at this picture, the first word that comes to mind just happens to be jackass!


I mean, more power to 'em! They made quite a bit of money, too! I'm actually glad that they made some money too. It might just mean that there is a JACKASS 3 coming up for us! . . . (GRADE: B+)

- So I went 11-3 this past weekend in the pool. Ya know, that is good, but I'm so upset! You see, I started 11-0! I lost the last three games of the week and really, it all comes down to one thing: "I hate DREW BLEDSOE!" (Cy and George know why. .)

- STUDIO 60 ON THE SUNSET STRIP is now the best show on television. Period. No other opinions will be considered. Thank you, come again.

- Well I gotta work tonight, so I need to get myself ready and all. Hope you enjoyed it all!

Have a good night all,

JUSTIN

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Justin: I did try and read the articles in the newspaper, but the print was so small, that it was impossible for me, I guess that is old age, I will wait for my copy. Also, what a delightful date you had planned for your date, Heather. I know you both will remember those good times. I am not good on the movies, but I enjoy your comments. Love you, P and MM

Anonymous said...

my best friend would have gone undefeated this week if it werent for bledslow... hahaha...

that was just horrible.. i think my mom went undefeated though..

Anonymous said...

Justin - I caught up on the last couple of blogs tonight -- so I have to admit that I wasn't one that commented last time ??? Although, I would have said -- "Do not be anxious for anything" -- Easier said than done.....Today is a big day with your first published piece. I'm proud of you. Keep up the hard work - persevere and you will succeed and since I didn't comment last time either on you & Caleb in the wedding -- I'm anxious to see both my guys all dressed up! I know this is almost as long as your blog, but de-ja-vu tonight watching your brother at his first basketball practice -- I only said -- "shoot the ball, Justin" -- twice! Weird.... Love ya, your Madre

Cy said...

lol, Drew Bledsoe. I don't even follow sports and I know that a QB is supposed to throw passes to HIS OWN TEAM. Good one, Drew.