Sunday, June 03, 2007

The Weekend Grab-Bag:
The Things That Suck Version

As much fun as it has been being off of school (and believe me, it has been FANTASTIC not to have to turn anything into any type of teacher!) there are a few things that are irking me. And I just have to let you know about each of them. . .

So here we go, with another installment of the GRAB-BAG series that runs back o so far (by the way, the two year anniversary of A RAMBLER'S RAMBLING is in just two months and I can't believe it!).

So enjoy the as-always non-chronological goodness:

- In ALL honesty, one thing that everyone can agree on as sucking is diarrhea. And in ALL honesty, I have been suffering from said terrible problem the last two days. Not that you really needed to know that, but you gotta KNOW that it sucks. Seriously, why is it that the waste product feels the need to rush out so damn fast? Does it really desire to go from inside me to outside of me in such a hurry that it does not get to know my intestines even a little? Seriously guys, you should meet. Exchange pleasantries. Tell life stories. Whatever. Just hang out a bit longer and maybe band together before you decide to depart from me next time, ok? Thanks.

- Reason Number 86 why my faith in the goodness of anything around here exists: My ever-dancing sister Aimee was at dance practice last week and did a move resulting in her rolling her ankle. Turns out, after an X-ray, that she fractured a bone in her foot and she has to be fitted for one of those walking boot things tomorrow. Not only is her year-end pageant in four weeks (which she will possibly miss - - I think she should try to dance on it that week and see if she can go - she worked too hard all year to just not be able to participate) but she was going to take summer school dance classes at AVC and those begin in just two weeks. It's just ridiculous. The last person on this Earth that deserves to miss out on her passion is my sister. She works too damn hard and wants so much to be a dancer (plus, she is REALLY good!) that I have had to watch her fight back tears all weekend whenever the topic is brought up. Meanwhile, she crutches around the house and is basically playing the waiting game. As a dancer, she was bound to get this injury (or a similar one), but why now? It's just not right, and no one can convince me othewise.

- Death. It sucks. Heather's grandmother Shirley unfortunately passed away last Sunday. I only met her five times (or so) but she was such a wonderful woman. I grew to love her and her fantastic personality after the first lunch I had with her. I was a junior in high school and in over my head in my relationship with Heather. We went to Olive Garden with both Shirley and her husband Bill and the first question I was asked once we sat down was "So what do you want to do with your future?" Bill was already grilling me and I was scared shitless (too bad I cant have that condition now. . .). At the time (and seriously, name me a HS junior who knows exactly what he or she wants to do!) I wanted to be a film critic and so I went with that. Mistake #1. I was told how I should attempt more secure employment opportunities and the like. Bill was looking out for me (and subsequently, his granddaughter) but was also being kinda scary. . . But I remember Shirley smiling at me from across the table and even giving me a wink or two to let me know it was going to be ok and that I was doing ok. . . I hugged her goodbye that day and thanked her again for lunch. She smiled and said anytime and I felt like I had been victorious that day. Not because I had somehow won her gparents over or anything, but because I had met a phenomenal woman. Over the course of our three years together (now almost 3 1/2. . . wow!) we were able to to see them occasionally, but Shirley had been sick the last six to eight months off and on and was the type of lady who had to have everything perfect for a guest to see her or her house. Thus, I did not get to see her. I believe the last time I saw her was after Heather returned from Australia last August. . . But I'm not sure. I had the chance to see her in the hospital the week before she passed away but I couldn't do it. I couldn't stand the thought of seeing this strong, independent woman weak and living through machines. So I passed. Do I regret it? Kinda. But not really. I would rather think of Shirley as the winking, strong, wonderful woman that she was and be thankful for the few meetings that we had. So I guess that makes me a lucky son-of-a-gun. I met Shirley Ann Acuff. And that was an honor.

Shirley Ann Acuff: 11/20/28 - 5/27/07






















- Movies that aren't KNOCKED UP. Well, I don't know about that exactly, but what I do know is that the aforementioned movie is freakin' awesome. Maybe I'll write a formal review (just to keep my writing skills sharp) later on this week, but for now, just know that it is not only ridiculously funny, but it is also very sweet and endearing. . . Another success for Judd Apatow and Company. . .

(Grade: A)

- Distance. Heather's last finals are tomorrow, but it doesn't really matter. She lives in Pomona now, and even if we are able to somehow see each other more than once a week because we are both out of school, it will be under not only quick (not always, but often) but gas-guzzling circumstances (being 90 miles apart is a bit of a problem for cars too). Bleh. I hate being so far apart. . . Summer 2009 is only two years away, but you know what, it is also two freakin' years away! It's so far, yet so close. . .

Damn.

- The NBA Playoffs. I'm so fed up with how the playoffs played out. Not only are the evil San Antonio Spurs in the Finals (they coasted against the Jazz of course) but the god-awful Cleveland Cavaliers are their opponents. My Phoenix Suns would have destroyed the Cavs (just like the Spurs are going to do) and it just means that its another wasted opportunity to bring a championship back to the desert. . . And now, we lost an assistant coach to a head coaching position in Memphis (good for Iavaroni, though) and are also ready to hire Steve Kerr as our new General Manager (replacing Head Coach Mike D'Antoni so he can focus on coaching). I don't know. . . I just have no idea what is going to play out this summer in the NBA. So many players are going to be wearing new colors next year, and it is going to be VERY interesting how it all ends up going down. . . More to come at a later date on all of this.

But that's it for right now - - -

Hope your Monday is better than a usual one (I'm speculating, of course). . .

No comments: