Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Slow Down Speedy

So I got a speeding ticket today. . .

It's kind of a long story, but the end result was me getting a ticket when I was a mere mile from school this afternoon. I was pissed, but I kinda had it coming, so I guess I can't be too mad. . .

I was in a rush because I had to get to class to present my MEDIA DECONSTRUCTION project on the role of women sportscasters in the media. Left to my own devices, I turned to what I do best: ramble! So, without further ado, here is another installment of A RAMBLER'S RAMBLING:

A RAMBLER’S RAMBLING – The Women Sportscasters Version

- Women Sportscasters

- Some would argue that is an oxymoron

- Like “jumbo shrimp”

- Or “awfully beautiful”

- And speaking of beauty

- It’s the number one attention-grabber

- For women sportscasters

- Or is it their sports I.Q.

- Either way, women have come a great distance

- Kind of like pioneers

- That is, if pioneers had microphones

- And make-up

- Formerly referred to as “Barbie-on-the-air”

- She now has a much better nickname:

- A Google search reveals the improved pseudonym

- “Women Sportscasters I would bang”

- What progress!

- But I do recall

- When I was a mere shell of a sports fan

- Way back in the day

- The NBA on NBC broadcast

- With Hannah Storm

- Or ESPN’s SportsCenter

- With Robin Roberts

- Or Linda Cohn

- And the MLB Playoffs on FOX

- With Jeanne Zelasko

- These were the more recent pioneers

- But what of the classic “first women”?

- Jane Chastain did play-by-play for CBS in the 60’s

- Jeannie Morris was not allowed into the press box in the 70’s

- Not to report a Vikings/Bears game in Minnesota

- In the winter

- So she reported anyway

- Outside; in a blizzard

- Gayle Gardner, Suzyn Waldman, Gayle Sierens

- They all paved the way

- Some women were hired for their looks

- Others for their knowledge of the game

- Broadcasting companies worked hard at toeing the line

- Who knows their thought processes?

- It’s a man’s game!

- Women don’t even watch!

- There aren’t even any TVs in the kitchen!

- But lo and behold

- The men were wrong. . .

- You see, more women are getting out there

- Onto the sidelines and into the locker rooms

- Keep the towels on, boys!

- And that is all fine and dandy

- If only so they can have an equal opportunity

- You see, sports fans

- The real die-hard ones that actually watch every broadcast

- Yeah we don’t like most of the male commentators

- Because of their ignorance

- And often pointless anecdotes

- “When we spoke with Jimmy last night in the hotel. . .”

- Yeah we get it

- You have tremendous access to the players

- Stop rubbing it in our faces

- And start speaking intelligently

- And that female sideline reporter

- The one who tracked down the coach at halftime

- The coach whose team is down by three touchdowns already

- If you can contribute to the broadcast

- In an absolutely sports related way

- You can wear a burlap bag and report

- It really makes no never-mind to us fans

- We’re really just watching the game only

- Well, and the cheerleaders

- But that’s for another time

- And where are they now?

- What chance do women have nowadays?

- To sit alongside the ex-athletes and “expert analysts”

- Well my advice is this:

- Pick up a mic

- Learn as much as you can about sports

- Know the terminology

- And if you’ve got it, flaunt it

- Because there’s two things right there that I can’t contribute

- And might get you on air before me

- Because what can I possibly flaunt?

- That’s certainly an advantage

- And isn’t that what we are all really looking for

- An edge

- Anything to get us a step ahead of the opposition

- And to where we want to be

- And if that edge is all that fledgling women sportscasters want

- Then we are all in the same boat

- And isn’t that the definition of equality?


Any thoughts???

Hit me up with comments on this one please :)

Thanks and good night!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I REALLY REALLY LIKED IT!

Anonymous said...

wow. that says a lot. all i know about sports is currently the raiders and the chargers are fighting...for last place! hahhaa

Anonymous said...

someone doessnt pay attention to sports.. lol

as of right now... chargers are in second.. and oarkland is in last place out right...