Tuesday, February 13, 2007

Reservations, Racism, and Rebates

So I am regretting that I said I would post tonight, because I'm kinda tired right now.

It's been a long day. I was asleep last night a little after 0100 and was awoken (awakened?) by my evil phone at 0800. I was at school from 0930 (Human Sexuality - great, great, awesome, incredible class!) until 1230 (got out of Journalism early - not much keeping me there). I headed home, ate some leftover pizza, and then went to BEST BUY to make a couple purchases. I had about $17 left on my gift cards but I spent another $40 because of the, well, really good buys that the place offered. I bought the released-today THE DEPARTED, one of the best films of last year (after another partial viewing tonight, I am upgrading the film from a B+ to a solid A), the great documentary SUPER-SIZE ME ($6!), THANK YOU FOR SMOKING (a deal and a half at $10), and then two CDs (Corrine Bailey Rae and Gnarls Barkley!). I was out of there in time to make it back for Sociology class at 1415. . . why I went, I'll never know.

This class is ridiculous. Sure, the teacher just sits there and rambles on and on about racism and how everything in the world is racist (more on that later). But that's not why. The entire grade in that class is based on our attendance/participation, an oral group report, and a 25 page research paper. That's it! No tests (she couldn't - the lectures have no semblance or order) and more ridiculousness besides that. But the most bizarre thing is Prof. Stryker and how everything in her world is apparently racist. Today, the following things were listed as racist:

- Math books
- Apples and oranges
- the film KING KONG (old or new was not specified)
- everyone in the class ("we all believe in white supremacy")
- animal laws

And that's just a sample. Odd. Whatever. . .

I then went to practice. The guys play tomorrow night like I said yesterday. I hope they're ready. . . The girls seemed way too relaxed, but they don't play until Saturday, so I guess that's ok. . .

But tonight was all about arranging my trip to Portland. The Associated Collegiate Press National College Newspaper Convention is being held on March 8-11 at the Marriot in Portland, Oregon and I have been given the opportunity to go. And as Heather said to me when I was thinking about it, "We must take every opportunity at this stage in our life". I agree. So I'm going. The cool thing is that AVC is going to be paying for it :D . . . but not yet. I have to pay up front (which I did) and then I'll get reimbursed about six to eight weeks after I get back. That works for me. . .

So this convention. It's gonna be workshops, classes, keynote speeches, and the like for two straight days. But I'm stoked! I am really looking forward to this chance to "get ahead" of my peers and maybe learn a thing or two about journalism in the process :D

But now I'm really tired and I work at 1000 in the morning. . .

O and if you want to check on Heather, here is a recent update on her MYSPACE BLOG.

Guys playoff game tomorrow night. 1930. Big stuff. I'm announcing. Be there :D

Goodnight - - -

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I read your recap of your racism list & pray you can make it through that class with all of your limbs attached. I guess that's what makes the world interesting -- we're all different, right or wrong -- too bad you won't be able to have an opinion for awhile! Apples - oranges, depends on the type of apple I guess, but I like mine baked with a lot of brown sugar and raisins. I guess that might upset the orange basket :) instead of the apple cart!

I read Heather's blog and I laughed out loud thinking of her wrestling sheep! She's so right with her advise to you -- right now you guys have to take advantage of all the opportunities that come your way. I'm so glad you both support and love each other as much as you do. I'm so proud of both of you. Love you both --

Anonymous said...

I've had a teacher like that. I had an intercultural film class last semester, and the whole thing was about how white people portrayed minorities horribly and everyone's racist. With this kind of teacher, you're pretty much never right and you're unkowingly a racist. My teacher was white, strangely enough...

-Alex