Wednesday, May 24, 2006

Welcome to the Layer Cake

So how have you all been? Well I guess I can't hear your answer, but I hope it was a positive one :D - - - Today was a really good day, actually. Here's what it entailed. . .

So I had a crazy scary dream last night. I dreamt that a crazy man (referred to in the dream as a "psycho lumberjack") came into JOHNNY CARINO'S with a sawed-off shotgun and went to town. Yeah, scary, I know. So he goes back to the office and tells those of us in the front not to move or do anything "heroic". Some hero goes to the phone in the front and starts to dial 9-1-1. As he does, we hear a commotion and our manager Ron (he's actually a manager at the Victorville JC, but he's helping us out some days) is all of a sudden being pushed across the restaurant by said lumberjack. We're not sure what's going on, but there are only a few guests anyway, so it's mostly employees. Just then, the crazy man sees the hero at the front (through the glass partition at the front - you'd know if you you've been in there) and raises his shotgun and blows the guy's head off. Scary, I know!!! So as that happens, (I, by the way, am huddled on the ground by our big table - 53 for those of you really wanna know) I stick a chair in front of me and kinda scoot around towards the Host Stand. Just as I'm getting ready to make a run for the door. . .

I wake up. Doesn't that suck!?!? I wanted to know what happened after that, but I couldn't fall back asleep (stupid impatient bladder). O well. I think I made it out ok :D

I got up and did my usual computer/TV stuff in the morning. I made myself some lunch around noon and then popped in LAYER CAKE, an independent film starring the new James Bond Daniel Craig. This is my random movie recommendation. Rent it. Watch it. Love it. It's really quirky, cool, and unpredictable. I really enjoyed it, even though I wasn't always sure what was going on. Overall, a great find. (Grade: A-)

I left for work around 1500 (I had to work at 1630) because I had several errands to run. I stopped and got gas at SAM'S CLUB (thanks Mom-mom: my gift card is now zeroed out :D ), went to the Mall, went to BEST BUY, and then sat in my car for about fifteen minutes before work listening to my new cd (The Fray - really really good).

Work was fine - not as dead as last night, but still pretty slow. I didn't have to close tonight cuz I was not the only TT on! Less money, less hours, but less responsibility. In this instance, I'm fine with that. Today was my fifth straight day at JC, and tomorrow makes six. I'm really tired of that place this week. During work, I was constantly sneaking away to the bar to catch as much of GAME 1 of the Western Conference Finals between my SUNS and the MAVERICKS. It was an intense game (one I will be watching tonight in its entirety thanks to TIVO) and ended on a buzzer-beater shot by BORIS DIAW, the hero for the SUNS tonight! We stole one in Dallas and that alone is exciting. Look out, cuz here come the SUNS!!!

I left there around 2120 and headed to Heather's house (although, without her there, it's kinda silly to call it that). Barbara had called me and said to call her back, but I just decided to visit instead. I let Chels borrow my cd case (containing125 or so cds) to copy onto her IPOD. Don't you just love technology? So I was sitting in the living room with Barbara watching American Idol (My boy TAYLOR won!!! I liked that guy from his first audition and I'm so stoked that he won - his will be the first AI cd that I actually buy for myself) and she tells me the news that I had already heard from Heather via an earlier text: Heather and I are going HOT-AIR BALLOONING on Saturday morning! Yes, my readers, you read that correctly. Heather had gotten a certificate from her mom for her birthday (yes, in December) to go hot-air ballooning. We are finally cashing that in and it's this Saturday. I'm scared and excited. Those babies go high!!!

Now I'm home. I'm gonna change outta the work clothes and then go downstairs and watch the game. I can't wait! So, yeah!

So I'll preview my weekend for ya, seeing that it will be unlikely you will get another new post from me until Sunday. . . We'll see.

- Thursday: Work at 1630, Midnight showing of X-MEN: THE LAST STAND with Heather, Cy, Justin, and a friend of his from work.

- Friday: Universal Studios trip with Heather, Cy, and Chels followed by possible dinner at Universal City Walk, which then leads to the LAUGH FACTORY in Hollywood (either 2000 or 2200 - Bob Saget is the headliner!) and then a trip home late at night.

- Saturday: Hot-air ballooning at 0600 (gotta be there a bit earlier than that) as long as the weather is good, a possible movie with Heather in the early afternoon, and then I work at 1600 (another one of those eight-hour doozies).

SO..... That's why I won't be blogging. But expect a complete recap on Sunday in the the next installment of the WEEKEND GRAB-BAG! (A little self-promotion!)

So goodnight folks - - I hope all is goody good with all of you.

- - - You're born, you take shit. You get out in the world, you take more shit. You climb a little higher, you take less shit. Till one day you're up in the rarefied atmosphere and you've forgotten what shit even looks like. Welcome to the layer cake son.
- - - Eddie Temple to XXXX (the character has no name - but it's Daniel Craig); he calls the above the "Facts of Life"

Later,

Justin

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Justin: Glad to know that you have used your gas card at Sam's Club, when we visit again, I will try to have it refilled, I think that can be done.
Pop and I sure do like your new blog set-up. It sure shows professionalism. Sounds like work is good and also the money will be good. Take care and say hello to Heather.