Monday, March 06, 2006

Party "CRASH"-ers (And other assorted puns)

So it's a Monday night and it's been a couple days since my last update post. Sure, I gave my OSCAR predictions (7 out of 8 in the major categories, 17 out of 24 overall!) yesterday, but what have I been up to??? Honestly, not much. (And more on the OSCARS later) - - -

I worked about 10 hours on Friday (all TT hours) and about 7.5 hours on Saturday. I made pretty good cash, but it all is leaving quickly via my automobile. If you recall from a month or so ago, I rear-ended a NISSAN Armada, leaving that SUV with no memories of the incident and the front of my Jetta with all sorts of problems. Although driveable, it has maintained it's look as a piece of "boat" - - -

Well this morning I took the ol' girl to SQUIRTY'S COLLISION CENTER with the promise of a much better looking version returning to me by the end of the week. If only I hadn't CRASHed. . .

Sunday I went to church with my dad (Mom, Aimee, and Caleb were in San Diego for another dance competition of Aimee's) and then ate at CASITA like usual. Then we headed home. I watched my SUNS come from behind and beat the Dallas Mavericks for their 10th straight win and then pretty much puttered around all afternoon until 1700, when the 78th Annual Academy Awards began (I gave wrong information in my last blog - I thought it started at 1900). I had already started getting ready for my Poker/Oscar party and was just waiting for everyone to show up. I watched the first couple of hours and then everyone started showing up around 1900. Cy, George, Bill, Bill's wife Carolina, and Randy all showed up to play some Poker with yours truly. It was a fun time. Cy got off to an early lead and then expanded that lead when he knocked out both Randy and George on the same hand. Carolina was the next victim of Mr. Serrano and then it was down to the 3 guys. I was short-stacked and went All-In on the first hand of the "Final 3" showdown. Cy called my A-10 Suited with his A-J offsuit, making him the huge favorite. I got 2 spades on the flop, but missed on the turn. I needed a 10 or a spade on the river to stay alive, and I got a beautiful spade that saved everything. From there, I ended up calling a bluff by Cy and knocking him out. Five minutes into the Heads-Up competition between me and Bill, we agreed to split the winnings, and we both left with $30. We had a really good time and I look forward to the renewal of our weekly games.

Now, the OSCARS. Three things in particular that I have to say about the telecast: 1) Jon Stewart (do you think that there are men out there named John Stuart? Just a thought.) did a great job and should be the Host of the show whenever he pleases. He avoided being too political (Chris Rock's failure) and kept us all on our toes with his wit and his improv. I was quite happy that he got rave reviews from actors and critics alike and for that, his performance was a successful one; 2) We were ecstatic when Jack Nicholson (I quote The Sports Guy about Jack: "By the way, is Nicholson ever NOT the coolest guy in the room? Even when he's coming back from the bathroom at Lakers games, the whole place pretty much stops until he goes back to his seat. If you judge somebody's popularity by the number of people who would yelp, "Oh no!" if they found out Celebrity X died, I think Nicholson wins. He gets the most "Oh no!" yelps. I'm convinced.") called out CRASH as the Best Picture. You may recall that I was crossing fingers and toes for the upset and it surely helped and I'm positive that I had an influence :D The film truly deserved to win and I'm proud to have been a supporter of it since way back when it first came out. Congratulations to all the cast, producers, but especially Paul Haggis, the man behind the entire beautiful film; 3) Congratulations also to Three Six Mafia, the guys behind the Oscar-winning song "It's Hard Out Here for a Pimp" from HUSTLE AND FLOW. They were beyond excited when they won and really added a shot of adrenaline into the crowd. Now the second hip-hop/rap winner for Best Song, (Eminem's "Lose Yourself" was the first) don't be surprised to see more of this in the future.

I'll do the Entertainment Preview for March later in the week. I'm all played out - -

Thanks y'all (I just finished watching WALK THE LINE again, sorry)

- - - "I think it just got easier out here for a pimp"

- - - Jon Stewart after Three Six Mafia won for Best Song.

Goodnight, and well, good luck:

JUSTIN

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Boo! Terrible music, the crsh lady should have won. I still don't get what you liked about brokeback, but i still haven't (and won't ) seen it. Anyways, good to see you are still alive...life's kinda rough for me, so i'd appreciate some prayer. See you later, buddy.