Wednesday, January 10, 2007

The Champ Is Here

Good evening internet perusers! Welcome yet again to my humble abode on the great world wide web. It's been a couple days, so I'll bring you right up to speed. . .

It's already Wednesday! It feels like just yesterday I was sitting down at my computer typing out what was my 200th post here. That was actually three days ago and so much has happened since then. So let's get right to it. . .

I worked again on Monday at the FL, making it seven straight days at the ol' shoe store. None of the days were over six hours, but it's still a big deal that I worked so many days in a row. I think. Either way, I left there and headed straight to practice, where I spent only about an hour. The girls were going to watch film from the Paraclete game (assumedly - I don't actually know) and I didn't find it completely necessary for me to be there. I left and headed out to Casita Lopez, my recent craving, to get myself some dinner. I came home and ate my burrito while watching some of the Tostitos Fiesta Bowl (live from Glendale, Arizona) that featured the undefeated number one team in the country (Ohio State) against the underdog, one-loss Florida Gators. No one was giving Florida a chance. So what did they do? They absolutely destroyed the Buckeyes. Final score: 41-14. Congrats Gators on a great victory - I was pulling for you all the way!

I went bowling on Monday night (from 2100-2330) and it was a return to form - the champ had returned. After embarassing myself by losing to my comrade Chris on Sunday (5 games to 4 - I was ridiculously inconsistent) I came out like never before, winning all five games in impressive fashion. My first three games resulted in a 524 series, by far the best three-game series of my brief amateurish career. My best game was a 182 (not the best) but it was my consistency that I liked. I never bowled under 140 and my average was 166 over six games. It was definitely what I needed after Sunday night.

Tuesday was my first day off in what felt like forever. I slept in and then headed to the local Barber Shop and had someone chop off all of my scraggly hair. I was well overdue - about a month late. I now have returned to being "Heather's Marine" (hey, it's the closest I can actually get to being such a stud) and will remain so for another month or so when my hair grows back. No, I'm not shaved (bald, whatever). The correct terminology is a number three blade all over. There you go. Now you can visualize it. . .

League play began on Tuesday and it required us to drive all the way out to Lucerne Valley, a place that no one should have to visit. It took us two hours to get out there. At least I was able to begin my new book, Chuck Palahniuk's Haunted. This is the author of the novel Fight Club, which of course inspired the great film of the same name. So far it is a very odd book, but I'm really getting into it. I'll let you know how it is as I go further (I'm barely 50 pages in).

Well it turns out that the Lucerne Valley girls basketball team is not made up of the sharpest tools in the shed. Academic ineligibility left them to bring up the JV girls to the varsity level, thus leading us to an extremely easy victory. The girls won 50-9 in what could have been a much worse defeat had we not pulled it way back. The guys also won (59-41) making both defending champions 1-0 in their title defense. Congrats players - come ready on Friday!

I woke up early this morning and headed into work at 1000. We were so unbelievably slow, but one lady presented myself and my associate manager Romique with a story that we were talking about all shift. This hispanic woman walks in and sees myself (an obviously white male) and Romique (a tall, black male) standing there ready to help her out. The first words out of her mouth: "Where are the other guys. . the Latinos?" Now this is usually not a problem. Often times there will be customers who come in who speak only Spanish. This was not that case. She spoke lots of English and apparently one of the other sales associates (apparently a Latino has she put it) had given her a discount or something the last time she was in. She preceded to try to tell us how we were wrong with everything that we offered on her exchange. At the end, after I had tried to be nice to her, she told me I had an attitude with her. Whatever. Then she asked us when the "other guys were coming in". We told her 1400 and she said she would be returning then (which she didn't) because they "knew more". She left having not only put us both in a bad place, but she left using profanities ("that shoe looks like shit", "hell no", etc.) in a public place.

Ok, listen bitch. For one, once we told your amigos about your idiocy, he regretted helping you out in the first place. Secondly, you don't know more than us. I have only been working there for a month and I know oodles more than you about these shoes here. Thirdly, not all Pumas are priced the same!!! (This was something she could not grasp) And lastly, as a courtesy to not only the employees of the store, but also to other customers, stop using profanity in the store. If you want to use it in your home, go for it. If you want to tell your kids certain things and just can't get that oomph across without it, then it's your perrogative. And if you have your own blog, guess what? You can do whatever the hell you want! See? But keep you stupid voice down when you have no other intelligent things to say but curse words. It makes you sound like some of our other customers who are just loud and profane themselves. So next time you want a discount, go to Foot Locker and talk to some of your homeys over there, because as far as Romique and I are concerned, you're toast honey. Thanks for shopping at Finish Line. Have a nice day. Now get the hell out. . .

On to some much nice news. . . I left work around 1515 and headed over to Heather's house. Why? Well my baby needed to come home tonight to pick up a text book that had been sent to her house. And even though we only got to see each other for an hour, it was the best hour of the week. We won't be able to see each other again until Sunday (I'll be heading down to CPP on Sunday to have a date night!) so it was a nice midweek surprise!

I could have gone to practice tonight, but I decided to skip it tonight. I needed a me break. Instead, I read some more in my book and then popped in ALI, a film that I have had for about two weeks from NETFLIX. The 2001 film starring Will Smith as the famed pugilist was really long, but I felt was really well done. I loved the Fresh Prince as Ali and loved Jon Voight as the famed sportscaster Howard Cosell even more. (Grade: B)

A quick note about Muhammad Ali. There are athletes that we all get the honor to watch. My generation has been able to grow up on Michael Jordan, Tiger Woods, and Ladanian Tomlinson. The 80's crowd had Magic Johnson, Larry Bird, Joe Montana, and many others. And a little bit further back there were the greats: Bill Russell, Johnny Unitas, Jack Nicklaus. However, with all those names up there, the one sports figure that I wish I could have watched live and in person was Muhammad Ali. Now, I am not a boxing fan. I really don't get my ya-ya's by watching two men beat the living crap out of each other. But if Ali was anything like the character that Will Smith portrayed (and I'm sure the film just touches the tip of the iceberg) then I would have loved this man. A man with principles (he was a strict Muslim), beliefs, and a quick wit to go alone with his huge mouth that he never seemed to close. He was Terrell Owens, Deion Sanders, and Ron Artest put together, but with a respect for his sport and his opponents (who he always claimed to be uglier than him). This man was quite possibly the greatest boxer ever (I won't argue it cuz I don't know) but most certainly one of the most recoginzeable men in history. Who couldn't name him if given this picture and a question of who it was:























I vote very few could not name the man taunting his fallen opponent (Sonny Liston for you who don't know that name). Thanks goes out to Michael Mann for showing a generation like mine a figure like that. I got 2 1/2 hours of Ali tonight. I wish I could have had 2 1/2 decades like those who grew up with him. . . I guess I'll settle for Lebron, Roger Federer, and Derek Jeter. Dangit. I got screwed. . .

Well that's quite enough for tonight. I hope you enjoyed my ramblings this evening. . .

Hit me up with some thoughts on this one - -

Thanks to all you readers out there! Your patronage is always welcome!!!

- - - "Float like a butterfly, sting like a bee.
His hands can't hit what his eyes can't see."

- - - Muhammad Ali

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

you may not be a physical Marine stud, but you are a philosophical one semper fi I believe means always faithful, always loyal Strive to always be that way

Cy said...

Agreed on people who swear in public places.

I was in Thai Cafe (a great restaurant for those of you who don't know) the other night with the folks and a woman at a table next to ours in a very loud voice said, "THAT'S A LOAD OF SH*T!"... every single head in the restaurant turned to her. You could tell she was a little embarrassed and sunk a little in her chair. Think before you speak, k?

Good entry.