Saturday, March 25, 2006

The Week Grab-Bag: The V for Very eVentful and Vivacious Version

Wow! What a week! I would apologize for not blogging but I was really busy so, in a way, I'm not sorry. It's now 0120 on Sunday morning and I just got home from work a little less than an hour ago. I'm tired and I'm sore (TTing can do that to you) and I want to go to bed. But. . . I'm gonna blog. Why? Well, for one, because I haven't done so since Sunday. That's bad blogging habits right there. My bad. And another, well, because I just desire to go through my week in my head and relive the excitement, the fun, and the sweat that described me these last five or six days. So, my internet readers, enjoy my week (and for once, it IS chronological!). I know I did. . .

- MONDAY (numero uno!): This was the best day of the week. I left Lancaster around 1015 for THE LB and got down to Heather's apartment around noonish. We went to IN-N-OUT for lunch and then headed back to her place. She unfortunately had to go back to class soon thereafter, but it was ok. I stayed at her apartment and worked on homework (and took a little nap!) until she got back from school later in the afternoon. From there, we went to BUBBA GUMP, a restaurant we have been to (but not recently - the last time was together in September) and really like. I got the fried chicken meal so that Heather could have my leftovers for lunch the next day. I like going down there and making sure she eats well. We left the restaurant (located across from the AQUARIUM) and headed back to her apartment. When we got back, we watched FLIGHTPLAN, starring Jodie Foster. I had made fun of this particular film quite a bit when its trailer hit theatres, but it really surprised me. It was much better than I had anticipated and was not, as I had originally called it, THE FORGOTTEN 2: THE AIRPLANE (in reference to the overhyped Julianne Moore film of a year or so ago). It shocked me, let's put it that way. Grade: (B-) . . . Heather preceded to get ready for bed and I studied for my HISTORY test that was on Tuesday. After she finished getting ready for bed we played Egyptian War like always - it's our game - and then snuggled and chatted until it was time for me to leave. This is always the worst part of any visit, needless to say. Either way, it has to happen, so I headed out and prepared myself for the long journey home. I got home around 0115 or so and went to bed around 0200.

- TUESDAY (day of surprises): I woke up for school around 0830 and got there on time. School is school. I was not confident with my HISTORY test. I told Jaffe that this was my first B on one of his tests and he told me not to say that quite yet :D . . PHILOSOPHY was filled with good, meaningful conversation. COMMUNICATIONS brought the first half (2/3 actually) of GARDEN STATE, the fantastic film starring/written by/directed by Zach Braff (J.D. on SCRUBS). I love this movie! ASTRONOMY is easily forgotten, which may be why I'm struggling in that class. I worked at 1700 as a Host. I saw a new Hostess at the front when I came in and wondered aloud who she was. Apparently she was there to observe/be trained. I saw none other than my name on the TRAINER log saying that I was to train the girl. I decided I would pretty much tell Charlie to shove it, because I was not, in fact, a trainer. Well, when I asked him who would be training Christina, he pointed at me. I reminded him I was not a trainer and he continued to tell me that he needed to send me (probably on April 1) to the certification thing. Cool. The night went by fast and I got outta there around 2130 or so. I left there and headed to SUPER WAL-MART where I bought CHICKEN LITTLE for Caleb and I bought a 2-pack of CAPOTE and IN COLD BLOOD (a 1960's movie about the book that Capote wrote). The reason I bought the 2-pack was that it was the same price as CAPOTE alone. This was a no-brainer. I love good deals! I headed home, greatly anticipating giving Caleb the movie in the morning. I ate some food while I watched last week's THE OFFICE with my dad and then proceeded to bed shortly thereafter. Another fast-moving day.

- WEDNESDAY (V for Vanpool!): I had to do ONE thing all day (Write a short essay for PHILOSOPHY due Thursday) and yet I didn't complete it until 0245 on Thursday morning. Why? Ah, I will now divulge. I woke up at my usual off-day time and puttered around as always. Once I showered and got dressed and stuff, I ended up procrastinating in so many interesting ways, it wasn't even funny. I picked up my taxes. I ran by CINGULAR to ask a technical question (my caller ID has not been working the last couple weeks - I do not approve!). I ate some food. Finally, it came time to meet my guys (Justin and Cy) to head down to ARCLIGHT. We bought tickets (well, I did, but they paid me back) a week or so ago to the 1900 showing of V FOR VENDETTA in the DOME at ARCLIGHT. This is the same theater that Heather and I frequent when we're in L.A. So, we got down there at 1830, leaving us just enough time to scarf down some BAJA FRESH and find our seats before the trailers started. Seated in the front row of the balcony section, we had the best seats in the house (literally!). The movie, in my mind, had great anticipation behind it, so it plenty of room to fall flat on its Guy Fawkes-face. YET, it did not! The movie was fantastic, by far the best film of 2006 thus far. I know it's only March, but this movie will appear on my TOP 10 from 2006 I can guarantee you that (a complete sidenote. . My Top 10 from 2005 was: CRASH – (A+); BATMAN BEGINS – (A+); HUSTLE AND FLOW – (A); BROKEBACK MOUNTAIN (A); WALK THE LINE – (A); CINDERELLA MAN – (A); THE 40-YEAR-OLD VIRGIN – (A); WEDDING CRASHERS – (A); THE WEATHER MAN – (A-); CAPOTE (A-) with KING KONG, JARHEAD, SIN CITY, and THE MATADOR beating down the door with Honorable Mentions). We all enjoyed it and found it quite thought-provoking and very entertaining. Grade: (A-) . . From there we walked next door to AMOEBA MUSIC, the temple of used music. We spent almost an hour in there, all leaving with more than what we came with (the same can't be said for our wallets). Personally, I spent $45 on FIVE (!) cd's and one movie. That's about $7 apiece. That's really good!!! We left there and went to Emily's since her apartment is just about 15 minutes from Hollywood and Vine. We hung out there til about 2330 and then started on our voyage home. After stopping at a CARL'S JR for nourishment, we made it home pretty quickly. I actually pulled into my driveway (or on the street) around 0145. And no, I hadn't forgotten about my essay. I began it then, finishing it around 0300. It turned out pretty good considering the conditions. We'll see what grade I get. . . I can tell you now, my pillow never had looked so welcoming!

- THURSDAY (not enough sleep): I hate school. My phone woke me up around 0800 and I slowly got ready and was at school on time again. We got out tests back in HISTORY and I was correct in my pre-grading assessment: I got a B. This'll be the dropped one probably. I'll see what I can work out. PHILOSOPHY had more fun conversations and we turned in our papers. COMMUNICATIONS saw the end of GARDEN STATE (funny, I liked it more because of the ignornant people trying to figure out the ins and outs of the film - great great film!) and a discussion. ASTRONOMY had to be skipped, because I had to get to work at 1530 to train Christina. She ended up not getting there until 1600 because that's when she thought she was on. Either way, we did classroom stuff until 1715 when it began to get busy. We discovered that the other Hosts had called in, so it would just be us! I ran the board of course and the night went on without incident. I got outta there at 2200 and pretty much went right to sleep.

- FRIDAY: (Two more days to recap!) Yesterday was pretty blah. I woke up late and then did very little until I had to be at work at 1600 (TTing). A usual Friday night saw me getting out of there at 2200, a six-hour shift under my belt. From there, I went to IN-N-OUT to get some food (a 3x3 meal with an extra-large COKE - I was hungry!) and then Cy (also just off work) and I headed to Justin's to hang out. We played an old school wrestling game on PLAYSTATION for a good half hour and then put on a horror film that the two of them had been greatly anticipating: HIGH TENSION (or in its native France - HAUTE TENSION). I had previously stated that it would be terrible and that it would be a waste of time. I was proven o so correct. It was awful, however, we had fun mocking it throughout the entire 90 minutes of teeth-grating horribleness. From there, us Lancaster boys headed home and I hit the hay immediately.

- SATURDAY (today!): I slept in again. I've discovered it's hard not to do so when you get home at really late hours and are exhausted from work and play. Either way, I did my online homework and then watched the first half of the LSU-TEXAS game (Elite Eight already in the Tourney - don't ask my current position!). After that, Aimee and I watched 2 TIVO'd episodes of THE O.C. to catch up. DRAMA!!! An O.C. note: I like Sadie with Ryan. She's way more normal than silly anorexic Marissa. Just an opinion. I got to work at 1700 and a long night ensued. I had a break at 2200 and went to WENDY'S for 3 JR. Cheesburger Deluxes and a Biggie Fry. Good stuff. It was gone very fast. I left work at 0015 and got home about ten minutes later. After checking the usual sites, it was on to blogging while watching FRIENDS and then listening to the GARDEN STATE soundtrack as well as one of my newly purchased cd's: SNOW PATROL (good band). I then went to sleep after typing this sentence and the following few around 0230.

That's my week friends. Going to bed now. I'll try and do better next week, but I'm not sure, as I only have Monday off from work. Business shall ensue. . .

Hope everyone out there is well - - Heather, I miss you!

- - - "Voilà! In view, a humble vaudevillian veteran, cast vicariously as both victim and villain by the vicissitudes of Fate. This visage, no mere veneer of vanity, is it vestige of the vox populi, now vacant, vanished, as the once vital voice of the verisimilitude now venerates what they once vilified. However, this valorous visitation of a by-gone vexation, stands vivified, and has vowed to vanquish these venal and virulent vermin vanguarding vice and vouchsafing the violently vicious and voracious violation of volition. The only verdict is vengeance; a vendetta, held as a votive, not in vain, for the value and veracity of such shall one day vindicate the vigilant and the virtuous. Verily, this vichyssoise of verbiage veers most verbose vis-à-vis an introduction, and so it is my very good honor to meet you and you may call me V."
- - - Awkward-looking but awesome-sounding monologue by V (Hugo Weaving) when we first meet him in V FOR VENDETTA (alliteration rocks!!!)

Night folks,

JUSTIN

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yeah, I really liked V--seen it twice. Very thought-provoking, and enjoyable. Good movie to talk over. I could've told you about High Tension, my roommate watched that a few months ago. I really had a hard time trying to sleep while people were being eviserated on the television. Are you going to see Sheb's Play on the 31? Or is it not a fit in the shedule, or just not something you want to see? Give me a call sometime, we still have a few movies to see.