Wednesday, October 25, 2006

The Extended Weekend Grab-Bag:
The It's About Time Version

Real quick set-up for this one:

Every section will be preceded with an assumed "It's About Time. . ." Got it? Consider this post one giant imperative sentence, except it'll be "It's About Time" instead of "You". Ok? Ok.

IT'S ABOUT TIME. . .

- That I'm actually blogging. I know that was the first thing you thought of. I know you!

- That I finally did well on a Biology test. On the third test, which I got back on Monday, I received a 43 out of 50, good for my first B. That brings my overall grade up to a 79.3%. I'm close to that B!!! Plus, if you throw in my Lab grade (which, I'm assuming, is a high B or low A) to create my overall Biology grade, then I definitely have a B. Good stuff!

- That I got a desireable schedule at ol' JC. FINALLY FINALLY FINALLY!!! Remember how I told you that I had been nice to Charlie a couple weeks back. Well, my schedule for this week is exactly what I want. Coincidence? I think not! The schedule is Thursday night by myself (a guaranteed $75 in tips, but usually more), Saturday night with Chris and the new TT Gabriel (a very easy $60 or so) and then Sunday morning with Chris (but it's actually 1230 so I can go to church with the fam, which is better news for my madre then me - she likes it when I'm there!). Chris still has the Tuesday night, so on the weeks I work it (we are still alternating Tuesdays) like this week, I get four days! It's a beautiful thing. I only have one worry: I am taking off next week (10/30-11/05) because I have quite a few events that week (LAKERS/SUNS game, Manny and Jenn's wedding, Chargers game) and I didn't wanna have to worry about having people cover shifts or whatever. My fear is that I will lose that schedule when I come back (or that I won't get the days off that I need, which would actually be worse, cuz then I would either have to wheel and deal really quick-like, or call in sick, which would not be a good thing). We'll see. But for the time being, all is satisfactory on the JC front, just because it can never be outstanding!

- That I can begin wearing Cy-shirts again! It's starting to cool off, slowly but surely, here in Lancaster and I broke out a long-sleeved button-up today at school. Good stuff! I like this weather. You know the kind where it's not that cold to where a jacket isn't necessary but it's still cold enough that a recommendable way to stay warm is snuggling? Yeah, it's like that right now :D

- That THE PRESTIGE, my number three movie on my REST O' THE YEAR MOVIE PREVIEW, came out! I went last Friday night with Heather to go see the first movie I've seen in a long time to meet every one of my expectations. That doesn't make it the best movie I've seen this year (that position is still held by LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE), it just means that it didn't disappoint me. If you want to go see a great movie, go see THE PRESTIGE. All hail Christopher Nolan!!!

- That the NBA season is coming! Just under a week left til gametime for my PHOENIX SUNS! (O yeah, click that link for a really cool musical intro to their page - I love it!) I'm preparing my season preview. . . It's coming. Don't worry.

- That a week in the NFL season was filled with miracle finishes and upsets. Bummer part was that it was the week I didn't pick them. I went 7-6 last week, which was respectable against my competition. The week winner went 9-4. Wow. I'm only two games back of third place and three back of first. I'm coming for you guys!!! And speaking of picks, here goes this coming week's picks (I know they're early, but I just did them - and for a little added fun, I'm throwing in the type of game it will be, with my choices being NAILBITER (0-7 point win), BARELY BREATHING EASY (8-14), and WALK IN THE PARK (15+ point win):

(home team in CAPS)

GREEN BAY over Arizona - Barely Breathing Easy
(Favre is playing better and Arizona might have had the biggest letdown ever losing to the AWFUL Oakland Raiders last week. I'm going home field on this one.)

CINCINNATI over Atlanta - Barely Breathing Easy
(My Bengals pulled the upset last week over Carolina and this week they put the hurt on the Falcons and overrated Michael Vick. I'm also predicting at least 3 TD passes for my boy Carson Palmer.)

NEW ORLEANS over Baltimore - Nailbiter
(The edge goes to the Saints who don't feel it necessary to lose in the renovated Superdome.)

Houston over TENNESSEE - Barely Breathing Easy
(The Texans proved something to me last week: they can fight. The Titans suck. There you go.)

Jacksonville over PHILADELPHIA - Nailbiter
(I still think the Eagles and Donovan McNabb are overrated. Last week was just a hiccup for the Jags. They'll win a close one.)

KANSAS CITY over Seattle - Barely Breathing Easy
(No Hasselbeck, no win. It's that simple for the Seahawks against a Chiefs team who shocked the Chargers last week.)

CHICAGO over San Francisco - Walk in the Park
(The line should be somewhere around 21 for this one. I'm gonna say final score: 38-9)

NEW YORK GIANTS over Tampa Bay - Nailbiter
(The Barber Brothers face-off and Tiki will score the winning TD for the surging Giants.)

SAN DIEGO over St. Louis - Nailbiter
(If it was in Missouri, I would pick the Rams. Upset possibility here!)

Indianapolis over DENVER - Barely Breathing Easy
(Although it'll be an almost Walk in the Park. Peyton will show up the great Bronco defense because he is the best QB out there. A 2 TD win for the Colts.)

New York Jets over CLEVELAND - Walk in the Park
(I told you last week, and I'll tell you again: the J-E-T-S are good! They have six gimme wins the rest of the year, which would give them 10 for the year. If they can upset Minnesota or New England, look for them to snag a Wild Card bid)

Pittsburgh over OAKLAND - Walk in the Park
(Big Ben or no Big Ben. The Raiders got lucky to play the Cardinals last week after their tragic letdown against the Bears. Even Charlie Batch at QB will destroy the Raiders.)

CAROLINA over Dallas - Walk in the Park
(Sinking Ship Alert! I don't see the Cowboys finishing over .500 this season. Poor Tony Romo. . .)

New England over MINNESOTA - Barely Breathing Easy
(The Pats have quietly moved to 5-1 and could coast to 12-4, which would be good enough to outlast the Jets. They're good. Watch out Indy.)

- That I finished that part. I like doing that now. It's fun. I feel like a real sports writer!!!

- That I bought some new shoes! I finally purchased the JORDAN CLASSICS, a casual shoe made by NIKE. They're nice, and since I bought them through Manny, I got a discount. Even better!!! I think they'll be my official coaching shoe. . .




















- That another issue of THE EXAMINER is on its way out. Look for it around campus the first week of November folks!

Well, that about does it for tonight. Please give me some feedback on my blogs - I am more motivated to keep doing it when I know that I have people reading them and getting something out of them. Thanks to all of those out there who have kept reading!!!

Goodnight all!!!

- - - "Are you watching closely"
- - - Borden (Christian Bale) in THE PRESTIGE

JUSTIN

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I do like it when you're with us. I like the shoes too -- excellent coaching shoe choice! Great job in Biology! Keep it up! And yes, I'm counting down too -- 5 days until our Suns beat the Lakers again! Love you.

Anonymous said...

Hi Justin: It was nice seeing your name in the Examiner. Looking forward to more articles. Sounds like a good working schedule. Keep up the good work. Nice seeing the family this week. Have a good weekend. Love, Pop and Mom-Mom