Saturday, June 03, 2006

It's All Over But The Cryin'

Except there was brief almost-crying.

My Phoenix Suns are again the defeated team in the Western Conference Finals. We lost 4 games to 2 to the worthy Dallas Mavericks (we lost 4-1 last year to the eventual champion San Antonio Spurs). It's sad. Heather told me she doesn't know why it's something that changes one's mood when a sports team loses. She told me this while I was sad on the phone with her following the game. I couldn't explain it. . . and I still can't. But I will try: True, the Suns have given me nothing in return for my devotion over the years. It's a completely one-sided relationship. However, I put lots of effort, time, and money into this team. I have spent many an hour watching the Suns this season, including two live games against the Lakers. I root for this team everytime they take the floor. I back the players in their actions (Raja Bell's wrangling of Kobe Bryant is one example) and I celebrate in their accomplishments (Steve Nash's back-to-back MVP's). This is my team. The Phoenix Suns are the only team in any sport that I truly support with all of my rooting energy. And now they are out. Again. We have never won a championship, despite many almosts. Yeah, there's always next year (and for us, the future is bright) but I was really hopeful for this season. O well. Now we're gone fishin'.

Enough of the sadness. . .

I'm heading to Downey tomorrow. I come home on the 19th. That's over two weeks for those of you keeping count at home. I'm not sure how it's going to go, but I'm going with no expectations. That way, my friends, I can't be surprised, let down, or disgruntled.

You know what's exciting, though? Where I'm staying is a mere 13 miles from Heather!!! I am gonna be able to see her almost every day! That is awesome!

I will try to do my best to post updates (via Heather's computer) during the opening, but I'm not promising anything. Wish me luck, and I'll be seeing ya. . .

- - - "Everything ends badly. Otherwise, it wouldn't end."
- - - Bryan Flanagan (Tom Cruise) in COCKTAIL, which I watched again tonight; Love this movie!!!

Goodnight and au revoir,

Sad Sun Fan,

JUSTIN

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey what's up! Sorry we didn't get to see you this weekend. Justin and I were at UrgentCare until (enter expletive)in' one-thirty in the morning on Friday night, and then we spent Saturday with my mom because it was her birthday. I know that Dane Cook says that the DMV is "Satan's asshole," but Kaiser UrgentCare in the middle of the night is the most horrible mixture of disease, aggravated people, and white trash! (Not to mention obnoxious, uninformative ABC news blaring loudly on like five televisions. I'm glad that the hospital is using its money for entertainment to keep people waiting for five freakin' hours calm, instead of, you know, medicine and more staff). Anyways, have fun in Downey wherever that is. It sounds made up...are you sure you're not just sleeping outside Heather's apartment because you miss her? just kidding. if you couldn't tell, I have a paper to write, and I am instead writing you a paper in hopes that carpal tunnel will kick in so that I won't have to write for my class.

oh well, my fingers still work. I will talk to you later. sorry we didn't see you this weekend. have fun in imaginary downeyland.