Sunday, September 17, 2006

The Weekend Grab-Bag:

The Up, Up, and Away Version

Greetings my faithful readers. Sorry for being a little behind on my blogging. I'm trying. I really am. But, you see, it's very hard to hop on the computer and type about your day when you just finished it, especially when it's a busy one. That's why I like these GRAB-BAGS. They're this perfect combination of my days, thoughts, and interests all wrapped up into one post. I don't cheat and post little posts over several days (Cy. . .). I'm ready to go tonight, though. So, here we go!!! (and as always, dear viewers, this is all non-chronological):

- So life is pretty crazy. One of the reasons is because of lame ol' Johnny Carino's. Seriously though, if that job was not so damn profitable to me, then I would have left a long time ago. Everytime I work, even though we are slow, I make around $100 (if you add up my tips and hourly wage). So when I was down to two days, I still made pretty good money (if you again add up everything I make in a month). WELL, one of my fellow TTs quit this past week (luckily it was the one who pissed me off the most and not Chris) and now his days are up for grabs. This week, I got them both so I am now working four days at JC (Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday nights and Sunday during the day). Should be good money for yours truly. . . Despite the money, I really don't like it there. Sure, I love the people I work with (well, most of 'em) but my GM really pushes my buttons like no other. It's ridiculous. I can't wait to leave that awful place. But for now, I'll just work my ass off and get some much-needed dolares. Sounds good to me.

- George came into town late last night (Saturday) and hung around in the Lancaster area until tonight. We were able to hang out for about three hours (a little less, actually) which was really cool. I haven't seen him since the first week of August and won't get to see him again until Halloween night (the Lakers/SUNS game) so it was nice to have even a little bit of time. We got talking about our script (well, to be exact, it's my script, but I've asked him to assist me and he was very willing to do so) and we both seem inspired to begin work on it again. I hope it works out. It's a really great idea! So we ate at Casita and then he headed back to Murrieta. See ya in a month or so bud! . . That gets me thinking.

Hmmm. . .

- INSIGHTFUL INSIGHT: Friends are an interesting thing. I don't talk to George that often (or at least I don't see him that often) and whenever we hang out, it's awesome. It's funny how relationships you have in high school change over time. I had some pretty good friends in high school, but I would vote that I only communicate frequently with three of them (Heather, Cy, and Justin). Others, I only knew a little bit and am now getting to know them better because of common interests and college (Alex, David). Still others I've known for what seems like ages (I'm looking at you Tomas!) and we can always pick up right where we left off whenever we hang out or talk. Then there's people who I am so comfortable with that it doesn't matter how long I've known them, I feel like an open book with them (George, Manny). Then there are my sisters (Chelsea, Mallory) that are always there for either bowling or Coldstone (respectively ha ha) when I need it. And who would I be if I didn't mention my own sister, the too-old, too-good-looking Aimee. The best thing that came out of Heather's trip to Australia was my relationship with mi hermana. We grew closer while Heather was gone because, well, I was home a lot more. Not only do we not fight as much (if at all), we really can make each other laugh. She's a lot like me in that she's witty and even moreso because so often she says something that should not be said (Aimee: you must learn the art of the FILTER!) out loud. I love her to death (what does that even mean?) and would do anything for her (including look over every Geometry lesson she does - which I do). Friends are just that interesting. I have only a few that I would consider my "friends", you know, the ones who will be standing in tuxes when I say "I DO" someday. But I am ever-grateful for the relationships that I have with the countless close-acquaintances that permeate my everyday life. Thanks to all of you!

- Friday (known as THE LB DAY) was awesome as usual. Because of some errands I had to do in town, I didn't arrive into my lady's arms until 1330 or so. We left soon after I got there to shop. Score! It actually was a lot of fun (no one makes me laugh like Heather - no one) and we were very productive. We found her a beautiful black dress at Windsor (she didn't wanna try it on because it was a little pricey - under $100, but close. . .) but I got her to try it on. We both liked it (I mean, how could I not have!) but she was still skeptical about the price. I told her I would make a deal with her: I would buy the dress for her if she bought our movie tickets that night. She agreed (how could she not have!) and we both left the mall happy and content. And she left with a brand new dress :D - - From there, we rushed to the movie theater to go see a showing of THE LAST KISS, the number 5 film on my Movie Preview. I knew I would like it. The only question was how much. Well folks, I'm sticking with the grading scale for now, so here it goes again:
















THE LAST KISS:


Overall Quality - 8
Rewatchability - 7
Purpose-Fulfilling - 9
Acting - 9
Discuss-Worthiness - 10
TOTAL - 43

That's a solid B, ladies and gentleme (an 86%). That sounds about right. I really enjoyed it and it was one of those poignant, purpose-driven films. Zach Braff, my boy, did a fine job as a shmuck, actually, and the supporting cast was quite strong. I especially liked Blythe Danner (of MEET THE PARENTS fame). I thought she did quite an amazing job. The story (written by CRASH-writer and director Paul Haggis) was intriguing and thought-provoking. It also brings up many possible conversation topics and inspires couples like Heather and me to discuss them. It's funny in parts, but it certainly is not a comedy. I am planning on writing a review for this one for the paper (my job as ENTERTAINMENT EDITOR - I have an official title now - includes writing as many movie reviews as possible) so I'll post that when I get something on paper. All you need to know is that THE LAST KISS is a good film and that's it. It's nothing special, but it's a whole lot better than a lot of the other options out there (I'm looking at you THE COVENANT!).

- I got a text while I was at work on Saturday (an eight-hour work day for me) from Heather that said she was coming home! My excitement ended quickly when I discovered why. The hot-air balloon guy had called her mom and asked if we could go on Sunday morning (this morning). She agreed and so we were all set up. Crap. I was really nervous about going up into the air in a little death basket. Either way, after only about four hours of sleep, we arrived at JETHAWKS Stadium at 0630 this morning. We hopped in our wicker casket and set up off the ground. Led by Don (of DON'S EARLY LIGHT - Get it?), a veteran hot air balloonist(?) of over twenty years, we ventured up as high as a half mile (maybe higher, but he didn't tell us). It was actually quite cool, and not nearly as scary as I had thought. It was still nerve-racking at first, and that's what I'm sticking to. It was fun, but dangit I was scared! Go for it thrill-seekers. You'll get a kick out of the Antelope Valley when you're floating lightly above it. . . Here's a photographic memory of us in mid-air:


Cute huh? I think it's a good one, but Heather disagrees. She must think the stubble is no good :D

- I'm sitting at 11-4 right now for the week of picks (football again, sorry) which is great. Tough game tomorrow night, so we'll hope that goes well (Go Pittsburgh!). O, and my SUPER BOWL picks are both 2-0. Just thought it was worth noting. . .

Well my faithful readers, I'm going to bed now. I am beginning another week. Whoosh! And there it goes (or at least it will be like that!). Have a good week! I'll see ya when I see ya (no promises though. . .)!

- - - "You'll never fail if you don't stop trying."
- - - Stephen (Tom Wilkinson) to Michael (Zach Braff) in THE LAST KISS

Until, well, later -

JUSTIN

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Justin,

First I would like to say that it was nice seeing you this weekend...being able to catch up once again...and continuing being open with one another..haha. It's funny how you mention relationships that develop and i completely agree with you. The fact that i can open up to you with little inhibition is amazing and I appreciate that...despite how long we have known each other. I definitely wouldn't have predicted this 3 or 4 years ago, but im glad we've grown to be friends.

I also wanted to say thanks for letting me be part of this script writing process (and i do mean process...lol). I don't know if i ever told you my appreciation for you sharing with me your creative idea. I desperately hope we can stay dedicated to it...i'm gonna try my best because I think what you have here gold. LIFE 101 here we come!!!

Cy said...

George, start up a blog.

Anonymous said...

How do you start up a blog anyway? Oh, and I guess knowing you since 5th grade does constitute as "forever."

Cy said...

Tom, you should definitely start a blog. Moreover, we should hang out, so i can help you start one.