Sunday, June 11, 2006

The Week Grab: The All-Things New Version

Well hello there!!!

Could you imagine a new post from the traveling, ever-working, JOHNNY CARINO'S trainer. Well imagine no more - cuz here is a new post!

It's Sunday and it's my day off. I'm at Heather's apartment, but she's at work right now. So I figured since I can't watch TV (no cable here) I would give you some sort of an update on my busy busy busy (did I mention busy?) week.

I arrived in Downey on Monday around noon time. I checked into the hotel that I would be ultimately living out of for two weeks and then called Christi, the Team Leader at the Downey Opening. For those of you who don't know (or didn't read my previous posts) I'm in Downey serving as the (and that means only) Table Tender trainer for the brand new JC that has been put up here. As a trainer, I have to teach classrooms, demonstrate, critique, and ultimately rule over 10 Table Tenders. This has been a completely new and exciting time for me. Not only am I banking (trainer-pay baby!), but I'm actually producing the TTs that will be representing that restaurant. However, all of this comes at a price. And for us JC trainers, that price is sleep. Our work week (Monday-Sunday) just completed and my time card says that I worked 60.75 hours this week. No, I did not put the period in the wrong spot. I averaged 10 hours a day for six straight days. Now, I worked about six hours on two of those days, so what does that tell you about the other four? I had upwards of thirteen hours recorded on some days this week. My work to sleep ratio is roughly 2:1 seeing that I averaged around 5 hours of sleep a night.

Back to the actual training process. I have six AM TT and I have four PM TT. Of these ten staff members, two of them are what we call "S.T.'s". They are called this because that means they are "s-t-ruggling" and we don't want to embarass them. I figure that's a pretty good ratio, considering that I have eight TTs that need little to no constructive criticism. But now I'm gonna try to remember my day-to-day routine for you so you get a feel for how the opening has gone thus far:

- MONDAY: I got over to the restaurant around 1230. Like I said earlier (there's been a long tangent since I remarked about it) I had called Christi to see if I could head over to work even though I was not scheduled to start work til Tuesday. She said that she could probably find something for me to do, so I got my butt over there to start getting hours. I ended up putting in 7.5 hours of work and teaching my PM TTs their class a day early. They day was a completely odd-feeling one for me, as I have never taught a TT class before (hell, I haven't even been taught the TT class!). My biggest fear going into this opening was that of teaching the sidework that is required for all TTs at my JC to do before they go home. I may or may not have given out all of that before (I can't remember if I've told you all) but it's a lot of work. Our sidework includes breaking down both beverage stations (about 15-20 min. each), cleaning out all of the parmesan cheese bowls throughout the restaurant (my least favorite - this one can take forever!), and about five or six other chores that take a total of an hour and a half when done alone (give or take). Well I was going to have to "P.B. and J" all of these jobs for my staff members, and that worried me, because there was a possibility that I could teach it the wrong way, and that would be absolutely horrible. BUT, (and that's a big "but") I found out... O wait, that's all coming on

- TUESDAY: On my second day of training, I was told that the servers would be doing all of the sidework (the way it should be - - fifteen people can do it so much faster than two and way faster than one!) and the TTs would only be required to check the bathrooms, take out some trash, sweep a little, and roll all the clean silverware (a job, at my JC, that is divied up between the servers). This was such a relief to me! So, on this day (06/06/06 - weird, huh?) I taught my AM TTs all that I had taught my PMs (not to be confused with PMS - although there has been a little of that amongst the trainers!) the night before and then furthered the training of my PMs that night. Tuesday ended up being an 11.5 hour day when all was said and done. Tuesday night I went to see Heather for a brief two hours (we watched FERRIS BUELLER'S DAY OFF - again) and that made my night wonderful in itself! My hotel (a La Quinta Inn for those wanting to know) is in La Palma, a city about 13 miles from the JC and about 14 miles from Heather (different directions though - the JC is 11 miles from Heather). Unfortunately, I had to head back to get some sleep for

- WEDNESDAY: I had to be there early on this day because I had to go through Trainer Orientation with another guy who was also a late arrival (everyone else had gotten there Sunday and gone thru said orientation on Monday morning) so we were at the restaurant at 0825. The orientation didn't last as long as they had thought and we had about an hour to kill. Or so we thought. We were instead asked to go on a wild goose chase in search of nametags and a McDonald's. We got back just in time with the requested materials (the former, a necessary material for our staff members and the latter, a breakfast treat for our Team Leaders) and readied for another busy day. Wednesday ended up being my longest day in terms of hours (12.75) and had the shortest break (less than a half hour - sounds illegal no? - yeah, I'm not sure either). I actually forget what it all entailed, but I know I was really tired when all was said and done. Which leads me to

- THURSDAY: This, another 11.5 hour day, was our first day of live role play. We had an invitation-only lunch and dinner that provided our staff members with a chance to learn on real guests. The food was free for our guests (seriously, JC goes all out on openings - trainer lodging, our salaries, free food for us every meal, airplane tickets for those trainers from NorCal, and of course a completely complimentary two lunches and two dinners for several thousand people) and the experience was very interesting. I can't really remember my opening, but I'm sure I was nervous as hell, so I tried my best to help out my staff members with whatever they needed. I discovered my stars (two of my PMs remind me of cool TTs back home) and also was frustrated with my "S.Ts". I had to do evaluations on all of my staff members and that was also a gut-wrenching experience. It's hard to tell someone that they need to do better when they look back in disbelief. Not my favorite part of the job. Now, because Thursday was such a long day, a bunch of the trainers wanted to go out and party a little. I had yet to hang out with them at night (something I wanted to try a little) and I took advantage of this opportunity and did just that. (Note to Mom: Stop Reading :D ) A group of 16 of us went to T.G.I.FRIDAY'S for some hang out time (for all of the others, it was for drinking time). Yeah, I'm responsible, so don't worry. I was actually a designated driver, which was a hilarious experience. None of them got plastered or anything, but I was happy to drive anyways - - I enjoyed my cherry cokes and fries. You know, (brief tangent) I have never tasted alcohol. The closest thing to it that I've had would probably be Nyquil. Yeah, quite possibly half of the trainers who drank that night aren't actually 21 (I think there were only a few actually), but I just didn't want to. I figure, a law is a law. When I turn 21, I'll probably drink a bit. Cy and I are planning a Vegas trip for my 21st and yeah, we'll probably have something while playing our Texas Hold 'Em, but I'll be the guy sipping down Pina Coladas and stuff like that. That's just me. After FRIDAY'S, we went back to the hotel, where the party moved to a hotel room. I won't divulge what happened here, but I was laughing almost the whole time. Drunk people are funny. That's all I'll say.

- FUN FRIDAY: That's what it's called around JC because it's round 2 of the live role play, and it includes a nighttime cameo by the owners. That's right, John Gantos, the guy who signs my check, was there eating. Friday night might have been one of the craziest nights ever. Doors were supposed to close at 2030 and yet the last party did not get sat until 2130. I only had 3 TTs for this shift, which was not enough seeing that they're still learning (and honestly, the policies at this JC are weird - I appreciate my restaurant a little more now). I was bussing too, even to the extent of sweating like a fool. What a night! This was a 12.25 hour day that didn't end until 2330. We actually stayed at the restaurant until after midnight and I didn't roll into my room until 0037 (I know the exact time because I turned on the TV and Conan was just starting ha ha). I am just laying there enjoying his monologue and I get a call from one of the other trainers who says we have the conference room downstairs for the night if we want it to watch a movie and hang out. I'm exhausted, but I sleepily agree. I ended up hanging out down in the conference room (and this night was all non-alcoholically inspired) until 0330! We chatted whilst FIGHT CLUB played on the TV. We talked about everything under the sun (I'm pretty sure about this fact). It was a lot of fun, but

- SATURDAY: The day that came too fast. I got about 3 hours of sleep Friday night, so I was pretty well useless. It was a short work day though (5.5 hours). Even in my tired state, I managed to create something cool. Saturday was 3 C's day (I forget what that stands for, but it was basically review/safety training day) and I had to entertain my TTs for two hours. This took skill. I set up the so-called "Gauntlet" (yes, I named it) in the one room that I was given to teach or whatever. It consisted of three dirty tables (all clean dishes, but we pretended), a cup quiz (this was 8 different beverage containers and the different racks from the Dish Room that they go in - my TTs had to put them in the correct rack), and roling-silverware practice. They enjoyed it, I think. I promised them that I would go at the end, and that motivated them too. Rigoberto (my only non-English-speaking TT - I use my others to translate) and Angelica (I have two, count them, two female TTs) tied with the time of six minutes. I did it in six point five, but all my tables were perfect - they had flaws :D . . . We had a long lunch break and then I had to do a little improvising, as my room from the morning was being used for something else in the PM. I basically told them some stuff and we helped clean up around the restaurant. I got them out of there fast so I could get out of there too. I had planned a date night with Heather because we were getting out of work early. However, Friday night supplied the information that we had a Mandatory Trainer Outing (a Trainer Appreciation Dinner) on Saturday night at 1900. Talk about disappointing. Anyway, I headed to Heather's around 1630 and hung out til 1830 - actually, I slept. My absolute lethargy was difficult to counter, and I passed out on her bed while she cleaned her apartment. She woke me up at 1800 so we could snuggle (I love snuggling with someone so beautiful) before I left for the Outing. We were supposed to be there at 1900 sharp (in the lobby). I was. The last ones got there at 1920 or so, and we finally left for EL TORITO (across the street from the hotel) at 1930. I had asked the Team Leaders if my wonderful Heather could attend, and that was answered with a resounding "nope". So, I had to sit there whilst my co-trainers bitched about not being able to drink (the management was there). I did eat really well (order the Carne Asada dinner there - wow!) and then we were presented with some gifts (a baseball jersey with DOWNEY 18 on it - this is the 18th JC in California - and a small lunchpail/cooler thing). When my buddies left to go get drunk (they got the green light once the management left), I headed directly to my wonderful Heather for as much time as possible.

- SUNDAY: Today, I got to Heather ASAP. She's working this morning/afternoon, but I'm at her place watching after her new little friend - a kitten. Pete (as he will be named if she keeps him) is a kitten who was brought into PETCO a couple days ago. Some woman brought him in and said she didn't know what to do with him. The poor guy, Pete was flea-infested, malnourished, and living on the streets. All of the employees had a crack at taking him home, but no one was willing or able. Heather, as those of you who know her know, is a sucker for kitties, and took him when no one else would. She spent two sleepless nights getting rid of fleas (flea baths for kitty), syringe-feeding, and just plain loving a cat back to existence. Now, Pete is a flea-free, very cute little kitten. He's still very skinny (you can feel his ribs and spine when you pick him up) but that will go away with time. So, yeah.... Not sure what the rest of the night will entail, but I wanted to take this time to give an update on me. Feel honored (this took me two hours...)

I hope you all have a good week. I'm not sure when my next post will be, but I go home the 19th, so definitely expect one then.

- - - HAPPY BIRTHDAY POP!!! HAPPY BIRTHDAY CHELS!!!

Until my next post,

JUSTIN

No comments: