Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Every ONCE in Awhile

Three things right off the top:

1) Yes, things have started to get busy for me and no, that's not the reason I haven't been posting. More often than not, it's because I get to the end of the night and just don't feel like putting my fingers to the keyboard. Sue me.

2) I know what you're already thinking, and no, this post will not mention my beloved PHOENIX SUNS beyond the following statement: We're fine. Don't agree with me? That's just ok with me. I'm a die-hard and you're not. Again, sue me.

3) Please don't sue me. I'm an engaged college student doing my best to just get by.

- - - Ok, so now that that is out of the way - - -

I'm just gonna fly through my updates as quick as I can, mostly because it's getting pretty close to the end of the night. And you know what that means :)

And away we go. . .

- I watched most of the Oscars on Sunday night. It was not as necessary for me to follow as closely as I did last year (you remember the running diary, right?) because I had to write two articles for the AVC Examiner the day after the broadcast. And I did. But this year, it was strictly pleasure and my hope that NO COUNTRY FOR OLD MEN and, more importantly, the Coen Brothers left the show victorious. And they did. But it was three moments in particular that had nothing to do with NO COUNTRY or the Coens that actually, in all honesty, made yours truly tear up. One was of course the inclusion of Heath Ledger at the end of the classic In Memoriam montage. It still gets to me that he's gone. The second was the performance by Glen Hansard and Marketa Irglova of their song "Falling Slowly" from the brilliant film ONCE. That performance can be seen here:



And then the third was the absolute best part of the show. By now I'm sure you have heard that they won the Best Song award at the Oscars and then Hansard gave one of the most humble acceptance speeches ever. But it was the moment when Irglova was not allowed to speak because the music guy played her off the stage that it got sad. How could they do that, right? Well a few moments passed and then a commercial happened. Then Jon Stewart did something that the Academy has now taken down from Youtube. So I'll just explain what you probably already know. He brought out Irglova to have her moment instead of riffing on something that he had pre-planned. And then she brought the heart just like her comrade and proved that people who love what they do and that work hard at it do win some of the time. And that, my friends, is what it is all about! O, and go rent ONCE. It's amazing!

But you knew that. . .

- School has been going well and now it is starting to roll even quicker now. Had a test today and got at the very least a B but probably an A. Have another one Thursday. It's school alright. . .

- I had a $1500 sale today at work and now have $3000 for the week after only two days. I still have three more work days this week and I'm gunning for my best week ever. Wish me luck!

- Heather and I went and saw DEFINITELY, MAYBE last weekend and it was actually quite good. Ryan Reynolds is a great talent who I am glad to see getting away from the likes of VAN WILDER. He has a bright future. Great cast all-around and I'm glad that romantic comedies are getting wittier and more guy-friendly. Good stuff. (GRADE: B)

- I saw this online on a Myspace that asked me to be their friend. It just makes me warm all over:




. . . I love it . . .

- I just finished going through the whole series of STUDIO 60 ON THE SUNSET STRIP again. It's just brilliant.

- I will post again this week (before March begins) and I do know that I haven't posted an "Ass of the Week" column in some time, but I'm gonna get all of that up soon. I'm trying. Work with me here. . .

O and the more comments I get, the more I post. So if you like reading my thoughts, my concerns, my plans, and most importantly, my RAMBLINGS, then give a little click click to the comments button at the bottom of this post. . . Just a thought. . .

Thanks as always - - -

Until later - - -

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Don't let Mr. Rondeau see that =)