Saturday, February 02, 2008

Ass of the Week 2

Well, here we are again. It's Saturday and it's time again for my brand new column (how long is something new, by the way?) entitled the "Ass of the Week." Last week's edition saw me rip John Gibson of Fox News fame a new one, but it's not like more people hadn't already done so. That was a little bit obvious, I would say. But beyond that, it was really enjoyable to do (it's always nice to go off on someone you not only don't know but don't like based on their just plain awful actions) and I got some cool feedback from people I had no idea even read this thing. So I must continue on with the idea, seeing that it is, as previously mentioned, Saturday once more.

This week's was a little bit more difficult to come up with, to be honest. And I probably would have just searched the news archives on any news-gathering website for some ignorant individual who mouthed off this week had I not experienced something tonight that was not only life-changing for some and thought-provoking for all, but frustratingly upsetting for me. . .

So here we go:

This week's "Ass of the Week" is whoever is responsible for this group to feel any pain:



And especially the kind of pain that I learned about this evening. Starting this past Wednesday at the Desert Vineyard Christian Fellowship in Lancaster (it's the church that my parents attend weekly and when I actually go, it's where I go as well) and going through this coming Monday, WORLD VISION's "Step Into Africa" Experience brought the tragedy of AIDS to the forefront of the thoughts of Southern Californians. The way it works is that you are outfitted with small iPod (Heather and I debated whether or not this "personal audio device" was of the Shuffle or Nano variety) and a set of headphones where an African woman narrates a story to you about a child affected in some way by AIDS. The story is told as if you are the child and are walking in their footsteps, which you do, in a way, as you enter little rooms decorated to look like the homes and surroundings of these native Africans.

And it's heartbreaking. The mere thought of the powerlessness that we do have (because even if we do the whole "Support a Child" thing, there are millions who die every year that cannot be helped) is almost more frustrating than the stupid teenagers who were acting as they are defined (they were the runners-up this week - these kids were distracting, annoying, and just plain rude, which is really not cool when it comes to something so potentially impacting, like this event).

And as Heather and I headed back to our warm place of shelter for the evening (in this case, my house) in my comfortable new car, we discussed the things we had just heard, seen, and experienced. Heather was more affected like my sister and mom were (both were able to take part earlier this week) in that they were saddened to the point of tears, for which the World Vision people are perfectly prepared for, thanks to the Kleenex boxes lining the wall under the pictures of the hundreds of hungry children. And yes, it is sad. Devastatingly so, in fact. But for me, the response I had was of pure anger.

Heather made an interesting comment on the way home. She said "It's just the cards that they were dealt." And she could not be more right. These kids (and their parents, for that matter - and their parent's parents, and so on) have been dealt the shittiest of shit hands (think worse than seven-deuce off-suit). So my problem is a) Why them? and b) Why at all?

I understand the world is a fallen and sin-filled place. That's what I'm told and it's clear that there is plenty of evil running around the world today. But the thought of kids like this:



getting intentionally dealt hands of a life filled with AIDS-stricken homes; hunger-filled days upon days; a complete lack of safety (the girl whose story I heard had to hide in fear since another young girl about the age of 10 had been kidnapped and subsequently raped every day for an entire month!); and eventually a death that if not physically painful, is certainly emotionally dreadful, just plain pisses me off. It's true that not nearly enough effort can go to solve the problems that AIDS has brought to the far reaches of this giant world. The U.S. alone pledges over $10 billion to aide groups like World Vision to try anything to get a step up on this tragic disease.

And I, The Rambler (if you will), am left with this empty feeling inside of weakness and rage. I don't frickin' understand how kids like that can live such a (I'm sorry) pointless life. They are born into starvation and disease-ridden families. They watch their siblings and parents suffer through some sort of illness, if not deal with it themselves. Then, if they are fortunate enough to make it to a child-rearing age, they themselves get to have children who are more than likely to contract the AIDS virus as well. And then they are told to have faith that a "Shepherd" is watching over them and that God protects them. And they believe. Some, at least. And that makes them much better individuals than me. . .

And maybe that's why I struggle so badly with this. I have been getting more and more upset each week at work because I am making less at the MW than I would have been at the FL, even though I was told specifically that I could potentially make TWICE as much as I made previously, but certainly more, in either case. Well for six straight weeks, I have made less. And it's not me. My stats are great and I tackle each sale with the same aggressiveness as the last. But we don't get customers. I was at work on Friday for nearly 8 hours and sold one scarf. . . That's it! So you could see my frustration. . . And of course I bitch and complain about it (more to myself than anyone else) and can't figure out how I'm going to get by with a measly $250-$300 a week. Flash over to this kid I just heard about whose entire family survives on $1 a day! Maybe I should evaluate myself before I go calling a higher power an Ass. . .

And I've thought of that, of course. Have been for some time, actually. But I'm not in a place right now to watch disasters like Hurricane Katrina and hear about children like the young girl who had to watch her mother die of AIDS and be without both parents at the age of 11 and turn and worship a gracious and loving God. Because it just doesn't seem fair. And life's not fair. I get that. But I have too much and I complain. And I don't have that much, actually. So take what you will from that. . .

So who is the "Ass of the Week" this week? I guess it's a toss-up from me and it's up to you to decide who it is for you. It could be me, in fact - an almost 21-year-old college student with a whole life ahead who wants to shake his fist at God for all the wrong in the world. It could be that God, who allows these things to happen for reasons that I'm not sure we will ever understand. Or maybe it's just the plain evil in the world, that without which we may never be able to see the infinite wonders of God and all the blessings that He delivers. . . or so I'm told.

Sorry for the downer this evening - just wanted to get some stuff off my chest. . .

. . . . . .

And on a completely random note:

Super Bowl prediction:

New England Patriots: 34
New York Giants: 21

. . . . . .

Enjoy your Super Bowl Sunday everyone!!!!!!

And thanks for reading as always :)

Until later,

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

This really touched me...

Aimee

Anonymous said...

I enjoy your ramblings- they seem to be honest ramblings. One day, when you see the Father as the One who has more compassion for His creation than we do, and who weeps for their suffering more than we can imagine, and desires things on earth to be different than they are much more than we do, life will finally begin to make sense.

Anonymous said...

I went to that exhibit yesterday (I went through Emmanuel's story), and I thought the same things you did. I wish I could understand better why God allows these things to happen. I mean, it makes me realize how tiny my own personal problems are (and how blessed I am)...but does it really have to be through things as bad as that?

Hmm..would you say that this would be a form of testing our faith and trust in God as well?

Anonymous said...

Who are we to question God. He gives us many choices in this life which will affect us doing our whole life time. World Vision is a worthy organization, I have given to them for many years. This is a sinful world that we live in, and all people will have to suffer for a few. These people in Africa need more than our money to help them in this situation. They need the Word of God in their daily living.