Monday, March 13, 2006

Apocalypse. . uh. . .Maybe Later

So today was like any other Monday. Slow. Methodical. Homework-filled. Not bad actually. . .

I didn't get out of bed til 1100 or so. Maybe it was earlier. I can't really remember. I started some errands (Credit Union, SQUIRTY'S, Lunch) and was home around 1300. That's when I began APOCALYPSE NOW, the 1979 classic directed by Francis Ford Coppola. It was a long film (2.5 hours) but one that didn't drag on. It was haunting and bordered on brilliant. It wasn't awe-inspiring, but it certainly was a great movie. Since I finished the film, I have been working on my paper (a 5-paragraph essay) about the film's historical importance. I won't share with you my entire paper, but I will give you the introduction to it, which is rumored to be quite good:

Joseph Conrad’s Heart of Darkness is a soul-wrenching novel that peers through the reader directly into his heart. Francis Ford Coppola, the famed producer, screenwriter, and director of The Godfather series, took this haunting classic and moved the events to the Vietnam War in his epic film Apocalypse Now. The film he created is long, chaotic, and altogether horrifying, much like the War represented within it. A life-altering experience for Coppola - he is rumored to have lost over 100 pounds through the sixteen months of filming – resulted in a film that is considered by renowned movie critic Roger Ebert to be one of the greatest films ever made. Coppola’s film is distinguished because of, but not limited to, the performances by the actors, the use of classic literature as a foundation, and the lasting images of its anti-violence stance.

So, yeah. I also talked on the phone with George tonight for about 40 minutes which was pretty cool. We caught up, talked about his FILM class (the same one I took last semester) and also about the NBA and the upcoming playoffs. I also talked to Heather for the same amount of time. No offense, George, but this was a better conversation :D

So now I go to sleep because school begins at 0930. Week 10 begins about. . . now.

- - - "I love the smell of napalm in the morning. . .It smells like. . . Victory."
- - - Lieutenant Colonel Bill Kilgore (Robert Duvall) in APOCALYPSE NOW

Until later,

J-GOTT

No comments: