Sunday, May 06, 2007

The Weekend Grab-Bag: The FTS Version

The post is rated R by the Blogger Association of America (or BAA). . . If there was one. . .

Well this past week has been good. . . and bad. Mostly bad. But good too. . . Anyway, onto the Grab-Bag, and as always (wow, it's been awhile since I've said this. . .) expect the wonderful unchronological goodness:

- Well I have to start with the title and its meaning. The T stands for the this/that and the other two letters stand for profanities. Get it? Got it. Good.

- I basically had that mentality several times during the weekend that has just been completed. It happened mostly during work at BJ's (which, believe me, I will get to momentarily) but also during a recliner-kicking, folder-throwing loss (because, well, that's what I did after the game) by my SUNS. What a tough game. . . We are now in the second round against the Spurs and today was Game 1. We lost 111-106 after an unbelievably competitive game that featured lead change after lead change. Unfortunately, our MVP Steve Nash got a nasty cut on his nose with a little under three minutes left (from a nasty collision with Spurs guard Tony Parker - that's Mr. Eva Longoria to you). This did not seem that bad at first and Nash actually hit a three and a layup over the next 45 seconds. But then, the bleeding would not stop! It was terrible! Nash ended up sitting the rest of the game as the training staff tried everything but taking his nose off to get it stop bleeding. See:





















We ended up losing because we missed a couple shots (Note to Amare: Use the damn backboard!!!) and our general was not on the floor at crunch time. That's it. Game 2 is a must-win for us and then we have to steal one in San Antonio to get back the home court advantage. . . I think we win the series in seven games. . . but who knows! Also, here are my other second round predictions: Warriors over the Jazz in six games, Nets over the Cavs in six games, and the Pistons over the Bulls in five games.

- Enough basketball (well, not really - - in my mind, there is NEVER enough basketball!) for now. On to my lack of Heather-time. It has now been one week since we have seen each other and it will continue through Thursday night. I am taking Aimee down to Arclight to see SPIDER-MAN 3 (don't tell me anything - - I was apparently the only American not to see it this weekend!) on Thursday (for HER birthday but on MY birthday - - confused?) and Heather is meeting us there! I'm excited! I am also excited to report that whenever we decide to get married (which is looking more and more like 2009. . . woohoo!) that we have ourselves a minister. Dr. Roland, my favorite teacher from high school besides Mr. Thomas, and I had lunch on Thursday of last week. I had wanted to ask his advice about my and Heather's situation and all that jazz as well as ask him if he could actually perform the ceremony, whenever that might be. He said he would be "honored" (when it's actually the other way around) and would even "pay his own way to get wherever it was we got married" (if it was far away). I couldn't be happier about that. . . But it is still over two years away, so I have to deal with this no-Heather thing for a little longer :( . . . and to that I say: FTS

- O yeah. . . a quick aside about basketball. This one is about me though. I have been playing basketball almost every weekend (either by myself or with a bunch of people at the park) and am loving the excercise. Not only have stories risen from the fun (BEAT TEAM!!! -- That's for literally one person to understand!) but I am always improving my game (especially with the amount of ball I'm watching!). George has actually been in town both of the last two weekends and we have played one-on-one each time. We are pretty even players skill-wise, so it is extremely competitive and brings out lots of: a) sweat, b) swearing, c) hard work. Yep, good times. . .

- I cleaned my room this weekend! No joke! Well, it's almost all the way done, but it is certainly more presentable then it was before :D

- I know what I said about a Summer Movie Preview, but the problem is that a lot of the big summer films are losing their luster in my eyes. Besides SPIDER-MAN 3 and KNOCKED UP (the new comedy from the guys who brought us THE 40-YEAR-OLD VIRGIN), I could live without seeing the rest of this year's offerings. . . But I still will. So, until I actually do a preview (Which is unlikely. . .) here is my list in order from lowest to highest in my opinion (click the title to head to the film's info page!)

20. SUPERBAD (08/17) - written by KNOCKED UP star Seth Rogen
19. BUG (05/25) - crazy psychological thriller
18. SURF'S UP (06/08) - surfing animated penguins
17. 1408 (07/13) - starring John Cusack!
16. TALK TO ME (07/20) - starring Don Cheadle
15. THE INVASION (08/17) - a remake starring Daniel Craig
14. LIVE FREE OR DIE HARD (06/29) - the fourth DIE HARD film (maybe rated PG-13!)
13. CHARLIE BARTLETT (08/03) - Robert Downey Jr. baby!!!
12. THE EX (05/11) - darkish comedy starring Zach Braff
11. FANBOYS (08/17) - a must-see for any STAR WARS fan
10. PIRATES OF THE CARIBBEAN: AT WORLDS END (05/25) - not nearly as excited after disappointment of the second film
09. TRANSFORMERS (07/04) - looks pretty good, but Michael Bay directed it. . .
08. 28 WEEKS LATER (05/11) - sequel to the great Danny Boyle film 28 DAYS LATER
07. EVAN ALMIGHTY (06/22) - love Steve Carell!
06. HARRY POTTER AND THE ORDER OF THE PHOENIX (07/13) - looks dark, cool, and exciting. . . can't ask for much more!
05. LICENSE TO WED (07/04) - marriage comedy starring Robin Williams as a priest and THE OFFICE's John Krasinski and Mandy Moore as the groom-and-bride-to-be
04. THE BOURNE ULTIMATUM (08/03) - final Jason Bourne film?
03. OCEAN'S 13 (06/08) - looks MUCH better than OCEAN'S 12
02. KNOCKED UP (06/01) - looks absolutely hilarious!
01. SPIDER-MAN 3 (05/04) - no contest. . . although the so-so reviews scare me. .

- Now onto the work front: I am quitting BJ's. Yes, I know I have been there barely a month. Yes, I realize I have only worked one "real" (meaning since we have been open) shift. Yes, I understand that it will PROBABLY get better over time (although right now the Server Assistants are making practically nothing compared to the amount of work we do) . . .

However. . .

FTS!!!

I worked on Saturday from 1500-2330 and it was an absolutlely terrible eight hours. Terrible! I dreaded going into work and I was right to think that. I can't explain it to anyone who is not working there though. Everyone that I've talked it over with at BJ's (former servers at JC's that moved over to BJ's) agrees with me and wishes they could do the same (they have to stick it out because of responsibilities and such). . .

So, I'm gonna do it.

It comes down to this, plain and simple-like: I'm not happy at the job. Period. End of story. Sure, I know that in the future I may not like a job and won't be able to quit or whatever. Well you know what? That's right: FTS! I can quit this job. I have another one! And I don't have time for this one right now - - I'll still go eat there (and will advise others to do the same) but BJ's is not the place for me to be employed. It's just not. . .

- Wow! It's 0100! I better get to sleep! Gotta work at the FL tomorrow (or today. . .)

Happy Anniversary Parents - - 24 years, right? Congratulations!

Goodnight all - - -

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey bud,
BEAT TEAM!!!! LOL

This weekend we will be over at the mormon church on j and 27th street east. Let me know if you want to go, it will be like 8-8 30 ish. If george is in town tell him to come. We are trying to get a lot of people to come.

The jazz are going to beat GS in 6, Cleveland in 5 over the nets, and Det over Chicago.....in a sweep!!!! Ya, they are playing like dogs right now. Live by the jump shot, die by the jumpshot.

Il talk to you later
Drew

Mike's Bloggity Blog said...

Bonne FĂȘte Justin!!!!!
I don't really follow sports, but i hope your team is still in it?!?!