Wednesday, February 21, 2007

Losing, Life Lessons, and Listlessness

As the clock ticked down toward 00:00 in tonight's CIF Quarterfinal matchup between the Number 1 seed Whittier Christian HS and our Desert Christian Lady Knights, I realized something for the first time and it hit me hard:

Basketball season is over.

Yep. The girls miracle season finally ended at the hands of a bigger, rougher, not-much-better team 51-39. Our girls probably played the best game of the year tonight but shots just didn't want to fall (we only scored 13 points in the second half after only trailing by one at halftime) and they got a couple more bounces, calls, and everything else that led to victory. Bummer.

It was sad to see the season come to an end. I really enjoyed being an assistant coach. Like I told Chris on Monday night after bowling, I would not trade all the money I could have made at Johnny Carino's (where I probably would have stayed had this basketball thing come up) for the opportunity that Mr. Thomas gave me. And as I watched my coach in the last huddle of the season (with 1:15 left in the game and our team down by double digits) I realized what attracts me to wanting to be near this man: The word quit does not exist in this man's vocabulary. He will fight to the end of everything and I believe that completely. If I can learn how to do that, I will most assuredly find more favorable results in my life. I took this voluntary opportunity to learn anything I could about basketball and coaching from the man who taught me so much. I ended up learning more about life and how to be a man than about a sport featuring an orange ball. I am ever-grateful for the fact that I have known this man since I was in fifth grade (summer basketball camp ha ha) and that I was able to learn from him. In the many times that I have sat and stared at my apathy with disdain, I look at him and wonder how he gets through it all with an unflinching, never-doubting faith that can never be shaken. It's incredible to have seen this man thank God for kids he didn't have over four years ago. Then I witnessed him gain not one, but two children (one through adoption and one through conception). For years he had faith that he and his wife would be blessed with children. And for years, people probably looked at him like he was crazy. Well, it is actually the rest of us that are crazy. If we all had just a hint of the faith that leads this man to be the man he is, then the world would be an incredible place. Too bad. Either way, I am proud to call the man not only my coach (he will always be "Coach" or "T") and my friend, but a true hero (just scroll down on my MYSPACE profile!) for me. I am ever-thankful that I have grown to know him like I do and I only hope that I get to know him better in the years to come. Much love and thanks to Mr. Devin Thomas!

After saying all that, it's difficult for me to complain about my petty issues (not enough sleep, a lack of Heather, and no desire to do homework). So I won't.

Now that basketball is over, I need to find something else (and fast!) that I love and hook on to it. I love basketball and my involvement in this past season was perfect for me. It got me through three months of time in the snap of a finger. It also preoccupied me from the fact that I have very little money, I rarely see my girlfriend, and I am quite possibly moving out of the house in less than six months! So as you see, I need to find a hobby or something that is going to provide me with blinders so I don't fall into more pity parties regarding my listlessness.

Or.

I need to face my listlessness head-on and I need to find cures for my present difficulties. That's really it. . . I guess only time will tell if I can do just that.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

On a much lighter side, I have some quick hits for you regarding everything under the sun:

- Don't go see GHOST RIDER. Very disappointing. Not even a little bit entertaining (Except for the unintentional comedy throughout the entire film!). Bummer.

Grade: (D+)

- The MVP is back! Steve Nash has scored a total of 27 points and dished out 25 assists in the last two games combined (in around 30 minutes each night). The result: two wins by double digits. We're back baby!

- I edited my BABEL review with a fine-toothed comb and it looks much nicer heading to print. Disregard the poorly written parts from my last post. They got changed :D

- OSCAR preview. . . soon! Before the show (Sunday) for sure! HAHA

- I have my long day tomorrow at school (0930-1850 straight through). Dangit. . .

- I'm trying to work out seeing Heather this weekend. . . I might surprise her Saturday night (shh :D )!

- Phoenix in 10 days. Portland in 14!

Well that's good for now - - -

Have a good Thursday!

No comments: