Sunday, February 03, 2008

Super Bowl XLII: The Live Blog

This is my second go-around at the live blog, with my first being the live blog during last year's Oscars telecast, which was met with quite a nice reception, so here we go again, this time as the Super Bowl captures the attention of millions across the world.

So join with me as I enjoy the game, (which I predicted to result in a Patriots victory last night - - but really, who isn't picking the Pats!?!?) - - I hope I can help you enjoy it more!

And away we go (keep refreshing for constant updates!):

3:03 pm - For the record, I can't stand Joe Buck. My friend Joseph and I could broadcast this one with much more panache than Mr. Buck there. In the words of Joseph, "Stick with the St. Louis Cardinals, Joe." Indeed.

3:05 pm - I'm surprised that Troy Aikman can still carry on a conversation, let alone hold his head up after all of his concussions. And of course, that doesn't affect his decision to broadcast next to Buck. . . o no, he really enjoys that. . .

3:07 pm - The first set of commercials, kinda. The real big money spots happen after kickoff, but it's still exciting to see what the ad-wizards out there have in store for us. . . If that commercial where the animals jump in the car and start singing comes on more than 3 times, I just might turn the whole thing off!

3:10 pm - American Idol now has instruments! That just might get me back to watching the show. But not really. . .

3:11 pm - I like Eli Manning. He's a good quarterback (some of the time, at least) and a nice guy, based on his personality from his many commercials with big brother Peyton. Too bad Peyton is better. And the team he is about to lose to, yeah, they are pretty darn good too. . .

3:12 pm - The Giants just came out to Kanye West's "Stronger," which is a good choice actually. The Pats should come out to Queen's "We Are the Champions."

3:13 pm - A little Ozzy instead, huh? That works for me. . . But what exactly does the "Crazy Train" refer to for the Patriots. . .

3:15 pm - This VANTAGE POINT movie looks inventive, if nothing else. I'll probably go with Heather, who is infatuated with Mr. Matthew Fox, of LOST fame. Apparently the scraggly good guy (his character, at least) is attractive. On an unrelated note, I'm growing out my chin hair. . .

3:17 pm - These SYNC commercials are the best! My favorite is when the lady walks into the glass doors though. Nothing better than coffee going everywhere!

3:18 pm - Nice to see that Tom Coughlin's face looks better than it did last week. Man, I thought he would have permanent frostbite after that game in Green Bay! . . Keep your fingers crossed for Arizona's own, Jordin Sparks. Just don't say the wrong line. . . She's got a good voice, that one.

3:21 pm - And. . . goosebumps

3:23 pm - It's nice to see Owen Wilson back up and moving after the whole attempted suicide thing a few months ago. . . but not in that P.O.S. movie. Come on Owen!

3:25 pm - The game is gonna be in the dome exclusively. Now it's really over. The Pats are the new "Greatest Show on Turf." I wouldn't want to defend Randy Moss on any surface, let alone turf. . . Those are some great 49ers right there. That is the reason why I grew up a Niners fan. But once Rice retired, that was it. He is the greatest. No questions.

3:27 pm - The Giants won the toss. That will be their last victory of the year.

3:28 pm - Looks like my favorite show HOUSE is gonna be awesome tonight. Too bad I'm an episode behind on my TIVO. . . Hmmm. . . decisions decisions

3:32 pm - First play will be a run up the middle. . . and I'm right.

3:33 pm - I was concerned about Eli's first pass. But that was a good one. It's easier when Plaxico Burress is your receiver - the guy is huge!

3:36 pm - I said Patriots 34, Giants 21 before the game. I'm sticking by it, but I wouldn't be surprised if it's a bit more high-scoring. . .

3:37 pm - Fire-breathing commercial gets an early lead on best commercial of the night. . . and Audi and their beautiful sports car? Well, amazing car. Not so good commercial (really? a Godfather reference?)

3:39 pm - First HUGE play of the game with this 3rd and short. . . I'm thinking Jacobs running up the middle. . . I was wrong, it was to Bradshaw. Either way, the Giants are running a nice drive here. I still think it ends with a field goal. . .

3:44 pm - Buck just said something that the Giants just want to keep the ball away from Brady. That's too defensive of a game plan, in my opinion. You have to go for the TD as well as keep him off the field. And now they have to settle for a field goal. . . Giants 3, Pats 0. Here we go!

3:47 pm - Pepsi is on its way to worst commercial of the night with the "What is Love?" one (is Chris Kattan supposed to be the celebrity in that one? Or is it LL Cool J?).

3:48 pm - Just what Tom Brady needs: good field position.

3:49 pm - Well done, Bud Light (the "Wine Party" commercial). And if it was Under Armour's intention to scare the crap out of us, then they did a good job.

3:51 pm - I'm rooting for the Patriots. I want to see history made here tonight. But I really like that Steve Spagnuolo, the defensive coordinator for the Giants. I hope he gets a good head coaching job over the next season or two.

3:54 pm - They have completely overkilled the Brady-ankle injury thing. He's playing. He's fine. Leave him alone. . .

3:58 pm - That penalty will come back to bite the Giants. They would have had a stop there and it would have been just a tie game going into the second quarter. . . Instead, the Pats have 2nd and goal on the 1-yard line as we begin the second. End of the first quarter now - Giants 3, Patriots 0. But not for long. . .

4:02 pm - And once the game is over, don't forget it's almost SUPER TUESDAY!!! I'm leaning more towards Barack Obama every day actually. . .

4:03 pm - See? Not long at all. . . Pats 7, Giants 3. O and this WANTED movie? Yeah, it is gonna be freakin' awesome!!!

4:04 pm - Good call Danica. You think they made life difficult for you in the car racing world because you were a girl. Yeah, the whole "Exposure" thing with Godaddy? Not gonna help. . .

4:06 pm - And there are several great commercials!!! FedEx (scary carrier pigeons), Cars.com ("Ring of Fire"), and Tide ("The Talking Stain"). Well done to you all. . .

4:09 pm - Anyone betting against Jim Carrey as one of the luckier men in the world? Actually, now that I think about it, I'm gonna go with Tom Brady. . .

4:10 pm - Here comes another Giants field goal. . .

4:12 pm - There's the first obligatory sight of big brother Peyton. You know he wishes it was him out there, thus sayeth my father.

4:13 pm - See, I was wrong. No field goal. Just an interception that was not Eli's fault. Bummer.

4:15 pm - Budweiser played their cards right with a "Rocky"-inspired commercial, and then we got our first TV spot for this summer's to-be blockbuster IRON MAN. One word: HellYeah!!! (You say them together when you are as excited as I am!)

4:17 pm - Surprising call on the 3rd and 1 by the Pats. I would have preferred a 4-wide receiver set with a throw of some kind. But I'm also not paid to make decisions, so there's that. Giants ball near their own 40. Let's see how Eli reacts. . .

4:20 pm - Funny Toyota Corolla ad (the "Badger" one) as well as a funny TV spot for this spring's LEATHERHEADS, which I mentioned in my movie preview from a couple weeks ago. Smart placement there, seeing that it's a football-central movie and all. . .

4:22 pm - Buck just said that him and Aikman aren't the best announcers around. Finally, something out of Buck's mouth that isn't complete nonsense. . .

4:23 pm - Tough series for the Giants. Without a TD on that first possession and a couple letdowns (the interception in the red zone, a terrible drive that went for -6 yards), the Giants should be careful here. . . Watch out for Moss going deep on this drive. . .

4:25 pm - More bad commercials!!! Just what we spent millions of dollars on! Careerbuilder.com (the heart quitting), some sort of Life Water or something (the "Thriller" dancing lizards, etc.). It's just crazy the type of stuff that gets on television. . .

4:27 pm - Wow. . . that Giants defense showed up right there. That was impressive.

4:30 pm - As soon as I saw Carlos Mencia, I had to simultaneously bite my tongue and push every throwable object away from me so I didn't hurl it at the TV. O, yeah, I can't stand him. . .

4:33 pm - Here comes another Giants field goal. . .

4:35 pm - I don't get how this is a half of football that Giants can be happy with. I mean, I kind of understand. But are they winning? Is there intention in this game to play close with the Patriots, or is it to win?

4:38 pm - Just as a warning, I will be taking off the live blog during halftime. These last two minutes are gonna produce some excitement, I have a feeling, so I'll stick around til then. But as soon as Tom Petty shows up, I'm done blogging. . .

4:40 pm - Good ads this time around. Planters showed some guts with that unattractive woman getting guys to make fools of themselves (physical humor is easy) and the Fave Five with Charles Barkley making me laugh like always (Except when he is saying bad things about my SUNS). Pepsi and Justin Timberlake is always a good combo as well. As for that NARNIA movie: Meh. The first one was pretty underwhelming and I probably won't be seeing this one in theaters at all. . .

4:45 pm - Huge first down. . . But you knew that. . .

4:47 pm - I'm gonna save all of my analysis once the half ends, but Brady is getting roughed up and that is never a good thing if you are the Patriots.

4:49 pm - That was pure New England Patriots football right there. They will score on this drive. . .

4:50 pm - Maybe not. . .

4:54 pm - And that's the half. Patriots 7, Giants 3. I gotta give it up to Steve Spagnuolo and the way he prepared his defense. They seem extremely ready for the long haul of the Super Bowl and they are certainly getting in Brady's grill nonstop. I don't think that the Pats should be concerned just yet, though. They get the ball first in the second half and a score there makes it potentially a two-possession game. I still like the Pats to win by a couple scores, but the confidence level has certainly dropped. Enjoy Tom Petty and I will go enjoy some food from the refrigerator. See you in a little bit!!!

5:23 pm - And. . . we're back. A couple notes about halftime: 1) Tom Petty is old. And is that really what we want? Apparently! Consider some of the most recent musical guests during the halftime shows of the past few Super Bowls: U2, Prince, Aerosmith, and the Rolling Stones. It sure seems like we like to see old guys coming back to play songs that were popular back in the days of people like my friend Manny and other late twenty-somethings (there's your shout out, sir!) or even before that! 2) After some more thinking, I'm even more sure that the Pats come out and put up at least 21 points before the game ends. The Giants will continue to struggle on offense and may not break single figures. I'm going with 24-9 as my new final. 3) I'm fed up with Joe Buck. Just one more half. . .

5:29 pm - All Brady needs is a little bit more time. The more time he has to throw the ball, the more he will begin to pick apart the Giants' secondary. . .

5:32 pm - I like those Cars.com commercials with the whole "Plan B" thing. On the other hand, I hate those Salesgenie.com ones. Really? Chinese panda bears selling bamboo? And don't get me started on Shaq's ad with Vitamin water. If you can't step foot on the court, you should not be able to do ads, especially ones that have you horse racing, or at least pretending to do so. And even if you weren't hurt, you are still not as big of a name as you once were. . . sorry

5:36 pm - Cavemen humor is still not funny. Neither is Carmen Electra (pretty? Yeah. Funny? Um, no). And if I have the choice between swerving in the road and running over Richard Simmons, well, let's just say there's a reason that I'm not the driver in that commercial. . .

5:38 pm - Another huge break for the Patriots! Wow, what a challenge!!!

5:39 pm - Is anyone really going to go on Myspace to re-watch commercials? I think not only has the quality gone down in them across the board, but really the excitement over them has dropped as well. With internet advertising being as big as it is, I don't think that it's worth all of the money that these companies pay for these ad spaces.

5:41 pm - That was the biggest play of the game so far (the Kevin Faulk reception for the first down on 3rd and 13). I actually yelled out loud when he made it over that digitalized yellow line!

5:43 pm - I'm not sure about that call to go for it on the 4th down. It would have been a 49-yard field goal which is long, but not too long for Gostkowski, I think. But again, I'm not the one getting paid for that decision. . .

5:46 pm - WALL*E is going to be absolutely amazing. We're talking RATATOUILLE amazing. And that's pretty, well, amazing!

5:47 pm - Having your knee reconstructed is not something that sounds good. At all.

5:50 pm - I like seeing the Giants going for that TD there. It shows they see a chance to actually win this thing and that they want it. So far, I've only seen that desire in the defense.

5:52 pm - Another missed opportunity for the Giants. Until they can get a good drive going, I don't like their chances. And I don't like our chances of seeing an exciting game, as we are just a couple minutes away from going into the fourth quarter of the Super Bowl with a score of 7-3!

5:53 pm - No, I'm not interested in JUMPER, and no, the E*Trade commercial with the baby talking with a man's voice was not funny at all. Bud Light continues its hit-and-miss night with another funny ad featuring a flying man getting sucked into the airplane turbines. Again, physical humor like that cant miss. However, I have yet to laugh out loud at any of these, so it's still not a good night commercial-wise. . .

5:55 pm - I just wanted to take a second and congratulate Steve Spagnuolo on his new job as the Washington Redskins head coach. . .

5:57 pm - A box of bananas was reportedly taken to the Giants locker room at halftime and then to their bench now. This is considered investigative sports reporting, by the way. Aren't we excited that Pam Oliver and Chris Meyers are our sideline reporters for tonight's game?

6:00 pm - Wow. This has to be the most unbelievable score ever! Patriots 7, Giants 3 after three quarters!!! This fourth quarter is either going to be extremely exciting or extremely boring. Either way it's going to be EXTREME! (A little Harold and Kumar humor for those of you who like that sort of thing. . .)

6:04 pm - I still don't understand these Propositions (94-97) about the Indian gambling or whatever. At all. Except that one side is supposed to be "greedy". . . Right, like that clears thing up!

6:06 pm - I had Stewie as the prohibitive favorite to get that Coke balloon. Then the underdog. . . no not Underdog. . . Charlie Brown came out of nowhere and picked up the victory!!!

6:08 pm - There's your big play. Wow. . . But even still, here comes another Giants field goal.

6:10 pm - How many times are they gonna show Peyton up there? Leave the man alone!

6:11 pm - Giants 10, Patriots 7. Just unbelievable. . . I'm still not worried for the Pats, but now you have to score (obviously) and that hasn't happened since quarter two. But the Pats aren't the best scoring team of all-time for nothing. . .

6:13 pm - Kudos to both James Carville and Bill Frist for participating in that Coke commercial. Good stuff all around. . .

6:15 pm - Can we all just agree that Adam Sandler is no longer funny. . . thanks.

6:19 pm - Another turnover on downs for the Pats. Just shocking. . .

6:20 pm - Babies speaking with an adult voice has not been funny since Adam Sandler made a really funny movie. That would be The Waterboy. . . and actually, it wasn't funny then either. I just thought I'd slam Sandler one more time. . .

6:23 pm - Nine minutes left and the Giants are up by a field goal and have the ball. No one saw this coming.

6:25 pm - That tackle by Rodney Harrison just might end up being the biggest play of the entire game if the Patriots are able to score here on this drive.

6:27 pm - So that SEMI-PRO movie with Will Ferrell seems to be ANCHORMAN: THE BASKETBALL VERSION. Which is fine by me. ..

6:28 pm - Who could possibly be the MVP of this game? Can the Giants defense get it collectively? Can it be Steve Spagnuolo? Of course, if Mr. Brady there orchestrates a comeback then we all know who gets the trophy. . .

6:30 pm - I wonder if the Pats wish that they had kicked that field goal earlier on that 4th and 13???

6:32 pm - I'm telling you, it's all about time! Give Tom Brady an extra second to find his receiver and you will lose. That's what is happening on this drive. . .

6:34 pm - You had to know this was coming. . . the Giants D is good, great even! But even the greatest get tired. . .

6:38 pm - A TD here would be huge, of course, but you have to make sure a FG is possible at least. Be careful, if you're Tom Brady. . .

6:39 pm - There it is! You KNEW it was coming!!! He was going to Moss all the way!

6:42 pm - That's a football hit!!!

6:44 pm - I just don't want to see Eli throw an interception. . . a turnover on downs or a fumble by a receiver. Just no pick Eli!

6:45 pm - There's the two-minute warning. Pats 14, Giants 10. Here. . . we. . . go!!!!

6:46 pm - Amp (an energy drink of some sort I guess) worked it with that fat man dancing commercial. You can never go wrong with fat men dancing! And kudos to Big Ben, the quarterback of the Pittsburgh Steelers, for singing solo on an American Idol ad. Good stuff.

6:47 pm - Huge huge fourth down. . . run up the middle, I say. . . yep, it was.

6:49 pm - Eli better be careful if he decides to do that again. . . slide earlier, sir!

6:51 pm - I don't think they can score a TD here. Not against this team.

6:52 pm - If the Giants DO win this game, that will go down as one of the greatest plays in the history of the Super Bowl. . . simply amazing, young Manning.

6:55 pm - Heart pounding. . .

6:56 pm - Unbelievable. . .




6:57 pm - Keep in mind that the Pats have all three timeouts left and only need a field goal. Just a thought. . .

7:00 pm - That was the entire game in one play. Brady pressured and goes down. That's what has been the difference tonight. . .

7:03 pm - This is it. . .

7:04 pm - Wow. . . The Giants actually did it!!! Hey, hats off to them. They played a great defensive game and did just enough on the offensive end to warrant them a victory. Congratulations to the New York Football Giants! You are the winner of Super Bowl 42!

7:05 pm - And now, four hours (almost exactly) from the moment this all began, the Live Blog from Super Bowl XLII is absolutely done. Give me a hand, huh? But either way, the NFL season is officially over and will be until Labor Day. And that means only one thing, since we know that Spring Training isn't for another couple months. . .

IT'S ALL ABOUT THE NBA!!!

And with that, I leave you for the night. Hope you enjoyed the game and the live blog, which I hope to do again if the Academy Awards happen later this month. Please take the time as well to scroll down and read my brand new "Ass of the Week" which I posted last night and comments are greatly appreciated as always!

Thanks as always for joining me here at A RAMBLER'S RAMBLING. And take care!

Until later,

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

And now, it's time to watch the lakers make their run to the 'chip with Pau (not Paul)

haha!!