Monday, June 26, 2006

The Weekend Grab-Bag: The All-About Timing Version

Happy Monday to you all!

This here Grab-Bag will feature events pertaining to the days of Thursday June 22 to Sunday June 25. Just so you know. And remember, as in most Grab-Bags, the following is in no way chronological. . .

- I viewed three movies in the theatre realm this past weekend. In a nice touch, all of them are featured in my SUMMER MOVIE PREVIEW. Now, of the original 26 films featured on that list, I have seen six. Only six. I'm working on it, give me a break! I actually would like to switch my wild-card pick (MY SUPER EX-GIRLFRIEND) with a movie that has just dropped like a fifty-pound weight in a pool (LITTLE MAN - the absolute retardation featured in this film's longer trailer completely turned me off). So now that I have that off my chest, allow me to recommend only one of the last three movies I've seen - - OVER THE HEDGE, an absolutely fun experience in a childish sort of way. My man-crush (thanks for the title, Emily) on Steve Carell certainly aided in my appreciation of the film (and his character, Hammy), but either way, I really enjoyed it. Go see it as a family - this is one of the few "fun for everyone" films. (Grade: B). I also saw CLICK (Grade: C) and THE OMEN (Grade: C-) this past weekend, but neither did enough to make them recommendable. THE OMEN entertained me (and also creeped me out a bit) but wasn't that good of a film, per se. Let's just say I laughed more than I was scared. CLICK was actually a drama with several immature moments. I would actually like to see this movie redone but as a serious dramatic piece... O wait! It's already been done! I consider this film a lot like THE CHRISTMAS CAROL, you know, the story about Ebenezer Scrooge??? Yeah, quite similar. If Adam Sandler hadn't had his few funny scenes, this would have been a different type of film for him. However, he always has to have that scene where he farts in someone's face. Serious Sandler? Almost, but not quite. . .

- I've been watching a lot of the WORLD CUP. Well, not a lot, but a whole heck of a lot more than I usually watch. I'm really amazed by the athleticism of the players out there. The way they time their actions (sense a word usage here. . . think "the title") out on the field and all - let's just say that it impresses me. I'm rooting for England (not sure why) and Ghana (cuz no one expects them to win). We'll see. It's fun to have a sport ongoing that's not as boring as watching grass grow (that would be regular season baseball).

- I worked Thursday night, Saturday night, and Sunday morning. I worked about 18 hours over those three days, which is funny, because at the opening I would do that in a day and a half. Work is work. My GM frustrates me, one of my fellow TTs frustrates me, and stupid servers frustrate me (but there are only a few of those). I know, I know, that's the way work is. But honestly, I am looking forward to trying to get into an occupation that I, o I don't know, enjoy! If my dream came true, and I was an NBA announcer for ESPN, ABC, or some other sort of deal, I can't imagine having gripes and complaints. It's what I want to do. How can what you want be frustrating???? (That's tongue-in-cheek, by the by - I know that everything in this world is frustrating. That's the cynic in me)

- Friday was HEATHERday. I went and saw her and we got to hang out all day! It was such a great day, and can only be explained by the smile that never left my face (except when we were watching CLICK ha ha!). We went to JOHNNY ROCKET'S for lunch (yummy in my belly), did the double feature (CLICK and OVER THE HEDGE back to back - that was fun. It was almost more fun planning it out and figuring out the timing of the whole situation. CLICK ended and OTH began ten minutes later. Great stuff), had some Dippin' Dots (they had an actual store by the theatre we were at - like a Coldstone - and this is something I've been trying to find since I first discovered the wonderful ice cream treat at SIX FLAGS), went to CLAIM JUMPERS (can't go wrong there) and had some us time that only we can appreciate. You see, we always say that others would be honestly sickened by listening to us together. I can't explain it in real words, because the English language has no words that describe how I feel about my FF (future fiance' :D ). Time spent with her is good time. Great time. Absolutely enthralling and exhilirating time (you see, I can't even start to describe it with these futile words!).

- Today is PayDay (no not the candy bar). I get my first taste of my OPENING money. Hopefully that's a good thing. . .

- One of my favorite bands (definitely top 5), DASHBOARD CONFESSIONAL, has a new CD coming out on Tuesday. I will definitely be buying that on Tuesday. Yes indeed.

I think that's good enough for now. I don't really have much more to say, actually. O well... Enjoy your week everyone (and go see SUPERMAN RETURNS this week - I might be going to a 2200 Tuesday night show the night before it's release, this is still TBA - cuz it looks awesome!).

- - -

Until later,

JUSTIN

No comments: